VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Text To Speech

VG 7 - I have Cepstral David-8kHz installed with the Cepstral engine and selected the MS TTS box. How do I get VG to use this voice. All the scripts I write do not use that voice. ALSO, how do I introduc a pause before the script runs. It starts teh instant the phone is picked up and by the time i get the receiver to my ear, the script is almost over

Just to check things, I installed a Cepstral female voice and makes no differenc. VG is not seeing the selected voice. It always uses the default voice that shound like a 1963 sci-fi movie

how do I introduc a pause before the script runs.

You could just use a .WAV file that plays silence.

Are you able to generate .WAV files with SAPI's own WAV generating app?

The wave file works fine, BUT VG advertises that it can use TTS engines that produce better quality speech. These are not static files; they are dynamically produced for each message or group of messages. The system creates a message that goes to email and phones. The text of the email message is sent to VG with a list of phone numbers. The problem is that to create the wav file I must call the Cepstral TTS engine as a DOS process and then retrieve the wav file.

i.e. c:\stt\cepstral\bin\swift.exe o wavfile

This is just extra steps that should not be necessary since VG accepts text that can be converted to TTS. Your own documentation states that it will use the voice selected in the MS Text to Speech panel and this is what I need. This was one of the reasons I chose VG

So HOW can I make this this happen

VoiceGuide support SAPI compatible TTS engines. Easiest way to check if the TTS engine you have installed is SAPI compatible is to use SAPI's demo TTS generation application: Talker.

If the SAPI Talker app can generate the WAV file then VoiceGuide should work as well, as it calls the same SAPI functions as the SAPI Talker app does.

You may need to install the SAPI 5.1 SDK on your system to get the SAPI Talker demo app installed.

Attached is the wav file generated by the SAPI Talker app that uses the Cepstral voice (Cepatral is 100% SAPI compatible), but VG still uses the default TTS voice when I add text to the "Text to Speak" in script builder

textfromMS.wav

The SAPI talker app used to create the wav file is as you suggested, from the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1

After looking at this system it was determined that the Speech control panel applet was not setting the default SAPI TTS voice as expected.

A change was made in the software to allow the selection of the TTS engine to be made in the VG.INI file, specifying the name of the TTS engine using a tag TTSEngine in the [sAPI] section of the VG.INI file,

This change will be included in the next release of VoiceGuide v7.

how do I introduc a pause before the script runs.

You could just use a .WAV file that plays silence.

Are you able to generate .WAV files with SAPI's own WAV generating app?

If it is, how to deal with; it isn't, how to deal with?

If it is, how to deal with; it isn't, how to deal with?

Could you please explain your question in more detail.