VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Faxes: Handoff, Transfer, Line Sharers

There seem to be a few of us here trying to cope with faxes and there have been several answers across different topics. I'd like to try to pull them together here.

When a fax comes in there seems to be three choices:

1) VG detects the Fax and hands off to a different program

2) VG detects the Fax and performs a transfer (pbx) to a different number

3) A line sharer answers the call and routes CNGs to a fax (or fax modem) line and non-CNGs to VG.

I've had problems with each of these - though at least one of them should work.

1) I can't get VG to detect a fax call - I'm in VG5.1 with a modem, set HandoffProgramFax to my program in the [VGsys] section. It doesn't indicate a fax detect ever. If I could get it to at least try the handoff I could see if my fax program can handle it. (FaxTalk with the Creative modems)

2) Again, can't detect the fax - If I could I'd try blind transfering it to a different extension (hookflash, extension, hangup).

3) I haven't bought a line sharer, but from the looks of some (Viking Fax Detector) they continue to listen to keypad entries so (#1) someone can transfer to fax after the phone line is in use. Naturally, that wouldn't work well with a VG application. The manual suggests that turning off Autmatic Transfer would stop this behaviour, but my guess is it would make all fax transfers manual (pressing a button on the box).

So... has anyone used the line sharers with success?

Re:Handoff. There was mention of older versions of VG in other posts - is the HandoffProgramFax directive only good in pre-5 versions? Or is the VGsys section not the right one for using a normal Voice/Fax modem.

Win2000, Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5633, VG 5.1 Ent (1-line)

Thanks!

Dave Sergeant