VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vg -database Acess Problem

When callers call into our appointment updating system, the application works fine for several days and then it partially stops working. By partially, I mean that VG still answers the phone line and the script starts running. It appears that the problem is that VG can no longer speak to the ACCESS Database when it reaches a module that uses information collected in the previous steps of the script. So it collects the info but fails when do a database query. If we stop VG and restart, it works for a short time longer but to fix, we must restart the entire system and then start VG again.

Version is: 6.0.3201 Enterprise, VG Dialer, 4 line license

The database connection string is: ;Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Mode=Share Deny None

Here are the details about my system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name OFFICE

System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation

System Model OptiPlex GX270

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A04, 5/17/2004

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

User Name OFFICE\David Denara

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 494.27 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.48 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Attached, please find the dialogic zip file. I have enabled logging and I will send when the problem occurs again.

In the meantime, I would like to know if the database driver -- Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 -- could be related? Or, if the latest version will fix. If the latest version will fix, how do I peform the update, using my existing registration code?

Please let me know if you need any more details to help you solve this problem.

David

its_sysinfo.zip

In your script are you just specifying the Access database filename and leaving the connect string blank? (which is how it should be done if using MSAccess).

Sounds like the problem is in the Database itself if you need to restart the system and not just VG to get it working again properly.

Is the database just a simple one table database or is it more complex then that?

If it's just a simple database the I'd try modifying the script it just append data to a text file for now and then have this imported this into the database separately

If it's a more complex database with triggers/links/etc. then I'd recommend using another DB. Access is only really suitable for simple databases...

The Access Database was not my choice. This is a turnkey application that runs our business and it has proven to be very reliable and lots of time saving over 2 years.

Unfortunately, the name of the database is

C:\Documents and Settings\David Denara\My Documents\Petrax Database\Pet and Home Sitters, LLC..ptxdb

The .ptxdb extension is a proprietary extension for this application. It is infact a datatbase that will open with with Microsoft ACCESS. The .ptxdb extension is assigned to an applicaiton called Petrax (the maker of this database). They allow ACCESS connectivity for people like me who are extending their solutions. That's why we are using the connection string.

The database is still running while this problem occurs; however, VG's Query doesn't seem to work any longer.

Thanks for the quick response. Please let me know what more I can do to help. I have attached the log files in zip format for tonight after I increase logging levels to 10. I called into the system and it worked as expected. When it fails, I will send an updated log file.

Log.zip

Has VoiceGuide been using this database over two years or some other database?

Recommend you separate the two for now and have VG save data to file (or a proper MSAccess DB) and run some separate program to migrate the data over to this Petrax DB.

My application is querying data that's in this database from various tables so it's not possible to separate.

The application has been running for two months - not two years. It has had this problem since the second week. I have tested the queries that are running and they run very quickly. Again, some how the database connectivy or record result set is getting corrupted. A system restart is only necessary to get the VG application able to talk with the database because otherwise the database application is running just fine.

By the way, we love your tools and the system so I am very hopeful we can figure out the cause of this problem.

See if you can get an ODBC driver for this database and then try connecting to it via ODBC instead.

We started with an ODBC driver and it was about 10 times slower. Are there any debugging steps you can recommend. Is there something wrong with the driver we are using?

We are also using this same driver from a VBS script and when this problem occurs the VBS script keeps running and accessing the database while the VG script does not continue to run.

We started with an ODBC driver and it was about 10 times slower. Are there any debugging steps you can recommend. Is there something wrong with the driver we are using?
Ask your database supplier (Petrax) why using the ODBC driver is resulting in 10 times slower operation... Maybe they have a newer driver is available (?).

We are also using this same driver from a VBS script and when this problem occurs the VBS script keeps running and accessing the database while the VG script does not continue to run.
The VBScript does work in slightly different way. The connection object ix created fro scratch every time you run the script. Maybe that's the trick with this Petrax database... Looks like you should use VBScript approach for your DB interactions.

I have the latest version of the application and I am using the driver they recommended.

Regarding your second suggestion of using the VBscript approach, are you suggestion that I don't use the Database Query object in my VGS script and that I use the VBScript Module?

Also, is there a way to open and close the database connection as VBS script is doing? It seems that you are saying the IVR script opens this connection only once? Or does it do it everytime? I was under the impression that the Database Query module made a new connection each time.

If you are seeing Database interactions working better when launched from the VBScript module then from the DBQuery module then you should use the VBScript module to do the querying.

Ultimately we'd recommend using a more mainstream database, but if you must use Petrax then just identify what approach works best on this system and use that.

I will send you the logs when the error occurs again. Perhaps that will tell us what is causing this as I believe it is related to an interaction with the VGS application.

How do I get and install the new version? Do I download from the web site as an evaluation copy and then install over the existing solution? Or, do existing users get the new version from a different location. I want to make sure that there is a way to roll back as well.

To upgrade to new version you need to uninstall current version and then install new version. Make sure to backup your scripts and any config files first.