VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

System Slows Down

We have a Dialogic 4/PCI card running on Windows XP Pro, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM.

I have a 120 module system running without any major problems. The problem happens when I try to test using more than one line; whenever a keypress is made during a prompt, the wave files take longer to respond and stop playing. With four lines running at once, the waves files take a really long time to respond. Also, it takes longer to go from module to module (there happens to be a pause before the next wave file plays). I'm wondering why the system seems to slow down dramatically when more lines are active. I am currently testing the system to be used with 28 lines. Am I going to have serious degradation of performance when 28 lines are active at once? Is there a way I can track system performance and tell where I can possibly regain some speed? Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

George

I would not expect any delay issues on your system - the system with your specs should be able to easily support 28 lines (should be OK for up to 60 lines).

The issues may lie in the script... could you please email us the script you are using (just the .VGS file - to support@katalinatech.com) and post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what is going wrong.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

Please post a trace of a normal call when there is only one call on the system, and another trace of a normal call when there are two calls on the system - pointing out where delay was experienced...

Which version of VoiceGuide are you using?

Any reason why XP is installed on this system instead of 2000 SP2 (as specified by Intel/Dialogic to be used when using Dialogic cards systems)?

Are you using Dialogic's System Release SR5.1.1 Drivers ?

We have conducted extensive testing on multi-line systems and have not found any noticeable delays when running multi-line systems under load - there are also a large number of deployed/live multi-line VoiceGuide systems used all over the world and we have not as yet have received any reports from any users about any system delays when multiple lines are used.

We have looked through the log traces from this system that were emailed to us and the traces show that on this system the Dialogic drivers take a long time to perform and end-of play command (regardless of whether 1 line or 4 lines are used). Log Traces show that when a key is pressed while playing a sound file Dialogic drivers take about a second to stop playing the sound file:

132625.88  6 PlaySoundStart ok [C:\IVR\CtrlNumEnter.wav]

132628.42  6 dtmf 5   (53,2)

132628.42  6 LsGetNbrsPlayWelcMsg 5

132629.44  6 PlaySoundStop ok

another example:

132632.67  6 PlaySoundStart ok

132637.88  6 dtmf 1   (49,2)

132637.88  6 LsGetNbrsPlayWelcMsg 1

132638.89  6 PlaySoundStop ok

Stopping the playing of sound file should take very little time, here is a trace from our test system:

152838.31  9 dtmf 1   (66425,49,2)

152838.31  9 ScriptEventCode 49 iLineState=1100

152838.31  9 LsPlayMsg 1

152838.38  9 PlaySoundStop ok

As there seems to be a problem with the way Dialogic drivers function on this system - could you please reformat this PC and do a clean install of Win2000 with SP2, then install SR5.1.1 then VoiceGuide 5.x and try running the scripts again.

The script size is still a lot smaller then some other scripts which are running out there - some users have 500+ module scripts - although with subscripting introduced in v5.0 of VoiceGuide we probably will not see scripts that size again...

The traces we received also show that the large number of Evaluate Expression modules used in that script does not slow down the script very much - trace shows how a chain of 18 Evaluate Expression and DB Query modules was executed in about 150ms... this time can still be improved if all the calculations and database transactions done by those modules are placed into a single VB Script module...

Email received from George quoted below:

We are using VoiceGuide version 5.0.2000.  We have the latest drivers for

our dialogic card, SR5.1.1.  Everything works as advertised.  The script I

have used works and creates the specified output I need.  There are no

problems there.  When I use one line and make one call at a time, there are

absolutely no problems.  However, using more than one line cause a slight

degradation in performance.  I have attached the two trace log files for a

one line call and our test of the four line system.  The four line test has

four people dialing a separate line and running the script 5 times for a

total of twenty calls.  There is no particular place where I can pinpoint

where a delay happens.  Sometimes it is between the playing of two wave

files and sometimes it is when a wave file keeps playing for one or two

seconds after a keypress.  I suspect this problem might have to do with

Windows XP and it's ridiculous number of processes it runs in the

background.  I am sending the two VGS files I created.  I am wondering if

there is something there that I can clean up.  (There are too many modules,

the modules are too complex or something else I have not considered that

could be slowing the system down)

Note to other readers of this thread:

It took some time and a few false leads before we could determine what the problem was. Please scroll down to post maked *** SOLUTION ***.

Original post:

D/4PCIU is a different card to D4PCI - and it looks like Intel says that FP1 needs to be installed on the system as well in order to use this card.

We understand the there is also a license fee for FP1 as well...

We have not yet tested D/4PCIU with VoiceGuide (it is still not available in many countries) and as such it is not supported by VoiceGuide at this time. We intend to test this card soon and once we have confirmed it's working properly (looks like some changes to VoiceGuide will be needed to work with this new card) the card will be added to the list of cards in the Recommended Hardware www page.

Only those Dialogoc cards listed in the Recommended Hardware www page should be used with VoiceGuide.

Edited by SupportTeam

In our defense, we did request your advice on system requirements through another posting back in August:

Topic - System Requirements , Min System requirements for 28 lines

Sam Posted: Aug 30 2003, 04:14 AM

Although we specifically asked about the PC we were looking to build, we also mentioned that we would be installing the Dialogic D/4PCIU card. Your reply at that time was

this will be OK.
I see now that you were referring to the PC only as we found out you have not tested the D/4PCIU card as of yet. Also, as for the note stating
Only those Dialogoc cards listed in the Recommended Hardware www page should be used with VoiceGuide.
, there is a link to a full listing of Dialogic cards with that list Full list of Dialogic cards which has the D/4PCIU board on it... and since we were informed the D/4PCI is being phased out, we interpreted this list as an 'OK' and went with the D/4PCIU. I've learned now to thoroughly question the equipment specs prior to purchase as the window to exchange the PCIU card closed just 4 days ago with the vendor, who of course is unwilling to work with us on exchanging it for the regular PCI card.

