VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Analogue Or Digital

Hi,

I’ve been testing the evaluation version of VoiceGuide with a voice modem and have been impressed with the results.

I am now in the situation where I think VoiceGuide can do what I want it to do but I am still unsure whether to go for analogue or ISDN lines.

I know from this forum that you tend to favour analogue systems with D/4PCI or similar cards and I am currently looking at something like a D/120JCT-LS for an analogue system or a D300 for an ISDN system.

Please could you advise me as to what would most simply provide the following features…

A call is answered by VoiceGuide immediately rather than on the first or second ring.

The caller ID and called number is presented (or the last part of it) for saving to a database. My analogue network provider said that the caller ID is sent although it will be tricky to provide the called number but this might be possible with Centrex.

The number of lines has to be expandable. I am starting off with 8.

It has to be possible to transfer calls to external numbers (ideally blind)

VoiceGuide needs to be able to call 1 external number and then give the option of connecting that call to another external number. VoiceGuide should stay on the line so everything can be recorded.

To accomplish the above, should I go for an analogue system, an ISDN system or can I connect a D/120JCT-LS to an ISDN line with some sort of converter or PBX?

Also, if I purchased an 8 line version of VoiceGuide and then need to upgrade it to e.g. a 160 line version. So I just pay the difference between the cost of the 2 packages?

A call is answered by VoiceGuide immediately rather than on the first or second ring.

Only a Digital line can do that. Analog lines need to hear a ring first and they will answer the call then.

The caller ID and called number is presented (or the last part of it) for saving to a database. My analogue network provider said that the caller ID is sent although it will be tricky to provide the called number but this might be possible with Centrex.

Digital IDSN lines will usually supply the called number information. If Centrex can provide this then great...

The number of lines has to be expandable. I am starting off with 8.

Extra cards of either type can be added to expand the number of lines in the system.

It has to be possible to transfer calls to external numbers (ideally blind)

This can be done on Centrex lines - but you will need to speak with your phone provider if this can be done on digital lines. You may need to use the "Dial and Conference" approach on digital lines - using a second line to place the outgoing call with VoiceGuide itself connecting the two calls together.

VoiceGuide needs to be able to call 1 external number and then give the option of connecting that call to another external number.

Can be done using the "Dial and Conference" method

VoiceGuide should stay on the line so everything can be recorded.

Right now two separate recording of the two sides of conversation can be made - at this stage VoiceGuide does not combine the two recorded sound files into one... This is being worked on but there is no release date for this yet.

To accomplish the above, should I go for an analogue system, an ISDN system or can I connect a D/120JCT-LS to an ISDN line with some sort of converter or PBX?

I would strongly recommend to use Analog if you are just starting off with IVR systems - IDSN is very difficult to set up. If you have a PBX it may be best to connect a D120 to a PBX, and then program the PBX to send called number info as Inband Signaling to the D120.

Also, if I purchased an 8 line version of VoiceGuide and then need to upgrade it to e.g. a 160 line version. So I just pay the difference between the cost of the 2 packages?

Upgrade to a different license can be made for a difference in price within the first month. Thereafter you can just purchase additional licenses to add lines to the system.

Thanks.

So basically you are saying that I should use analogue because it is much simpler to set up. Are you also saying that, if Centrex can send the called number, there will be no need for a pbx?

Is there any way that ISDN lines could be used with a pbx to connect to the D120 or can this only be done with an analogue line? Or would this prove to be over complicated?

So basically you are saying that I should use analogue because it is much simpler to set up.

Yes.

Are you also saying that, if Centrex can send the called number, there will be no need for a pbx?

Yes.

Is there any way that ISDN lines could be used with a pbx to connect to the D120 or can this only be done with an analogue line?

The PBX can accept calls on ISDN lines and route them to PBX's analog extensions attached to the D120. This is probably the best solution as you will have control over the content of the Inband Signaling information from PBX to the D120 - which usually will then allow you to select how the Dialed Number information is presented (PBX must of course be able to send Inband Signaling information).

OK...so you are saying that my best approach would be to use ISDN lines, through a pbx and then into a D120JCT-LS and this would be a better approach than using analogue lines and Centrex?

Would this mean that VoiceGuide could answer on the first ring or, because it is still an analogue connection, it would still not be possible?

OK...so you are saying that my best approach would be to use ISDN lines, through a pbx and then into a D120JCT-LS and this would be a better approach than using analogue lines and Centrex?

Yes.

Would this mean that VoiceGuide could answer on the first ring or, because it is still an analogue connection, it would still not be possible?

All analog connections need to hear a ring before answering. Using Inband Signaling to send information from PBX to VoiceGuide will delay the caller being connected to VoiceGuide by another second or so.

When you say that digital are complicated to setup what is different?

I am currently using a 12 port analogue card and will need to upgrade shortly to allow for 30 or so lines. I want to go digital this time for a number of reasons.

What do i need to know before going about this?

and what card can you reccommend (cheaper the better)

The only functionality I require is for the card to pickup the call immiediately (no rings) , play some messages, record a sample WAV file and hangup (apart from all the voiceguide functions)

Thanks,

Please consult the Dialogic manuals which describe the various digital protocols and their parameters.

You will then need to configure the Dialogic cards to correctly communicate with the switch providing the digital connections.

It is very difficult to debug digital installations via email, and if you get stuck setting up the lines it's probably best to find someone local in your area who has experience with Dialogic cards, or seek assistance from the supplier who provided the card.

For E1 lines the entry level card is the D/300PCI

This card accepts a single E1 and will give you 30 channels of voice rec/playback.