VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Control Of Call Transfer With D\4pci

I have just gotten my autoattendant and Voicemail system working. It is pretty slick. All seem to work well under normal circumstances. I am working on error handling. I us an NEC Electra Professional II and I connect 2 ext from an analog port card to the D\4PCI. One line ext 199 monitors all incoming lines and answers if the call is not picked up by the forth ring. It Plays a list of departments and waits for a selection, then transfers the call. The second line ext 200 is the voicemail system. If a message is to be left for someone not here we transfer the call to 200. The autoattendant (199) will also transfer to 200 thereby freeing up that ext for another call.

Here is my concern.

We use (hook flash/ext no/ hangup) to transfer calls. If the ext is busy I think the customer is left with hanging up and calling back. If a call is transfered and nobody answers the line will ring back to the transfering ext. thus the customer hears the welcome message again.

1. How do I control the transfer? (ie. detect ring or busy before hanging up)

2. internal calls to the Dialogic card ring diffently than outside calls. Internal calls take twice as many rings to answer.

3. The NEC system uses a central tone generator. Digital phone (most of ours) can't control voicemail because no tone are generated.

Thanks for your help.

1. How do I control the transfer? (ie. detect ring or busy before hanging up)

Right now this is not possible - your only option is to use an 'announced transfer' if you need to confirm if an extension has been answered...

Detection if a call has been answered based on ring-back detection is not very reliable - if the call is answered immediately by recipient of the call then often the caller (VG) would not even hear any ring-back tones at all... and then there is no way of determining if the transferred call has been answered or not...

The most reliable way would be to use announced transfers and have the voicemail script running on ext200 to play a DTMF tone "1" at the very beginning of the script - which would be acting to accept the announced call transfer..

Having calls ‘bounce-back’ if the destination extension is busy is quite acceptable on basic PBX systems… the only way to avoid this is to have enough lines available on the PBX & IVR/Voicemail to always handle the traffic…

Can you set up the switch so that if ext199 is busy then it sends a call to another extension (managed by VG as well)?

2. internal calls to the Dialogic card ring differently than outside calls. Internal calls take twice as many rings to answer.

You can play with the RING settings in the Dialogic TSP - maybe you can set them in such a way that both RING types are counted similarly...

3. The NEC system uses a central tone generator. Digital phone (most of ours) can't control voicemail because no tone are generated.

The phone handsets need to be able to generate DTMF tones (of the PBX should generate them on their behalf). If the phone system cannot issue DTMF tones then you would not be able top control any IVR system, using those phones.. It is very unusual to have phones which cannot sent DTMF tones... are you sure you cannot change this using some sort of setting on the phones themselves or on the PBX?