VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Dialogic 4pci Record Format & Tts

Your assistance in aiding me to understand and avoid potential problems and costly telephony card damage is much appreciated...

I am a Telephony novice though VoiceGuide seems rather user friendly. Microsoft's SAPI 5.1 TTS Engine voices sound horribly robotic, and of course I want to provide our telephone call-in customers with clear and nearest-to-human sounding TTS voices as possible to facilitate product descriptions, announcements, etc.

Katalina's VoiceGuide Web site lists a number of alternative, better TTS engines; however, upon initial research I noticed about 98 percent of those listed (including the more reasonably priced options) only come in 8Khz or 16Khz ?"X" format? and not the 11Khz "recording" format" required of Dialogic 4PCI telephony voice boards. Do the two functions, TTS and Record format , share any application connection at all?

Which would you suggest (and why) we go with, the lower or higher Khz, and what if any potential affects might this action have on the operation of the 4PCI card? And, if you suggest against either, would you have any other TTS engine product suggestions? We run W2K Prof w/SP3, Dialogic 4PCI, POTS (plain old telephone service, no PBX).

Thank you very much for your speedy reply!.

P.S. - Can you also advise on the specific day and/or week of the VoiceGuide 5.0 market release?

I'd recommend selecting the higher frequency (ie 16kHz) TTS engine - it will result in better quality sound files played out

If you use the 8kHz one then it will be upsampled to 11kHz for the Dialogic card - and the quality will not be as good as when the 16kHz TTS is downsampled to 11kHz before play on Dialogic.

Whichever TTS engine you chose it will not result in any damage to the card - just the quality of the sound it plays.

BTW: AT&T is regarded as pretty much the best TTS around right now many of VoiceGuide customers who use TTS end up selecting their 16kHz TTS engine.

Looks like v5.0 will be out in about a week