VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Voiceguide 7 Rvget Does Not Work

I just upgraded to VoiceGuide 7.0.3 from VoiceGuide 6.

I am trying to run a script that previously worked flawlessly in version 6 but now craps out in version 7. The problem is related to the RvGet call from a VB script running inside a module.

My call to:

theResult = vg.RvGet($RV_LINEID, "RV[db-result_1_1]")

will actually return the literal string "RV[db-result_1_1]" into the variable 'theResult', instead of returning the actual value of RV[db-result_1_1]. There is nothing unusual about the data held in RV[db-result_1_1]. I've also found that trying to fetch any valid RV[] variable from RvGet does not work. RvGet is always returning the string entered in the second parameter (the RV variable name) and not the value of the variable. Obviously the code above is paraphrased, but rest assured, the VG trace shows the variable of interest as being defined and having the value as expected, RvGet is just unable to return that value.

You may say that perhaps I should not be using RvGet and instead just throw the variable in code like:

theResult = $RV[db-result_1_1]

Unfortunately I cannot do this since the script in question is essentially looping through records fetched from the database and 'reading' them back to the caller. So, in reality, my code resembles this:

theResult = vg.RvGet($RV_LINEID, "RV[db-result_1_" & rowIndex & "]")

where rowIndex is incremented through each iteration of the 'loop'.

Please let me know what's going on here. I'm getting desparate and will have to revert back to running VG6...

Note: In all my VBS I have changed

set vg = CreateObject("VoiceGuide.CommandLink")

to

set vg = CreateObject("vgServices.CommandLink")

The problem occurs with either creation method.

RvGet seems to work fine on our test systems.

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Trace files are created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

RvGet seems to work fine on our test systems.

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Trace files are created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

I've noticed something else that might be causing the problem. When I install VoiceGuide 7 on my Windows Server 2003 (32bit), the "Vocie Guide IVR" service does not automatically get installed. I previously worked around this by simply executing the .NET 2.0 "installutil.exe" on the vgIvrServices.exe file in the installation directory. I tried a re-install today (service still did not self-install) but this time I peeked at the installLog.txt file placed in the VoiceGuide install directory. I found the following interesting entries near the end of the log:

Execute: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe "C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide7\vgIvrService.exe"

Execute: net start "Intel® Dialogic® product System Service"

Execute: net start "Dialogic System Service"

Execute: net start "VoiceGuide IVR"

Execute: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe "C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide7\vgServices.dll" /codebase

What's interesting about this is that the .NET installutil.exe and regasm.exe are not located in C:\Documents and Settings..., rather in C:\Window\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727, which I know to be the proper location as I've been a .NET developer for some time. I've attached the full install log.

Anyway, I've also attached the trace log of where my problem occurs along with VGS. The only changes I've made is to XXXXXXX out my database password. The module of interest is called 'unpack-list-auth-sale-data.' (However, any other module with calls to RvGet is having the same problem...). I've done an Admin_TraceLogAdd statement to show exactly what I'm talking about. In the trace, if you search for my trace output starting with 'Buyer Number Value Is' you'll see that it is simply outputting the value returned from an RvGet call on variable 'RV[db-list-auths-sale_1_1]', which if you look in the RV output trace above, the a value clearly exists and has a value of '11002'. However, the script returns the literal string 'RV[db-list-auths-sale_1_1]'.

As you can see we've invested some time writing this VG script and literally have our credit card ready to purchase a multi-line license for VG7, if only we can be assured that it is not completely bug-ridden...

Thanks.

vg7data.zip

Thank you for supplying the trace.

We have been able to confirm that there was a problem with RvGet.

This problem has now been fixed and the latest version of VoiceGuide v7 available from our WWW has this problem fixed.

Please download from our WWW and update to latest version.

Not sure why you are the problem with vgIvrService.exe and vgServices.dll is happening on your system.

It registers fine on the Win2003 test system in our lab and we have not had other reports of this issue.

We checked in the install program and the install program is trying to run:

$WINDIR\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe

and for regasm.exe call the Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ is similarly hardcoded in the install program.

I suppose the only way that the install program (nullinstall) could end up trying to run installutil.exe and regasm.exe from a different directory is if it could not find it in the searched directory.

Does installutil.exe and regasm.exe exits in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 on your system, or in another directory?

Are you installing the software while logged in as Administrator?

Below is the relevant trace excerpt from the installlog.txt file from one of our Win2003 test machines:

Execute: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installutil.exe "C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\vgIvrService.exe"

Execute: net start "Intel® Dialogic® product System Service"

Execute: net start "Dialogic System Service"

Execute: net start "VoiceGuide IVR"

Execute: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe "C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\vgServices.dll" /codebase

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a shot.

As for the IVR Service installation issue, I have verified that InstallUtil.exe and Regasm.exe do exist in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. And yes I have been installing as 'Administrator'

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a shot.

As for the IVR Service installation issue, I have verified that InstallUtil.exe and Regasm.exe do exist in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. And yes I have been installing as 'Administrator'

I just installed the new build of VG7 and RvGet now works properly. Thanks for the fix.

Since we are on the topic of v6->v7 upgrade problems, there is another issue in v7 not present in v6. Namely, after a .wav file is played, there is an anoying 'pop' sound audible on the call. It is especially annoying when numbers are being read back to the caller, like 'You have entered' *pop* '1' *pop* '2' *pop* '3' *pop* '4' *pop*.

I'll start a new thead on this topic.