VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vgemailsender Fails

Having a problem with sending emails at times and have noticed some problems with the email attachment option causing the emails to fail. If an attachment is specified and the file does not exist the email will not be sent. Also if multiple attachments are sent and for example you have (attach1.doc,) the comma will cause it to fail also. I have a need to specify up to 7 different files paths and i'm manually putting the path(c:\folder\$RV[file1], c:\folder\$RV[file2]) etc.. Variables for files 1-7 may or may not contain a value. I need it to send an email regardless of failing to locate the attachment. Thanks.

Which version of VoiceGuide are you using?

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Enable logging by setting the log levels to 10 in VG.INI as per below:

[Log]

VoiceGuide=10

EmailSender=10

Then restart VG and make a test call which demonstrates the problem.

Trace files will be created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces and the VoiceGuide script used.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

OK the problem is shown in the attached trace file here as the Errors. You'll notice the first attachment is found and has a full path and filename, attachment 2 is not found because the path is missing the filename and it does not send. Example2 file shows my first file found, second file not found but I just had a comma at the end of the first filename.

Again what I'm trying to do is attach multiple files to an email, potentially up to 7 files. So for the attachment I'm putting a db queried variable with the filename seperated by commas and/or ;. So if my email has 7 filename variables for attachments ($RV[file1], $RV[file2], $RV[file3]) and the variable for file3 has no path the email fails to send.

Thanks..

ExampleFailedEmail.zip

ExampleEmailFails2.zip

Could you please update to the latest version (currently 6.0.3356) and see if you still experience the problem with that version.

You will need to uninstall current version (save the Config.xml file and userinfo.ini file) and any scripts saved under VoiceGuide's directory) and then install the newest version and restore the backed up files.

Same thing. This is a valid path-filename followed by just a comma. See attached log.

"121302.86 0 ERROR 6.0.2 could not attach files [E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\PhoneAHome\images\listing_photos\thumb_4_12_eagle001.jpg;] => [9,Subscript out of range,vbSendMail,0]"

ExampleEmailFails3.zip

FYI This last test was done with the latest release and I've tried with a , and ; as the seperator between files with the same results. Any word on this? Thanks.

We will look into this and should be able to have a response (and hopefully a fix) for you on Monday.

So just to confirm the problems I know of are the following:

1. Multiple Email Attachments- Emails fail to send if the attachment is not found. Emails fail to send if the address is followed by a , or a ; . Have also seen Runtime error 52 when using the ; as the divider with no other filename following it. With these problems it's tough to use variables as filenames for multiple attachments.

2. Multiple Recipients- Fails with too many (or too long) email addresses. Not sure if I have too many characters or too many recipients but one of these problems causes it not to send.

This new version fixes the problems encountered when specified attachments do not exist or are blank.

Similar for blank email addresses.

To update to this version simply Unzip the attached file and copy the extracted .exe into VoiceGuide's main directory (usually C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide) overwriting existing file there. Then restart VG and make the test.

Fails with too many (or too long) email addresses.

Could you please post a trace capturing this case. There may be a limit on the number of recipients specified in the To/CC/Bcc fields. What is the max number of recipients you will be specifying in each of these fields?

VgEmailSender_6.0.4.zip

Fails with too many (or too long) email addresses.

The number of recipients is limited to 100 in the previous versions. The attached version has that limit raised to 10,000.

To update to this version simply Unzip the attached file and copy the extracted .exe into VoiceGuide's main directory (usually C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide) overwriting existing file there. Then restart VG and make the test.

VgEmailSender_6.0.6.zip

Looks like the size of some of the email fields is set to 255 chars. This seems sufficient for most users, but as you are sending a larger number of attachments with the emails and to a larger number of recipients then the 255 char limit is being reached.

We will create a version which uses 'Memo' fields it the database which stores the queued outgoing emails, this should give you a virtually unlimited storage length for each of the various fields. Will post the "Memo" version here when it is available.

Please unzip and place attached .exe's in VoiceGuide's main directory (overwriting the existing files there). This version will allow you to specify address/attachment/etc fields of up to 30,000 chars long.

vg_6.0.3361.zip

Thanks again guys for the quick response. I still have had no problems with this and have tested it very thoroughly.

I've had a couple of problems where the vgemailsender.exe is not shutting down and appears to be hung. This happens very rarely but when it does no emails will be sent. You can see via Task Manager a copy of it is hung but periodically another copy of it runs then disappears but no emails sent. If I End Task on the hung copy of it the "stuck" emails are then sent. I haven't got a trace log showing this yet. I've enabled trace now and am waiting for it to happen again. Anyway I sent about 8 emails one after another, nothing is different at all in the emails that are sent ever. I've got Norton Anti-Virus installed and have excluded the programfiles/voiceguide folder from being scanned real-time and made sure it's removed from my weekly full scan to make sure no sharing violations are causing it. I've ruled out everything I can think of, appears to be a problem with vgemailsender.exe..?

I've enabled trace now and am waiting for it to happen again.

Please enable logging by setting the log levels to 10 in VG.INI as per below:

[Log]

VoiceGuide=10

SapiWrapOcx=10

Then restart VG.

Trace files will be created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

Logs attached. VGEmailsender.exe was frozen. Once I End Process on it then another instance is instantly ran and then sends any existing emails.

Log.zip

The trace shows that each time VGEmailsender.exe was ran it exited fine. At which time did you need to close the VGEmailsender.exe?

Could you try removing the Norton Anti-Virus from system altogether?

Is there anything else running on this system apart form VoiceGuide and Norton Anti-Virus?

Yes I can try this but I've had it happen with the services disabled so it shouldn't have touched the .exe running in memory.. I've made sure nothing else is running. I also noticed nothing in the log showing it frozen. But when this does happen I do see another copy of it that runs really quick then stops over and over. Attached another log. Problem is I don't know exactly when timewise this has happened.

VGEmailSenderStuck.zip

At what time did the problem occur?

We can then look in the log file and see what the log file is showing at that time.

Looking through the logs provided in VGEmailSenderStuck.zip we can see that the problem seems to occur at 12:51:09, when the vgEmail sender was trying to make a connection to the SMTP server:

125109.51 0 smtp Status Connecting to SMTP Server (localhost)...

and looks like that connection was not completed.

It's strange that VGEmailSenderStuck did not exit after a while and did not report an error - it is designed to timeout when the SMTP connection is not made within about 60 seconds.

What is the SMTP server which you have running on locahost?

Can you try just sending emails through the other SMTP server you are using: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and see if you continue having problems.

Also please try using the attached VgEmailSender - it has some changes made in the way STMP connections are made and it may work better for you.

Another approach may be to try using v7 of VoiceGuide. Emails in v7 are sent using a different way, so you may get better results with v7.

We can see in trace that the script is sending out 12 emails simultaneously to what seem like being the various email-to-MMS gateways, can you try just sending out one email with the various recipients being listed as "BCC"? or does each email need to be a bit different?

VgEmailSender.zip

I'm using MailEnable for email server. So far no problems with the attached new build. What exactly was changed in this build? Also I'll try everything you mention here..

The new build of VgEmailSender.exe opens the connection to the SMTP server in a different way...

Please let us know if you do encounter any further issues.

The Email sending mechanism used in VoiceGuide v7 is more robust and efficient. It does not involve using an external .exe (VgEmailSender) and an intermediate database.