VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Shared Ado Connections

Just some general questions on use of MS SQL db with VoiceGuide for Dialogic (3243).

1. Does the VoiceGuide app itself handle multiple lines via a state machine or does it use multi-threading? The implication here is that a state machine approach would result in a single threaded Windows applicaiton as opposed to a multi-threaded app where the operating system is dealing with the parallel processing of the 24 lines.

The reason I ask is that I was wondering if I used just one global SQL connection for all of my 24 lines, could I be assured that only one sql query at a time will be pushed through on that connection? In other words, if I am sure to keep the recordset object local, could these multiple recordset queries on different lines share the same global SQL connection. The way I would do this is to initially open a SQL connection in a VB script return it and make it global via the VG Evaluate Expression Module? Then in my scripts which run on each line, they would only open a local recordset (while using that global connection object) so that results from different lines will not be confused.

2. Does your knowledge and experience dictate that one MUST have a separate SQL connection for each line? Even if I must have a separate local connection, could I open & close it after each query to minimize as much as possible the number of simulaneous sql connections required? Is the cost of opening a connection high enough that you wouldn't recommend this as a work around?

The rationale for sharing SQL connections is to minimize the number the VG app will need & use, as our SQL server license, I belive, currently limits us to 10.

Thanks for your feedback.

could I open & close it after each query to minimize as much as possible the number of simultaneous sql connections required?
This is what is currently happening. Whenever you use a "DB Query" module a new connection is made just for that query and is then deleted when a query is finished.

This is similar to what you would do in a VBScript module if you're using it to access the DB - you would create the connection then do the query and then close the connection on exit.

This approach is used to minimize the number of database connections used by VG at any one time.