VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Convert Dtmf Pages To Text Message On Cell

This is a pre-sale question.

I need to receive messages formatted for dtmf pagers from legacy vmail, intrusion alarm systems and remote monitoring equipment.

Specifically, the application requires anwsering an incoming call on an analog line, listening for dtmf digits from the calling device, converting the dtmf digits to an outgoing text message using a user defined table and then sending to a cell phone (presumably by email) using the email address from the same table.

Can I do this with VG? If yes, which version would be required? What would be the least expensive Dialogic card that would work?

Thanks,

-lt

Yes, you can use a Get Numbers module to receive the digits and then use an Evaluate Expression module or a Run VBScript module to do the table lookup and conversion.

The entry level card is the 4 port D/4PCIUF.

The entry level card is the 4 port D/4PCIUF.

The D/41E appears to be commonly available on ebay for under $20. Would it be satisfactory?

Is there an advantage to using the D/4PCIUP, which appears to be much more expensive?

Will any version of VG provide this function?

Thanks,

-lt

The D/41E should be fine - but it's a very old card. (probably ISA and not PCI ?)

What you want can be done with the Professional version, but the Enterprise version has a few more features which would let you do less scripting work.

I like the price of the Personal version. Since you did not mention it, does it lack features that would be required?

The Personal version does have the Evaluate Expr. module, so you may be able to create your script using that version.

Use the Evaluation version first to see how you can do the script that you want.

I think you’ll find it’s a lot quicker to do this script using Run VBScript modules - for which you will need the Professional version.

Lester: The D/41E is an old ISA card and most current PCs won't let you plug it in, plus the card is not supported by the current Dialogics v6+ drivers (no ISA support). Now you know why its $20 (!!)

The Personal version does have the Evaluate Expr. module, so you may be able to create your script using that version.

Use the Evaluation version first to see how you can do the script that you want.

I think you’ll find it’s a lot quicker to do this script using Run VBScript modules - for which you will need the Professional version.

Thanks. I will rough it out in the Eval version and see how much trouble it is to do it the "hard" way.

Lester: The D/41E is an old ISA card and most current PCs won't let you plug it in, plus the card is not supported by the current Dialogics v6+ drivers (no ISA support). Now you know why its $20 (!!)

Thanks for the tutorial. I realized after I posted the question that my host machine is PCI only. I need a low-budget solution for a 1 or 2 port analog line system. Based on other posts, I suspect a modem would not be a reliable solution.

Do you know which of the vintage Dialogic PCI boards commonly available on ebay would be a good choice?

Lester: you have 3 basic choices:

1) Basic Dialogic D4PCI basic/original PCI (or D4PCIUF, 'universal-PCI'), 4 line analog doesn't support 'line bridging' - if you need line bridging (connecting 2 lines together you need D41JCT type card and twice the budget. Can use VG for Dialogic (v6 product line/v6 dialogic drivers) or VG4TAPI (can only use v5 VoiceGuide and v5 dialogic drivers).

2) BRI line (2 channel) ISDN card, eg: ones listed on VoiceGuide recommended hardware page. Some of these cards are very cheap, ($10+ (yes-really)) but note: a) you need ISDN line, B) only use Vg4Tapi, c) you may need extra tapi/tsp driver, eg: ComISDN (extra $70) d) not much voiceguide support experience, e) only blind-transfer call transfer option, f) steeper learning curve BUT: you get better call handling (no tone detection problems) better voice quality, better/quicker dialling/hangup processing, access to DNIS and no unused lines (if you only want 2 lines). You can easily expand lines/channels but you will need more expensive cards.

3) Go down for a (still somewhat immature) VoIP solution and avoid the hardware altogether. For handling 2-4 channels a software (HMP) based solution could be a viable option. Over say 4 channels, then you start to need high-bandwidth ADSL/Cable DSL or SDSL and the costs starts to really mount.

In my opinion, ISDN is a good choice and easier to use and more reliable than a more expensive analog solution for low channel counts, if you are prepared to change over to ISDN line type before it goes obsolete! Or, go Dialogic for an easier but more costly solution.

Just to clarify: 'VoiceGuide for Dialogic' can be used on systems using Dialogic SR5.x drivers as well, not just Dialogic SR6.x drivers (although SR6 is recommended)

What about the D/41EPCI?