VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Text To Speech Error

Text To Speech returns the following error when VoiceGuide7 service is running. When I stop the service it works fine.

This is the error I get

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80045039

It fails on line 2 of the following code

Dim Token As ISpeechObjectToken

For Each Token In vox.GetVoices

cboVoxOptions.Items.Add(Token.GetDescription())

Next

I have attached the program that I am using to test

TTS_Reader.zip

Just to add to the post. I just tried to run a voiceguide script with a TTS module. The TTS did not play. I have attached the logs and the script.

VGLogs.zip

Please update to the latest version of VoiceGuide v7 and report results when using that newest version. If problems persist please post traces from this new version.

Which TTS engine are you using?

Upgraded to V 7.0.6. Getting the same error. Nothing is played to me over the phone when I call in. I have included all the logs as well as the script file that I am running. Please help.

log.zip

Please update to the latest version of VoiceGuide v7. The version currently installed on your system is quite old.

If problems persist please post traces from the current version of VoiceGuide v7.

I told you I just installed the very latest version downloaded from your website. The traces ARE from this version.

VERSION 7.0.6 --- This is what is available on your site.

OK, I completely uninstalled VoiceGuide, deleted the C:\VoiceGuide dir, rebooted, then reinstalled the very latest version (7.0.6) from your website. Attached is a screenshot showing that I have the latest version installed. I dont know why the log says its a previous version. The exact same thing is happening -- attached log files. Please help!!! - this is taking too much time already to wait an entire day just to keep telling me to install the latest version.

VG_Screenshot.doc

0923_ktTts.zip

OK, Specifiying the voice in the INI file produced a successful result within VoiceGuide. However, the real problem here is that I use a seperate script to generate the TTS files. Now when the VoiceGuide service is running I get an error when I try to generate the TTS file with standard SAPI practices. When I stop the service, everything works correctly.

To reproduce my issue all you need to do is run the TTS_Reader that I sent in an earlier post. Try it with and without the VoiceGuide service running. You will find that it errors when VoiceGuide is running even though it is an entirely different application. My best guess is that VoiceGuide is somehow exclusively using the TTS resources.

Another solution to this problem would be for me to be able to play a TTS voicefile through an external VBScript. Do you have any examples of this available?

You could have a VBScript save the text to be played in a text file, and telling VoiceGuide to play that text file. VoiceGuide will automatically TTS contents of a .txt files specified to be played.

That is exactly what I am doing but it fails on creation. There is DEFINATELY a problem with VoiceGuide version 7 and TTS. Did you try to recreate the problem as I explained earlier using the TTS_Reader?

I have tried it on 2 computers with the same result. VoiceGuide service is definately stepping on the TTS SAPI functionality. Please try it and get back to me.

That is exactly what I am doing but it fails on creation.

You can't create a Text (.txt) file?

Just create a normal .txt file and then specify that .txt file in VoiceGuide as the file to be played. VoiceGuide will TTS the .txt file itself.

Just tried that - it just plays a series of 3 DTMF tones. I have attached the text file as well

Here is how I call it - it plays a normal vox file correctly.

mobjVoiceguide.Play_Start(1, "C:\VoiceGuide\VGBones7\test.txt")

test.txt

Can you try playing the C:\VoiceGuide\VGBones7\test.txt file from a VoiceGuide Play type module?

It does look like right now the TTS is not working when .txt file is specified in a Play_Start COM function call. This will be fixed in next release (v7.0.7).

We usually recommend that any playing of sound files is done from a VoiceGuide module, and not by just calling the COM function.

The modules (Play, Get Numbers, etc) provide the functionality required to handle user's keypresses etc. as well as replays in cases of no answer from user etc.

Why do you must use Play_Start to start the play? Can you use a Play etc. module for this? Can you post your script here to better show us how you are using Play_Start COM command in your script.

Basically I am using the VoiceGuide API to run my program. I control it from an external .NET application. This has been working great for the last couple years in version 6. However, now I'd like to upgrade to version 7 because of the SpeechRec and Service capabilities of it. The reason I dont use the modules is because I find them to be very cumbersome for a complicated IVR. When I use the API in a .NET app I can completely control all of my DB read/writes as well as call flow right in the code.

I hope the TTS will work in the next version. I would also strongly urge you to look at the problem that I mentioned before about the VoiceGuide service stepping on SAPI. This affects any app that is using SAPI to stop functioning - meaning I cannot even call an external app to generate TTS while the VoiceGuide service is functioning. I have successfully recreated this problem on 2 different computers. Please let me know if you are able to provide a fix for that. As of now, I am not sure what to do for TTS - this has put a huge halt on my progress.

Thank you,

The now released v7.0.7 should be able to the TTS when the Play_Start functin is called with .txt file as input.

Furthermore we have ran some tests using the sample programs that are installed with the Microsoft SAPI 5.1 SDK (eg: "VB Simple TTS") and they were able to generate a .WAV file while the VoiceGuide service is running.