VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Defaulting To Mike's Voice ?

I am using VoiceGuide (Version 6.0.3003) product and also purchased the two 8 KHz voices (Mike & Crystal)

from AT&T Natural Voices. I have only installed Mike's voice via AT&T Natural Voices.

However, Crystal's voice seems to pop up on the db call modules of the IVR I created. How do I default to Mike's voice ?

Does vg.ini need to be modified ?

Let me know - Thanks,

George

If you are seeing errors when trying to run TTSApp or SAPI.CPL then we'd advise re-installing SAPI and then reinstalling the TTS engines after that.

Information on setting the TTS voice can be found here: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/html/config_tts.htm

I have tried to follow the instructions in your document but am coming up with initialization errors when I try to run TTSApp or SAPI.CPL.

Do I have reinstall the SAPI engine ?

Sorry, though we have the Microsoft Speech Engine installed, it is AT&T's TTS engine (Natual Voice) we are using. Someone suggested a reinstall of Mike could fix the problem. However, I want to confirm that is indeed the solution & not possibly opening up more unforseen problems.

Information on setting the TTS voice can be found here: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/source/html/config_tts.htm

I have tried to follow the instructions in your document but am coming up with initialization errors when I try to run TTSApp or SAPI.CPL.

Do I have reinstall the SAPI engine ?

Sorry, though we have the Microsoft Speech Engine installed, it is AT&T's TTS engine (Natual Voice) we are using. Someone suggested a reinstall of Mike could fix the problem. However, I want to confirm that is indeed the solution & not possibly opening up more unforseen problems.

BTW, I did a reinstall on Mike, but it didn't resolve the problem. Crystal's voice comes thru, poor and crackling quality, for db call msgs.

Does VG get confused if both Natural Voice and MS TTS engines are installed ?

Are you able to run SAPI.CPL ?

Is Mike selected as the default voice in SAPI.CPL ?

VoiceGuide v7 allows you to specify the TTS voice direct in the VG.INI file. VG v6 relies on the voice being set using the SAPI.CPL.

Are you able to run SAPI.CPL ?

Is Mike selected as the default voice in SAPI.CPL ?

VoiceGuide v7 allows you to specify the TTS voice direct in the VG.INI file. VG v6 relies on the voice being set using the SAPI.CPL.

I cannot run. SAPI. Here is the error msg which I receive:

"The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary enginne could not be created. Please select a different and/or different audio device".

I was told by a prior developer that the AT&T Natural Voice is the TTS engine, not Microsoft.

Please contact me directly, as I want to get this issue resolved today !!!

If you cannot run SAPI.CPL on this system then probably the best thing to do is to re-install SAPI system itself. The SAPI SDK can be downloaded from Microsoft. There is a link to the SAPI SDK download on our Downloads page.

If you cannot run SAPI.CPL on this system then probably the best thing to do is to re-install SAPI system itself. The SAPI SDK can be downloaded from Microsoft. There is a link to the SAPI SDK download on our Downloads page.

If have reinstalled SAPI via your download link. Still get the msg above when trying to access SAPI.CPL, and a woman's voice (Crystal ?) is still being default in my IVR.

Not sure why the TTS voice is not selecting.

As a test can you try installing VoiceGuide v7 and seeing if you can select the AT&T Mike in the v7 VG.INI

V7 can be installed without uninstalling v6.

Not sure why the TTS voice is not selecting.

As a test can you try installing VoiceGuide v7 and seeing if you can select the AT&T Mike in the v7 VG.INI

V7 can be installed without uninstalling v6.

I was told by the prior developer that they were issues upgrading to VG - version 7. I will try to find out what those issues were today.

In the meantime, is there any other way to set the default voice besides setting it in sapi.cpl ? Example - Could you set the default voice globally in the first module of a custom IVR ? If not, how can I resolve the issue I am getting with sapi.cpl ?

In the meantime, is there any other way to set the default voice besides setting it in sapi.cpl ?

Not in v6.

v7 does this better then v6 by allowing you to specify the TTS voice from within the VG.INI file.

In the meantime, is there any other way to set the default voice besides setting it in sapi.cpl ?

Not in v6.

v7 does this better then v6 by allowing you to specify the TTS voice from within the VG.INI file.

That's great, but I have to keep with v6 since we have Windows 2000 & v7 isn't capatable with it (and the company isn't upgrading).

I found a workaround via using tags:

[WelBackName]

Type=Play

DispSize=69

Txt=Welcome back the user by name.

Replay=0,0

strTtsText=<voice required="name=Mike"> Welcome back, $RV[LoadEmpData_2_1] </voice>

on {timeout 0} goto [Main Menu]

However I am not able to use the tags with Say Numbers. The coding below would still default to Crystal:

[PTravHotelReadConf]

Type=Say Numbers

DispSize=69

Txt=Say the number, amount, date or the digits. See the list o options to see how the number supplied can be interpreted and spoken out...

PlayFile2=<voice required="name=Mike"> $RV[HotelConfSpoken] </voice>

Replay=0,0

SayNbrType=Digits

on {timeout 0} goto [PTravHotelMenu]

Position=4036,539

Any suggestions ?

I found a workaround via using tags:

<voice required="name=Mike"> Welcome back, $RV[LoadEmpData_2_1] </voice>

OK, thanks for letting us know, we will add this to the help file as a recommended workaround for others who may encounter a similar problem.

However I am not able to use the tags with Say Numbers.

The Say Numbers module doe not use TTS. It takes the pre-recorded sound files from VoiceGuide's \system\voice\ subdirectory and concatenates them together to play the number/date/etc. You can replace the digit sound files in \system\voice\ with your own TTS generated ones if you wish, but if you want to use TTS to say the number then you could just say the entire text from a Play module. Many TTS engines allow you to use tags to specify how a supplied number should be spoken. You'll need to see what options your TTS engine supports.