VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

E-mail Problem

I hope someone can help me, I am having some trouble getting the e-mail module to work, I have tried both MAPI nad SMTP.

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 (Professional edition)

I have attached the log files to show what happens when I try MAPI and SMTP.

Taking SMTP first, from the log file I get the following error message

001258.875 13 email send error. System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: authentication required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp

I have logged onto the wesbsite (www.btyahoo.com/smtp) and got authentication, I also ran test on Outlook that tested my connection etc and sent me an e-mail.

Any ideas?

When I tried MAPI, this failed as well. see log file.To run MAPI do you need to have an Exchange Server/will an older version of Outlook work without Exchange Server?

For my application I want to be able to send e-mails using distribution lists, can I do this using SMTP?

Thanks in advance

mapi.txt

smtp.txt

When using the SMTP setting did you specify the username and password to be used when authenticating?

For my application I want to be able to send e-mails using distribution lists, can I do this using SMTP?

No. With SMTP you need to specify all the email addresses.

What MAPI capable emailer are you using?

In answer to you r questions

When using the SMTP setting did you specify the username and password to be used when authenticating?

Yes I have specified my username and password (the same as I used when I did the conection test using Outlook, this test sends an e-mail via SMTP to my mailbox which works)

What MAPI capable emailer are you using?

Outlook 2003 (professional edition 2003), If I was to use Eudora would I get away with not having an exchange server?

The trace shows that the SMTP server you were trying to send the email through responded with:

authentication required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp

So it looks like the username or password was not specified properly in the Send Email module. Please check the username / password used in the Send Email module.

VoiceGuide v7 does not use MAPI to send the emails, only SMTP is supported in v7 at this stage.

The trace shows that the SMTP server you were trying to send the email through responded with:

authentication required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication). For advice visit www.btyahoo.com/smtp

So it looks like the username or password was not specified properly in the Send Email module. Please check the username / password used in the Send Email module.

VoiceGuide v7 does not use MAPI to send the emails, only SMTP is supported in v7 at this stage.

I have reset my password and it's working now, thank you.

Will MAPI be supported in forthcoming releases?

I have sent an e-mail to a number of e-mail addresses using ";" when the recepient recieves the e-mail you can see all the other receptionts, do you know of a way to suppress this.

Will MAPI be supported in forthcoming releases?

No. VG v7 runs as a service, so it's designed to run even when no user is logged into the system. And applications like Outlook and Eudora etc are not designed to run as a service, so they would not be available for use unless a user is logged in and the applications started.

I have sent an e-mail to a number of e-mail addresses using ";" when the recepient recieves the e-mail you can see all the other receptionts, do you know of a way to suppress this.

Place the Email addresses in the "BCC" field - BCC stands for "Blind Carbon Copy". Those addresses are not shown to email recipients. BCC is on the Misc Tab of the Send Email module.