VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Cannot Hear Vg Playing Wave Files

Using version 7, we re-recorded our wav files at a professional studio, and now there is no sound when played through VoiceGuide. I tried converting to a few different formats, but do not hear anything when played. Can you check these files. One is attached. - Thanks.

Greeting.wav

The file format (PCM 8.000 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono) should be fine.

When installing VoiceGuide you would have been asked to select whether uLaw or ALaw format files are used. Which did you select? You can tell by seeing what format sound files are installed in VG's \system\voice\ subdirectory.

The recording format should be the same for all files on the system, but you can use "PCM 8.000 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono" as long as no other format sound files are played in the same module. Sound file formats can be different in different modules.

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the play file problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Trace files are created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces (esp the ktTel trace) and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

The u-Law format was selected at installation.

All sound files are in the same format.

I have attached the log files. I called into the application and the Greeting sound file shows to be playing, but there is no sound. I hung up after several seconds, but the hang-up was not detected, until I sent a hang-up from the line-status monitor application.

VGlogfiles2.zip

Looks like this .WAV file has some extra information in the header which is confusing VoiceGuide WAV player. Which Sound Editor was used to create this .WAV file?

Easiest thing to do may be to convert this file to uLaw format. The conversion programs usually create .WAV headers which are close to the standard so you should then be able to play the sound files fine. Windows' Sound Recorder can be used to save the file in uLaw format. Opening the file in Windows' Sound Recorder and re-saving it in the PCM format may also fix the header.

We will look closer into what header this WAV has and should be able to supply a version which can handle this .WAV file in a few hours as swell.

We have made the required changes to ensure that the WAV files of the type supplied now play correctly. Have tested it with the supplied .WAV file and the WAV file was played OK.

The version now available for download from our WWW includes the support for playing those .WAV files. Please upgrade to the version now available from our WWW.

Thanks you. I downloaded the new version, installed it and the recordings now play. However, when system wav files that were provided by VoiceGuide play, (for example, saying the list of numbers the caller entered), it sounds terrible, very loud and lots of static. Do you have the system files in PCM 8.000 kHz 8.000 16 bit format that can be provided?

The sound files used in any play sequence where a number of different sound files are concatenated together must have the same encoding format. The format used to interpret the file contents is dictated by the first file played.

If you mix formats of the various sound files used in the same module then the files with a format different to the leading file's format will not be played properly.

Do you have the system files in PCM 8.000 kHz 8.000 16 bit format that can be provided?

No. The PCM 8kHz will not provide as good a quality as the 8kHz uLaw or ALaw formats, so we steer users towards standardizing on uLaw or ALaw formats.

You only really need to convert those files which when used are concatenated with VoiceGuide's system (uLaw format) files.

Just open the PCM file in Windows' Sound Recorder and re-save it in the uLaw format.

You can also use SOX to batch convert to uLaw, or just ask the sound file supplier to supply them in uLaw format. Another batch converter can be found here: http://www.xrlly.com/audio-converter.htm