VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Voiceguide 7 Popping Noice After Playing Wav File

I've recently upgraded from VoiceGuide 6 to VoiceGuide 7. An issue has showed up in version 7 that was not present in version 6 in regards to wav file playback. Namely, after a .wav file is played, there is an anoying 'pop' sound audible on the call. It is especially annoying when numbers are being read back to the caller, like 'You have entered' *pop* '1' *pop* '2' *pop* '3' *pop* '4' *pop*.

I am using an analog Dialogic card, but the only reason I'm not 100% convinced that it is a Dialogic issue/tweking requirement is becuase this problem was not at all present in VG6 (while running on same OS and hardware).

My setup is as follows:

Windows Server 2003 (32bit)

VoiceGuide 7.0.3

Dialogic 4-port Analog Card (D/41JCT, PCI)

Dialogic System Release 5.1.1 Service Pack 1, Feature Pack 1, Service Update 149 (latest and greatest)

Is this present on your system when playing back numbers using the default sound files supplied with VoiceGuide, or did you replace the numbers sound files with your own?

Which format is being played A-Law, or u-Law or some other?

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Trace files are created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

The "ktTel" trace will be needed.

Please post the traces and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

Is this present on your system when playing back numbers using the default sound files supplied with VoiceGuide, or did you replace the numbers sound files with your own?

Which format is being played A-Law, or u-Law or some other?

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Trace files are created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

The "ktTel" trace will be needed.

Please post the traces and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

Thanks for the response.

I looked further into the issue and my .wav files were PCM encoded. I re-encoded them to U-Law and there is no longer a 'popping' noise. It still might be worth noting that the same PCM .wav files did not exhibit this problem in VoiceGuide 6.

OK, thanks for letting us know.

We'll run some tests with .PCM files here to see if we can reproduce the issue and will try to get this fixed.

Could you please post the PCM encoded .WAV files with which you were experiencing problems?

We have tried with a few different PCM .WAV sound files and could not find any issues with the 'popping' sounds either at start or end of file.

Sure, here are a few.

There was also another weird thing that happens aside from the popping. If I have a 'number' read-back module with one of my PCM wavs set as the file to play prior to speaking the numbers, the PCM plays, but when the numbers are read back, the sound is all garbled (kind of a screeching noise, where the numbers spoken back are not discernable at all). However, when the number read back module does not have have a file specified to play prior to read back, there is no problem. The built-in prompts have not been changed and are the default u-law ones installed by VoiceGuide 7. It's almost as if VoiceGuide is taking the encoding from the 'before read-back wav' (PCM) and assuming the wav files following (digits to be read back) are also PCM when in fact they are not.

PCM_Wavs.zip

Thanks for posting the sound files. We have found the bug that was causing popping when 16 bit PCM WAV files were played and this issue has now been fixed. Releases from next week onwards should have this bug fix in them.

If I have a 'number' read-back module with one of my PCM wavs set as the file to play prior to speaking the numbers, the PCM plays, but when the numbers are read back, the sound is all garbled.

All sound files played by one module must be in the same format. If the formats are mixed then you will see problems like you describe here.

It's almost as if VoiceGuide is taking the encoding from the 'before read-back wav' (PCM) and assuming the wav files following (digits to be read back) are also PCM

Yes. This is exactly what VoiceGuide assumes.

At this stage when the sound files are concatenated together to be played all sound files must be in the same format.

Files in different modules can have different formats, but when they are concatenated in one module then they must be the same.