VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vg And Ramdisk

Hi, I want to consider using a RAMDISK to store WAVs and possibly redirect the VG temporary storage and working folders to ramdisk.

I want to reduce disk activity because the same machine hosts a database server and our number-speaking VBS library is quite big, so every time a number is spoken, we get a huge library-file copy. Also, ramdisk would help reponse times for fetching WAVs and VBS files (we use many on each call).

Assuming I can provide a RAMDISK of a suffcient size (whatever that may be! I realize that this is a risk to provide sufficent overhead to allow for correct system operation and to prepare the disk on each boot-up), then can you answer the following questions:

1) Have you any experience of doing this?

2) Can I redirect the basic-path settings for TEMP, DATA or LOG directories to a simulated ramdisk 'hard-drive'. Ideally, I would like to specify paths to these system directories in the VG.INI file.

3) Assuming I cannot redirect paths at the moment, I will try and locate the entire VG directory in RAMDISK and see what happens, any reason why this won't work?

4 How easy would it be to add redectable paths in the VG.INI so that they are read in at VG startup and used for remainder of VG session?

Thanks and seasons greetings... +tim+

1) Have you any experience of doing this?
No. Not really the done thing these days. HD usage by VG is not really that high, and the memory buffers on HDs these days mean that HD access in the volumes used by VG does not really slow down the app that much. Are you seeing on your system, that the HD usage by VG is significant? What are the CPU/Mem/HDs specs of this system?

2) Can I redirect the basic-path settings for TEMP, DATA or LOG directories to a simulated ramdisk 'hard-drive'.
No. We could add this feature in, but you would need to contact sales@voiceguide.com for a quote.

I will try and locate the entire VG directory in RAMDISK
Can't think of a reason why it would not work.