VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Wav Files Playing Slow Motion And Garbled

Hello,

We have just upgraded to VoiceGuide version 7. We built a new server with Windows 2003 with a Dialogic D/4PCI card. I've opened the script and corrected a few things ($rv in lowercase doesn't work in version 7 like it did in version 4-5) I had to replace them all with $RV.

Now I'm testing my script but I am having a few weird problems playing back some of the WAV files that we recorded for development purposes

I've isolated a Say Numbers module in a new script and selected one of our WAV files to play before speaking some digits (12345 for testing). Once the script gets to the module it plays my sound file ok, but then the spoken 123456 sounds VERY bad. The best way I can describe it is in slowmotion while being spoken through a tube. If I also set a Play After saying Number WAV this one also sounds like that.

Some of my files are 88kbps; 8 bit; mono 11khz PCM

Some are 128kbps; 16 bit; mono; 8khz PCM

They all have the same behaviour. These also all worked very well on VoiceGuide 4 and 5.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need any additional information, let me know

VoiceGuide v7 installs the system sound files in ULaw or ALaw format. You select which format to use at install time.

In Say Numbers module the module concatenates all the sound files together - including your sound files, and uses the format of the first sound file to set the playback format. So any of the concatenated sound files that are in different format then the first sound file will sound bad.

Your options are:

A. change your sound files to have the same format as the VG system sound files (which are in \system\voice subdirectory),

or

B. take the system sound files from VG v4/v5/v6 and copy them into VG v7 \system\voice subdirectory.

Obviously the easiest solution is to copy over the files from vg 4/5/6..

Are there any advantages to using the ULaw/ALaw over the codec/format used in v7 over the older version?

I'd rather take the best solution over the easiest

Copying over the sound files should give best results in this case. This way you can use existing files without converting any files over. Format conversion can add some noise to the file.

Is it possible that 2 files using the same Codec but that have a different bit rate and Audio Sample Rate also play very fast.

All the sound files that are played immediately one after another must have the same format. Different bit rates etc would result in some files being played faster/slower.