VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Setting Up Caller Id

Hello,

This is probably a rather elementary question, but I am trying to set up our VG to e-mail Caller ID phone numbers when it e-mails the voicemails to employees. I have entered the variables correctly. Our voicemail e-mails currently show the times and dates of the calls but are unable to display phone numbers or names (these appear as a blank space).

Our caller ID is through Vonage and gets caller information after the first ring. VG doens't pick up until after the 2nd, so we should be able to get this information somehow. What do I need to do for VG to automatically retrieve this information?

If I need to show you our logs, please give me some instructions as I'm not entirely sure how to do that (sorry, I'm new to VG).

Thanks for your help!

Our caller ID is through Vonage and gets caller information after the first ring. VG doens't pick up until after the 2nd, so we should be able to get this information somehow. What do I need to do for VG to automatically retrieve this information?
There is nothing that needs to be set up. If the Dialogic card is receiving the CallerID on the line then it will be available in the script.

Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Trace Logs which captures an incoming call, this will allow us to see what is happening.

Enable logging by setting the log levels to 10 in VG.INI as per below:

[Log]

VoiceGuide=10

ktTel=10

Then restart VG and make a test call.

Trace files will be created in VG's \log\ subdirectory.

Please post the traces.

When posting traces/scripts please .ZIP them up and post them as attachments.

Thanks so much for your help! I don't think VG is getting ahold of the Caller ID names and numbers for some reason. Please find log attached.

0208vgm.txt

Trace shows the Dialogic card is not detecting that any CallerID is sent. This is most likely as none is sent... Have you confirmed that CallerID is sent by attaching an external CallerID device to the same line on which the call is arriving on?

As you are using a Dialogic card you should be using "VoiceGuide for Dialogic", not the TAPI version which you are using now.

Thanks for the quick reply. Bear with me here; I'm a total newbie who got thrust into dealing with this VG stuff...

Yes, we do have an external Caller ID device attached to the line. As stated before, the caller id retrieves caller information after the first ring. Then VG picks up after the second ring, and for some reason it's not getting that information.

So what exactly is the difference between Voicegiude for Dialogic and the TAPI I'm using now? If caller ID and call transfers will still work with what I'm using now, I'd rather not go to all the hassle of setting up a whole new system when what we have has been working fine. I'm not even sure where to get VoiceGuide for Dialogic, to tell you the truth...

Thanks again for all your help.

VoiceGuide for Dialogic is better at call transfers then the TAPI version. It also provides better reporting of any CallerID related information.

You can download it from our WWW.

Is it fairly easy to transfer the script from our current TAPI to VoiceGiude for Dialogic if I make the switch? Our script is pretty complex, and I'd hate to have to redo everything just to get Caller ID info. I assume if I save the script, recorded sounds, etc somewhere other than the current (TAPI) VG folder then I will be able to apply them to the VG for Dialogic? Or is there a way to help the TAPI get the Caller ID info somehow so I don't have to deal with transferring the script?

Thanks for your help; sorry to keep bothering you.

The script should work in new version without any modifications.

The sound files used will need to be changed from 11kHz to 8kHz.

Do you have original recordings in 22kHz or 44kHz format? You should use those when converting to 8kHz.

Do you know in what format the Vonage device encodes the CallerID information?

I can't remember what format we originally recorded in, but we do still have the original recordings and can convert them easily.

Vonage is our telephone service provider, and unfortunately they refuse to tell me the format they encode Caller ID info in (something about security concerns). So... should I go ahead and switch to VG for Dialogic and just hope that it can pick up the Caller ID information better than our current TAPI? Or is it more likely that this won't make much of a difference? I'm not sure what to do now since I'm unable to get the Caller ID format info.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Vonage provide the VoIP<->Analog converter.

You should ask them in what format the Analog side of the converter sends the CallerID info in to the analog phone/equipment.

The CallerID encrypting on the VoIP side is not what you are asking about here - just the encoding used by the Analog converter - should be one of the 3 or 4 common formats (DTMF, FSK, Bell, etc).

They may have various models of the VoIP<->Analog converter available, ones that pass CallerID and ones that do not, so confirm with Vonage that the adapter/converter which they supplied to you does send the CallerID to the analog device.

