VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Generalizing Outbound Scripts

I am looking at VoiceGuide for a slightly unusual application -

We want to dial OUT to a 3rd party service that provides an IDD service and use their standard DTMF driven IVR menu to setup multiple speed-dials that are replicated to multiple user accounts - so our users have a common list of speed dials that we can maintain through an automatic process without them all having to sit and tap-tap-tap hundreds of characters over the phone themselves.

I can set up a script that I tested with a simple modem that breaks down the overall action:

1. Play '1' DTMF to select language, timeout 2

2. Play 'xxxxxxx#' DTMF to enter users account number, timeout 3

3. Play '3' DTMF to access menu, timeout 1

6. Play "xx#" DTMF to select the speed dial slot, timeout 7

7. Play "Destination Name" text-to-voice to record name of speed dial, timout 1

9. Play "Destination Tel. No." DTMF to record the number to dial, timout 1

etc

Questions:

AA. So, outside VG I can programatically create the call list with 1 record for each user/speed-dial combination driven by our internal telephone directory, but how do I pass the variable parameters for steps such as [2], [6], [7], [9] so I have 1 script that can adapt to all the required alternatives rather than having to hard-code every permutation ?

BB. In the simple test, the Destination Tel. No. often fails to register. This seems to be because it is quite a long DTMF string and the modem can't handle it. Is there any setting to extend the length of the DTMF tones played so the sequence isn't quite so rapid ?

Regards

Ian

AA. So, outside VG I can programatically create the call list with 1 record for each user/speed-dial combination driven by our internal telephone directory, but how do I pass the variable parameters for steps such as [2], [6], [7], [9] so I have 1 script that can adapt to all the required alternatives rather than having to hard-code every permutation ?

Use $RVs within the script and just set the value for th $RV at the time each of the outbound calls is loaded. See: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/ht...ltvariables.htm

$RVs can be specified when the outgoing call is loaded/queued see: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/ht...iallistinto.htm

This seems to be because it is quite a long DTMF string and the modem can't handle it. Is there any setting to extend the length of the DTMF tones played so the sequence isn't quite so rapid ?

You can use commas between the digits to specify a delay. On a modem a comma usually represents a 2 second delay.

We'd recommend using a Dialogic card for this. You will encounter all sorts of problems with modems.

Thanks,

1. The scripting variables seem fine - as long a the system will interprete the string as DTMF tones and not sound file names.

2. On the DTMF tones, I was looking for a longer BEEP rather than a space between beeps. Certainly on my modem, the comma just truncates the sequence rather than giving a pause and/or the 1 second pause is taken as end-of-input by the target application.

1. The scripting variables seem fine - as long a the system will interprete the string as DTMF tones and not sound file names.

The system should play strings of numbers as DTMF tones. How are you currently having it play DTMF tone?

2. On the DTMF tones, I was looking for a longer BEEP rather than a space between beeps. Certainly on my modem, the comma just truncates the sequence rather than giving a pause and/or the 1 second pause is taken as end-of-input by the target application.

On Dialogic cards you can adjust the length of the DTMF tone and the pause in between successive DTMF tones. On modems you usually can't.

Right - Can you help by recommending a specific Dialogic card that works with VG just using a single normal analog telephone line ?

Thanks

We have found a Dialogic's reseller very close by so hope to get a test unit to confirm all this works.

Looking at your pricing, if I am only interested in these outbound calls (sending DTMF tones and Text-to-Speech), am I able to purchase ONLY the Dialer application or do I require the full VoiceGuide PLUS the Dialer in addition ?

Thanks

The Dialer is an add-on to VoiceGuide. It is not a standalone product. Sounds like you need the "Professional+Dialer" version of the software.