VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Voice Quality

I am using Voice Guide 6.0.3107 Enterprise 24 line version with a Dialogic D/240JCT-T1 card.

Currently we are using AT&T natural voices software (Crystal) saved at the PCM 8.000kHz, 8bit MONO format. The problem is these prompts sound terrible at 8kHz, they are acceptable at 11kHz. I realize Voice Guide for Dialogic will only use 8kHz files. I know the TAPI driver will support the 11kHz files but has lots of "issues" running.

My question is :

"Is there any software solution on the horizon that will allow voice guide for dialoic to play these files 11kHz ?"

This is becomming a major concern going forward with our applications.

Thank you in advance

Kevin A. Bamonte

The 11kHz sound files will sound better when played over the PC speaker when compared with 8kHz sound files. A 22kHz sound file would probably sound even better...

A telephone line has a max frequency response of 4kHz at most and that's why 8kHz resolution sound files are sufficient when actually playing over phone lines. The frequencies over 4kHz would not even get transmitted over the phone lines but it is those higher frequencies that appear to make the TTS file sound better when played over PC speakers.

It's not the frequency itself that you should be looking at. have a listen to some other (8kHz) samples and you'll see marked differences between engines. There are better TTSs engines then AT&T. You would probably have to look at some of the products offered by Nuance and Cepstral. They cost more then AT&T though. See http://www.voiceguide.com/vgDownload.htm for TTS links.