VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vistadb Connection String

I am having difficulty specifying a connection provider to VistaDB version 3.4. Is this possible with VoiceGuide version 6.x?

VistaDB is a .NET database and has ADO.NET drivers but does not have ODBC drivers

VoiceGuide v7 can natively work with ADO.NET drivers; you just specify the ADO.NET data provider name in the "Database" field. See http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/html/moddbquery.htm for examples.

In v6 you would need to use VBScript to create the ADO.NET provider instance and issue the commands to make the queries etc. It’s a lot more fiddly then just using the Database Query module, which you can use in v7.

According to VistaDB Support, there is no way to create a connection from VBscript because they do no expose the provider through a com ojbect. Do you have a sample provider connection string? If so, I would be happy to try it. I have tried everything and it doesn't appear there is a way to use VBscript to create a connection and/or recordset for Vistadb.

Sounds like the easiest thing to do is to just upgrade to VoiceGuide v7. You would then be able to interact with this database directly from the Database Query module.

I download v7 to test out if it would connect to a vistaDB. Don't I still need to specify a connector string and provider in the Database Query Module? My understanding is that they only way v7 talks to Vistadb is through the Load Numbers Module. Please advise.

In v7 in the Database Query module you can specify the ADO.NET data provider name in the 'Database' text box, and the connect string to your database in the "Connect String" text box. The VistaDB Data Provider name is: VistaDB.NET20

The connect string for VistaDB would be something like this:

Data Source='c:\your path\your db name.vdb3';Open Mode=NonexclusiveReadWrite

And then just specify your SQL statement in the Query text box.

My understanding is that they only way v7 talks to Vistadb is through the Load Numbers Module.

VoiceGuide also happens uses VistaDB as the default database for storing the outbound calls (this can be changed as per here), but that does not stop you from also using VistaDB from within the VoiceGuide scripts. Some users even chose to manage data in VG's own vgDb.vdb3 using the DBQuery module, there is nothing preventing you from accessing any database.

Thanks...that's exactly what I need! Is there any way to check if my computer has this provider present? That is, does the provider get installed automaically with version 7 or would it be there because I have already installed VistaDB version 3.4?

does the provider get installed automaically with version 7

Yes, but the version is 3.3 (Version=3.3.1.57 actually), not 3.4, so it's best for you to install the v3.4 yourself.

would it be there because I have already installed VistaDB version 3.4?

Yes.

Also, VoiceGuide lists all the ADO.NET providers installed on the system in the vgEngine trace file.

eg:

104250.976 5 0 ado.net factory classes installed on this system:

104250.976 5 0 System.Data.Odbc : Odbc Data Provider, .Net Framework Data Provider for Odbc, System.Data.Odbc.OdbcFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

104250.976 5 0 System.Data.OleDb : OleDb Data Provider, .Net Framework Data Provider for OleDb, System.Data.OleDb.OleDbFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

104250.976 5 0 System.Data.OracleClient : OracleClient Data Provider, .Net Framework Data Provider for Oracle, System.Data.OracleClient.OracleClientFactory, System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

104250.976 5 0 System.Data.SqlClient : SqlClient Data Provider, .Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer, System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

104250.976 5 0 VistaDB.NET20 : VistaDB Data Provider, .Net Framework Data Provider for VistaDB, VistaDB.Provider.VistaDBProviderFactory, VistaDB.NET20, Version=3.3.1.57, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=dfc935afe2125461