VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Ringing The Handset

I have not seen this question asked here, but if I missed it, please accept my apologies.

I am using a Modem Blaster in a black box retail environment. In otherwords, I am going to install many of these in retail outlets that will have a single phone line.

When a caller calls in, I want to run some DTMF interaction, then I want to call someone in the store to the phone. Again, I only have the one line. Can I make the handset ring?

I want to have the phone line wired like this:

wall ---------> Modem Blaster ----------->Handset

rather than

|---------Modem Blaster

wall----|

|---------Handset

because I don't want the person in the store to be able to pick up the handset and prevent a switch-hook for 3-way (from the telco) from happening. In otherwords, the store clerk is not welcome into the conversation until business is taken care of.

Can I exclude the clerk until welcome? Can I ring the clerk when he or she is needed?

Thanks,

Bill Compton

When you connect the telephone handset to the modem it's just like connecting it to a common wall jack - the second jack in the modem is essentially a 'line splitter'.

So when a call arrives on that line the handset will ring (try it...)

The best option here is to disable the ringing on the handset - and when the store clerk is to pick up the handset then play an alert over the PC speaker.

VG's Help file section on the Run Program Module has information on how to play a sound file over the PC speaker, the command line is (for example):

sndrec32 /play /close c:\test.wav

After disabling the ringing on a handset the store clerk will not be aware of when the call arrives on the line.

When you connect the telephone handset to the modem it's just like connecting it to a common wall jack - the second jack in the modem is essentially a 'line splitter'.

So when a call arrives on that line the handset will ring (try it...)

So, in the case of a Modem Blaster where the phone line goes into the "in" port and the line from the "out" port goes to the handset. If VoiceGuide issues a switch hook and the local user has picked up the handset, no switch hook will be heard by the telco?

Sorry for asking a question I could answer with experimentation, but I have not yet received by Modem Blaster and am anxious to get on with the planning of my application.

Thanks

Bill Compton

I'm pretty sure the hook-switch will not be heard by the telco if the attached handset is picked up...

We'll know once your modem arrives...