VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vg7 Support For Ado.net

Hi, just a quick couple of questions (apologies if answered elsewhere).

1. I am wondering to what extent VG7 supports dot.Net and ADO.NET, specifically, does the DB-Query module now work with ADO.NET? ie: does it use the 'new' disconnected data-sets / dataAdaptors / dataReaders?

2. Does the system still use VBScript? - or put another way, is there any level of integration with 'managed-code' / CLR / .NET possible directly from VG without going thru 'interpreted' VBScript? (I am not talking about command-line .exe calls - although I'm assuming something similar is still availble with VG7/dot.net).

3. From the old 'COM' perspective, can VG be handled/managed by external code via .NET events (not thru COM interoperability)?

If you have available any detailed 'dot.net' specific support data, please send me a link to it.

I know I can download the Vg7 eval, but I don't a lot of time at the mo to work this out for myself, so I would appreciate the help requested above just to get ny bearings on the new VG7. Many thanks.

1. I am wondering to what extent VG7 supports dot.Net and ADO.NET, specifically, does the DB-Query module now work with ADO.NET? ie: does it use the 'new' disconnected data-sets / dataAdaptors / dataReaders?

Yes. v7 Database Query module uses ADO.NET. This means that internally v7 uses the ADO.NET dataAdaptors / dataReaders etc.

2. Does the system still use VBScript? - or put another way, is there any level of integration with 'managed-code' / CLR / .NET possible directly from VG without going thru 'interpreted' VBScript? (I am not talking about command-line .exe calls - although I'm assuming something similar is still available with VG7/dot.net).

You can still use VBScript in v7, and can run command line .exe etc. calls from the Run Program module. At this stage VoiceGuide does not support dynamic loading of .CLR/.NET code, but we are looking into whether this can be included. There are a few different approaches that can be taken to achieve this. If you have a specific requirement to use .NET code in VoiceGuide please contact sales@voiceguide.com

3. From the old 'COM' perspective, can VG be handled/managed by external code via .NET events (not thru COM interoperability)?

v7 supports a WCF interface (as well as a Remoting interface) that's pretty much the same as the COM interface. Do you want to use WCF or Remoting?

If you have available any detailed 'dot.net' specific support data, please send me a link to it.

Not at this stage. The WSDL for WCF can be obtained from VoiceGuide directly. Have a look in the vgEngine trace. The URL to use is listed in the trace log near the beginning of startup initialization.

Thanks for the prompt reply - appreciated. I have no specific requirements at this time. I am just considering the merits of uprading to v7 and whether it would provide some key advantages in the dot-net world. Seems to me that CLR integration would be a huge plus over VBS, as running COM via dotnet com-interop adds performance overhead (not a gig issue thou - I guess). DBQuery running true ADO.NET is probably a big advantage.