VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

How To Register Vg As Com Component

My wife and I work in a SOHO setup with 4 PC's on a LAN. One of the four boxes is an NT 4.0 SP 6 box dedicated for use as our IVR. The box is small (233 mHz/32M ram) and under-powered for any other purpose. We have 3 lines served by a D4/PCI dialogic card, providing TAPI services for VoiceGuide.

I'm interested in using VoiceGuide much like CallCorder has been designed for -- but need the COM interface to do the recording as no one sits at this dedicated IVR box and I want to interface to it from multiple PC's on the LAN.

I am developing applications in VB6 on my XP Home box. I have an available VB6 reference of "VoiceGuide" likely from the initial install of the trial version and have referenced it within my project.

Problem: When I move an executable to the IVR and run it, it gives the error:

"Runtime error -429" "ActiveX component can't create object". Checking the differences between boxs related to the Windows registery, I can see that VoiceGuide is NOT registered as a COM component on my NT 4.0 box.

I've tried both:

"C:\> regsvr32 C:\Program Files\ivg\VgMulti.exe"

and

"C:\> C:\Program Files\ivg\VgMulti.exe /RegServer"

I believe the latter is how the components were registered on my XP box -- but that doesn't seem to work for my NT box.

Any ideas on how I can register VgMulti.exe for COM component usage on NT 4??

It sounds like VoiceGuide has been uninstalled from you development PC - just install it again and then the ActiveX component will be able to be created - ie VoiceGuide will be able to start... VGMULTI.EXE is the actual ActiveX server which needs to start...

If you want to have your app call the VoiceGuide ActiveX server on another machine then you will need to look into using DCOM...

May be a bit confusing in my explanation --

1) COM registry entries DO exist on the XP (Development) box, where there is no Dialogic card, yet the references are available to VB6 projects (VgMulti.exe exists on the box, but is not the licensed instance, I'm not trying to run VoiceGuide there at all)

2) COM registry entries DO NOT exist on the NT 4.0 (IVR) box, where the Dialogic is running, yet there are NO references available to the resulting VB6 executable that is being deployed to it.

So the question remains -- how do I register VgMulti.exe on the NT box? Is there any other way than a re-install of IVG?

== Thanks for the tip on DCOM ==

I'll have to look into the differences. I've not had that much exposure to COM at all, let alone DCOM, but it sounds resonable to me.....

1) COM registry entries DO exist on the XP (Development) box, where there is no Dialogic card, yet the references are available to VB6 projects (VgMulti.exe exists on the box, but is not the licensed instance, I'm not trying to run VoiceGuide there at all)

If VG is installed on the machine then you will see a VoiceGuide COM object registered on that machine.

2) COM registry entries DO NOT exist on the NT 4.0 (IVR) box, where the Dialogic is running, yet there are NO references available to the resulting VB6 executable that is being deployed to it.

There should be - are you running v5.0 or later on that machine? Only v5.0 or later acts as an ActiveX server...