VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Voiceguide Hangs W/ Voicemodem

Support Team,

Using trial Voiceguide 5.2.5049 with external Aopen modem running XP. Very simple single analog phone line application that looks up an account balance in an Access DB and reads back to caller. Problem is that Voiceguide will randomly hang while the modem stays locked on hook. In the attached log file the problem starts at line 90210.718 when it's trying to play a .wav file. This line looks like the actual problem: 090210.781 fn TAPI_ERR:LINEERR_INVALMEDIAMODE. Can you tell me if there is a way to fix this? Or do I just need to switch to a Dialogic card? If I must buy a Dialogic card then I'll probably get a D/4 PCI from ebay - do I need to ensure that the drivers are included or can these be obtained via online download?

Thanks for your help.

1215tw.txt

The INVALMEDIAMODE error indicates that the modem does not support the 'Voice' features. ie. Is not a 'Voice' modem.

We'd recommend you just get a Dialogic card.

You should ensure that the drivers CD is supplied with the card.

The drivers can be downloaded from the Dialogic WWW. eg. If you follow the link on our Recommend Hardware page and then clink on the "SR 6.0 PCI for Windows Service Update 171" link on the Dialogic www then you will be able to download the latest drivers, and they will work, but you should read the licensing terms.

Before I go the Dialogic route: The modem is an AOpen FM56-EXV external modem. From everything I've read (including the installation manual) this modem is a voice modem. Also, 90% of the time the application works fine but when it hangs, as described before, the modem stays on hook and can no longer accept calls. I just re-installed the modem driver and it seems to be working for now. Is this most likely a faulty driver or what?

When the modem's driver responds with a "NVALMEDIAMODE error" then this indicates that the modem driver indicates that it will not open the modem line in "Voice" mode.

You'd need to speak with the modem manufacturer to enquire why the modem/driver is responding with this error.

Just getting a Dialogic card is easier...

Ok, last question, if I buy VG for modems then decide I need VG for Dialogic instead, will I have to pay the full price to switch?

The same code works for v5 and v6, so there is no charge for moving from v5 to v6.

If moving from v5 to v7 at a later time then an extra charge will apply. The upgrade costs are detailed on the WWW order page. Please see: https://secure.voiceguide.com/order_vg.htm

We'd recommend using v7 with Dialogic cards instead of v6. v6 is older then v7, and v6 will soon cease to be sold.