Definitely go ahead with "VoiceGuide for Dialogic" change. You should be using VoiceGuide for Dialogic if you are using a Dialogic card.

Thanks for the helpful reply; I have asked Vonage about this and should be able to get the Caller ID working soon.

One last (hopefully) question for you: Should our sound files for the VG for Dialogic be 8-bit or 16-bit?

I really appreciate the timely and informed responses I have been getting; you've been more than helpful.

Should our sound files for the VG for Dialogic be 8-bit or 16-bit?
Either is OK. 8 bit is sufficent. In 16 bit files the last 8 bits are just ignored.

I really appreciate the timely and informed responses I have been getting; you've been more than helpful.

OK, sorry to bother you again, but apparently our script was not easily transferrable at all. Please find error log attached. The default pre-made script (I think it's the credit card one) plays correctly, but ours does not. The sound files have all been changed to 8kHz, and I have double-checked them all to be sure.

What do I need to do to get this working correctly?

0219tw.txt

Now I am having trouble uninstalling. Every time I try to uninstall, things are left on the computer. Even deleting the VoiceGuide folder from my Program Files (which is ALWAYS still there after uninstall) and deleting desktop icons (also always still there) does not seem to help. Can you please tell me what I need to do to completely uninstall VoiceGuide?? We are currently without a telephone answering service/voicemail system and need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

What things are left on the computer that prevent you from running the VoiceGuide for Dialogic install?

Just run the uninstall program for v5.x of VG and then run the VoiceGuide for Dialogic install.

As I said, the VoiceGuide folder in my Program Files and the desktop icons are still there. I ran the uninstaller for 5.x of VG, and these things were still left on my computer. I deleted them all, then ran the installer for VG for Dialogic.

Now the script won't transfer correctly; the default (included with the download) script works fine, but I get an error message when I try to implement our script that reads "VgMulti.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I have already posted this error log, but no one has responded to my question about this problem (see above). Restarting the program does not help, and Windows does not actually close VG.

I was told the script would transfer with no problems?? We did convert the sound files to 8kHz and this was the only change I was told to make. So, can someone please look at my error log and tell me what I need to do to make VG for Dialogic use our script correctly? Thank you!

Quick Update:

The error I get when trying to use our script occurs after I select to Set and Run Current Script. I saw an older forum post that someone else had this problem and was told that the newest VG for Dialogic does not have the Set and Run option. Perhaps mine does because our old VoiceGuide did not uninstall completely/correctly?? I just downloaded form your site yesterday, so I should have the current version.

Any ideas on how to make sure EVERYTHING related to VG gets uninstalled correctly? After uninstalling/reinstalling numerous times, I uninstalled everything again and restarted my computer. I got this message upon the restart: "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'VoiceGuide.lnk' refers to us unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that the network resource is available, and then try again." Also see my previous post to see the other things which remain on the computer after an uninstall.

Thank you!

The error I get when trying to use our script occurs after I select to Set and Run Current Script. I saw an older forum post that someone else had this problem and was told that the newest VG for Dialogic does not have the Set and Run option.
Correct. In VoiceGuide for Dialogic the script filename needs to be specified in the Config.xml file.

VoiceGuide install does not create any desktop icons - so it will not delete them either. Any desktop icons would have been manually created by a computer user, and will need to be managed/deleted manually as well...

Could you please set the Config.xml to answer the call after 2 or more rings and post the "tw" trace capturing an incoming call. We can then have a look at what CallerID information elements were detected by the Dialogic card.

Did you get any answer from Vonage about how the analog adaptors they supplied send the CallerID?

Yes, I finally figured out that I needed to change the config file; sorry to bug you about that one. The icon thing makes sense, and as for the folder being left, I believe it was a problem with our computer and not your software.

Vonage said that the Caller ID info is either SDMF or MDMF. Even since switching to VoiceGuide for Dialogic we are still not picking up the Caller ID info for some reason, so any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I will need to switch computers to post the trace but will do so in just a moment.

