VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Configuriing Inband Signaling

I've recently upgraded to VG Enterprise v4.90. I was under the impression that that would automatically turn on inband signalling. However I still don't see caller ID displayed in the default reports. Is this something I have to configure first? If so, then can you tell me how to go about this?

I'm using a Nortel PBX which I have no control over. The script simply answers the phone then plays an audio and then hangsup. I've watched calls as they are answered using the 'trace' and it say's 'INBAND not detected'. I've set the configuration to answer on 2 rings instead of 1 in hopes that would solve the problem. Can you tell me what I need to check for to make sure it's not a configuration problem?

Sounds like the Nortel PBX is not sending any Inband Signaling...

Easy to check - place an extension headset against your ear and keep the 'handset on hook' switch depressed so that that handset can accept calls.

make a call to that extension and when the call arrives lift the hand off the 'handset on hook' switch - if there is any Inband Signaling sent you will hear it then a quick series of DTMF tones.

(You will not be able to hear the tones usually if you just normally pick up the handset as the playing of the tones would have finished by the time you raise the handset to your ear...)

Inband Signaling is sent immediately after VoiceGuide answers the call - it does not matter after how many rings the call is answered.

Inband Signaling is different to "Caller ID Signaling" (although Caller ID can be supplied by Inband Signaling method).

You should speak with the people who provide the telephone lines you are using to establish how they can provide the Caller ID information to you...

Therefore, Inband signalling would have to configured on the PBX in order to receive the caller ID String?! Without the inband signaling on the software, would I have been able to receive the caller ID string if the PBX was sending it?

Therefore, Inband signalling would have to configured on the PBX in order to receive the caller ID String?!

Yes. Telephone companies send Caller ID as a modem-type communication (usually BellCode 1200) between first and second ring, but PBXs do not use this method - the only way that a PBX can send CallerId or other info on the same line is by using Inband Signaling - and the PBX must be set up to do that.