VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vg Send Out Text Message To Cell Users?

Just wonder if VG can send out 'text' message. This would be different than number pagers... and emails. We are looking to give our users a 3rd option.

thanks,

yanky

Most Telcos provide email-to-SMS gateways these days, so you can just send an email to that gateway and the SMS (Text) message will be sent to the cell phone.

Another alternative is to attach a mobile phone to the VoiceGuide system and connect it to the computer via a USB cable. Free programs exist out there that allow you to send SMS messages from the command line, and VoiceGuide would just run that command from a Run Program module.

This is probably a silly solution, but what if we just use email as the outbound? You can send text message to users by using their # and carrier... 8883331234@mycarrier.com....

Do you see any issues with using email to sms users?

Thanks,

yanky

Do you see any issues with using email to sms users?

No, no issues. This is how many SMSs get sent these days. As mentioned in previous post: Most Telcos provide email-to-SMS gateways these days, so you can just send an email to that gateway and the SMS (Text) message will be sent to the cell phone.

But if we email the message - you have to know the network first. This is not always so easy. I know of companies where I can do a reverse lookup and it will tell me the carier but this costs about $.10 per lookup, do you know of a better way?

Thanks.

There are also companies which will forward the email to the correct carrier. The best solution will depend on what services are available in your country.