One more question: Since changing the number of rings until pickup (from 0 to 2) VG seems to answer prematurely; by the time the caller is connected, the script has already begun and they've missed the first few seconds. I believe the dialogic card info is correct in the config.xml file (I saw in a previous post that this may be the problem); any ideas on how to fix this? (You can probably see what's going on in the log I'm about to post.)

Thanks!

Log attached. In the most recent call everything worked correctly (except Caller ID info), but in the call before, the script began prematurely. This seems to randomly fix itself from time to time. Any advice you have would be excellent. Thank you!

0220tw.txt

Trace shows that the last call in the trace which arrived at 16:15:24 was answered after second ring, and that no CallerID information was sent by the analog adapter at all between the first and second ring.

The second last call in the trace (16:14:20) was also answered after the second ring, exactly as in the other call:

161420.442 001 ev TDX_CST DE_RINGS data=0 ringcount=2

161420.502 001 ocxfn LineAnswer(lLineId=1, lParam=0, strParam=)

Any connection delay would be due to a delay by the VoIP provider connecting the call.

You may want to have a few seconds silence at the beginning of first sound file played to guard against this.

Ultimately it's best to find a VoIP provider which is consistent in connecting the call in a specific time...

Which Dialogic card are you using?

We do have an external Caller ID enabled phone which picks up Caller ID info after the first ring, so the information is definitely coming in through Vonage. For some reason VG is unable to pick up this info, but I'm not sure whether the problem lies with Vonage or VG (or me).

We're using a Proline/2V-ISA Dialogic card.

We're using a Proline/2V-ISA Dialogic card.
This may be the reason. That old card can only support these CallerID protocols:

Bellcore TR-TSY-000030

Bellcore TR-TSY-000031

TAS T5 PSTN1 ACLIP: 1994 (Singapore)

Modem standard : Bell 202 or V.23, serial 1200 b/s (simplex FSK signaling)

Data formats: Single Data Message (SDM) and Multiple Data Message (MDM) formats

Message formats: ASCII or binary SDM, MDM message content

(See: http://www.intel.com/network/csp/pdf/2700.pdf )

Whereas a current D/4PCIUF or D/4PCIU4S card can support these protocols:

Bellcore TR-TSY-000030

Bellcore TR-TSY-000031

TAS T5 PSTN1 ACLIP: 1994 (Singapore)

British Telecom SIN 242 (Issue 01)

British Telecom SIN 227 (Issue 01)

Japan NTT CLIP

Modem standard : Bell 202 or V.23, serial 1200 b/s (simplex FSK signaling)

Data formats: Single Data Message (SDM) and Multiple Data Message commands

Message formats: ASCII or binary SDM, MDM message content

(See: ftp://download.intel.com/design/telecom/prodbref/8497.pdf )

Which Service Release drivers are you using?

We are using the SR5.1.1.

I don't think the problem is with our card, because we have definitely been able to retrieve caller ID info in the past using this card. I checked our VG Log Viewer and found that we randomly picked up Caller ID info from Vonage on December 21 and 22 of last year, but those were the only days we ever got this info from Vonage. This was around the time of an office move for us, but I was on vacation and am not sure if anything was altered with the VoiceGuide during this time. Is there more information I can provide that may help to figure out why the Caller ID info is no longer retrieved??

Thx!

The trace shows that the Dialogic card is reporting that it has not detected any CallerID signal sent. There is nothing else that we can do...

Only thing we can suggest is to try installing a later version of the System Release Drivers or try another (newer model) card.

Could this be a wiring problem then? Perhaps I need to plug things in differently. Could you please tell me exactly how everything needs to be set up? Clearly the card is able to receive Caller ID info from our phone service provider, because it has done so in the past. We do not plan on buying a new card anytime soon, especially because we know this card is able to retrieve the necessary information. I also do not plan on installing anything additional because it is fairly obvious to me that this is not necessary.

Would not be a wiring problem as the calls are received fine. Just not the CallerID information...

There is nothing much we can do from our side - traces show that VoiceGuide software is asking the card "Have you received any CallerID information?" and the card is replying "No" ...

If the same setup was working before then it would seem like the card is malfunctioning (as CallerID is still received by a phone attached to the line).