VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Caller Id Workaround With A D/21d Card

Ok, tell me if this would work... I have a D/21D card that I picked up CHEAP, but knowing that this card does not support caller ID, I wondered if I could write a script that would grab the caller id info from an installed voice modem and then transfer control to the dialogic card? It sounds concievable, I haven't tried it yet as I'm still at work. I would split the phone line so it runs into both cards but only one will have access to the line at a time. I got the Dialogic card for 20 bucks and it works great! So if this works, I'll have plenty left to buy this great software! Any help, tips, and tricks are welcome!!

Yes it could be done - you would need some sort of software which monitors the modem and makes the Caller ID information reported by the modem available to others... and the VoiceGuide should be able to read that information in when the script which answers the call starts..

The easiest way would be for the modem app to save the Caller ID info to a text file, and VoiceGuide would then read in the contents of the text file when it starts.. Have a look at the VG Help file's section on VB Script module for samples of how to read in information from text files.

Ok, starting with the most efficient solution first, I have this config working . . . I have the voice modem installed and the dialogic board installed, the phone line running into the "line" port on the modem, then out of the "phone" port on the modem and into the line 1 of my dialogic board. Voiceguide is running a bare script (just the hangup module) on the modem line so all it does is read in the caller id and pops it up on the screen. Now since it doesn't actually answer the line, I have the script on the dialogic board to answer in a few rings and load the voicemail script. Everything works perfectly thus far, but my question is if I can write a script for the dialogic line to read the callerid info off of the modem line? Will the CID info on the modem line put those values into $RV_CIDNAME and $RV_CIDNUMBER for global reading??? I haven't had a chance to start scripting that part (I'm at work) but I thought I'd ask to see if it is even possible first. Another solution off this same setup I would assume would be to just write into the modem script to log that info to a csv text file for global reading. Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers,

-Sean

The simplest approach would be to have the script running on modem line should save the Caller ID information to a text file (or database etc) and the script on the Dialogic line should then read the contents of that file (or database etc).

You could also try using the COM function RvGet - using the Run VB Script module - to get the Caller ID from the modem line...