VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Voiceguide V7 & Sapi.cpl Interops Issues

Hi team,

I purchased and installed AT&T's TTS voices of Rosa and Crystal, and they seem to work fine for a couple of test while converting a short text lines into a wav file. However, I noticed that the SAPI.cpl is disabled. I discovered that the error occurs when I start VoiceGuide V7 in order to place outbound calls. The following are the steps I took to repro the bug consistently:

1. Start the IVR, by right clicking the IVR icon in the system tray.

2. go to the Control Panel -> Speech. When selecting the speech option from the control panel I get the following message:

---------------------------

Speech Properties

The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio device.

OK

3. After dismissing the above message, I am given the option to click on the Text To Speech tab. When I click on the Speech > TTS tab, I get the following error

Speech Properties

The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio device.

OK

Then the speech panel closes abruptly, leaving me without the ability to use the TTS engine since the Sapi functions are disabled thereafter.

4. Stop VG7 from running, by going to the system tray and right clicking the IVR icon, then select Stop, if I then follow the steps 2 & 3 (above), I am able to open the control panel -> Speech option (or Sapi.cpl) without any errors, I am also able to access the sapi functions I use in order to generate the sound file.

To clarify further, I am passing the path to the sound file to be played by Voiceguide V7 but I am not using the TTS function calls directly from VG V7. The bug mentioned above prevents me from creating the sound file for the outbound call. I need that when VG V7 service is Starts (is active) it does not interfere with the sapi.cpl or with the sapi functions.

My system is a Win XP Pro SP2 with Speech SDK 5.1 and AT&T Rosa and Crystal installed, I am able to repro the above error 100% of the time, I also have/use logmein in case you would like to remotely access my system.

Log files are attached for your review.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

-r

Log.zip

Small correction to the information provided above, the error dialog box associated with step #3 above is:

RUNDLL

An exception occurred while trying to run "H:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "H:\WINDOWS\system32\sapi.cpl",Speech"

OK

Here is a quick fix for this problem:

1. Stop VoiceGuide service.

2. Download attached file and unzip in VoiceGuide directory, overwriting existing ktTtsSapi.dll file.

3. In VG.INI file in section [sAPI] set:

TTSEngine=DISABLE

4. Start VoiceGuide service.

ktTtsSapi.zip

Fantastic! I have confirmed that the quick fix works, I am able to create the wav file using SAPI calls, while the VG7 service is running, the outbound call result sounded perfectly.

Thank you for your efforts!

-r