We will continue to pursue the exchanging of the card route, however, if this does not work, I'm not sure if I can get the approval to go out and buy another card. If I can get the approval and the tests are successful, I will be given the go ahead to purchase another D/4PCI and T1 card to complete the system (1 main system w/ 28 lines & a backup system w/ 4 lines; the original test system). I have two questions, #1 we have been told that the D/240PCI-T1 is being replaced by the D/240JCT-T1. Which card should be purchased?, and #2 If we get that far, any chance you'd be willing to help us out with the additional 4 port license fee when we go to purchase the additional 28 line license? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

It is our intention to ensure that VoiceGuide does work with the D/4PCIU - and all other new releases of Dialogic cards as they become available.

At this stage we have not yet tested VoiceGuide on Dialogic’s Feature Pack 1 (FP1) - so we recommend that only clean SR5.1.1 be used when running VoiceGuide (SP1 is optional and not necessary) - this means that for now cards which require FP1 installed are not officially supported.

We are working on getting VoiceGuide tested under FP1 and I believe that this should be done with a month or so.

#1 we have been told that the D/240PCI-T1 is being replaced by the D/240JCT-T1. Which card should be purchased?

I understand that both cards can be used with just SR5.1.1 - so either card can be used.

#2 If we get that far, any chance you'd be willing to help us out with the additional 4 port license fee when we go to purchase the additional 28 line license

A 28 port license is would be purchased by buying a 24 port license and a 4 port license.

What we'd recommend as a next step would be to:

1. Reformat

2. Install just Win2000 SP2

3. Place D/4PCIU in machine

4. Install SR5.1.1

5. Install SP1 for SR5.1.1

6. Install the "Support for D4PCIU on 5.1.1 Windows SP1" point release

7. Configure card as per install instructions in VG Help file.

or if using D4PCI the steps would be:

1. Reformat

2. Install just Win2000 SP2

3. Place D/4PCI in machine

4. Install SR5.1.1

5. Install SP1 for SR5.1.1

6. Configure card as per install instructions in VG Help file.

Another user has commented that they have encountered a similar problem with their installation (system taking a second to stop playing) and they were able to resolve it by uninstalling the Dialogic System Release, rebooting and then re-installing System Release again (they used SR5.1.1 + SP1 on Win2000 Pro machine)

We have acquired a d/4PCI card and reformatted our system with Win 2000 SP2, Added Dialogic SR5.1.1 and then Service Pack 1. We are still having the same problem. I have run the four line test again and have attached it's results in VGLA1030.TXT. However, for some strange reason, every now and then, we receive a quick response. I have attached VGLB1030.TXT to demonstrate that there is actually a quick response. Notice the time from 112852.06 to 112852.11 = .05 seconds. The script returns a quick response at this module only; and not very often. For the most part the average response time on our system is 1.02 seconds. This is also true when running your sample scripts. Re-installing the SR5.1.1 as suggested did not work. We have noticed there are numerous parameters which can be changed for the dialogic card. Is there any setting here which can speed up the response time? Also, in the first log file, VGLA1030.TXT, there was a long delay from 105013.80 to 105019.19 on line 8. The wave file played for an additional 3 seconds after pressing 0 at 105013.80 even though the log shows the file stopped at 1.02 seconds later.

VGLA1030.txt

Have you had a chance to review our last post on 10/31/03? We are on hold until this gets resolved. Any help would be appreciated.

We have looked at it. And are a bit stuck as to what the problem may be with this system. It looks like on this system the Wave drivers block for a second to stop playing and during that time everything else stops... So on this system if a number of lines stop playing at the same time then there is a significant delay (couple of seconds or so) when processing DTMF presses etc etc.

I was told that our programmers have suggested making some changes to the way VoiceGuide sends the files to the card - and they should have something to send to you as a test over the next few days.

Just want to check in and see how your programmers are coming on sending us that test mentioned on 11/7/03.

Thanks again for your help.

*** SOLUTION ***

On some analog based Dialogic systems when installing the "Dialogic Analog" option results in the 1 second delays when stopping playing.

We have now been able to replicate the problem and found a solution.

Ways of resolving the problem (in your case see option 3):

1. Uninstall v5.1.3 and install v5.1.4 That version (& onwards) will not have this bug anymore.

or

2. (for v5.1.3) Just install the TAPI option - there will not be delays when stopping playing then (this bug is only when you select "Dialogic Analog" option). If using Dialogic cards you will need to update all sound files to be correct format... so what you could do is first install "Dialogic Analog", copy sound files to safe place then install TAPI and replace the sound files...

or

3. Update your current v5.1.3 with the attached OCX. To update OCX you need to (in DOS Command window) :

1. Go to Windows System 32 directory

2. run command: regsvr32 -u TapiWrap.ocx

3. copy new TapiWrap.ocx into the System32 directory

4. run command regsvr32 TapiWrap.ocx

TapiWrap.zip

Please note that when you install the TAPI option you will no longer be able to detect 'loop current drop' when using Dialogic cards - you will need to configure the disconnection tone settings in Dialogic's TSP and rely on the disconnect/busy tone detection to determine end of call.

The OCX attached in previous post is just the 'TAPI option' OCX so installing that OCX will disable the Loop Current Drop detection.

Just wanted to let you know that our initial tests indicate that everything appears to be good. wav file start & stop are lightening fast. Thanks again for your help.