VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Searching Xls Files For Certian Numbers.

I am very unfamiliar with vb, the only programming language I know anything about, is SQL and PHP. My boss want's me to make a script in VG where, when a caller enters in a 9 digit number, VG will open up an excel file and verify they are a customer. I was reading through the help file and past posts from users, but I still don't think I have what I need to finish the project.

Regards,

Ted Balog

Basically, what I need to do is search through the "A" column for a certian number, if it is there, then they will enter another 9 digit number, it will do the same thing basically, just in another column. Then the user will enter in a dollar amount up to $9,999.99 and then it will search another column to verify that, the person has that kind of balance. I just don't know where to start :s

Have a look through the Help file's entry on Run VBScript module. There are some VBScript examples demonstrating basic interactions with Excel.

Readup on other functions/methods/properties of the Excel.Application object and the WorkBooks object - see Excel programming and VBScript websites.

Searching through Excel for a value is fairly commonly done (although exporting it to proper DB would be a better approach...)

Thanks for getting back to me. It was originally in FoxPro, but myself and my boss tried to get that working but the ODBC seemed like it wouldn't connect, and now while trying to get excel to work, it gives me an error of: [3274:External table is not in the expected format.]

This is more of an Excel/VBScript related question rather then a VoiceGuide one. Please see VBScript or Excel related sites for help - I think you will be able to find pretty much ready to use examples of what you are trying.

You could always use DDE to access the Excell spreadsheet directly vrom VG though? Just a thought.

Cheers

Simon

You could always use DDE to access the Excell spreadsheet directly vrom VG though? Just a thought.

Cheers

Simon

I don't know what that is, could you explain?

DDE = Dynamic Data Exchange. It is a mechanism which has been around for donkeys years which enables Windows applications (and others supporting DDE) to exchange data with each other.

The Voiceguide help files show how to use DDE to exchange data between Voiceguide and other applications and they also give an example of how to enter data into an Excel spreadsheet using the DDE module.

Here is the help file: http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/mod%20Dde.htm

Cheers

Simon

Actually, I've just been playing around with DDE in voiceguide and it appears that the DDE module can only be used to send data to another application (such as Excel). I can't find a way of actually reading data from Excel using DDE, which is what you are trying to do. I suspect it can't be done using DDE as the Voiceguide module is called a "DDE Send" module.

Have you thought about using an access database rather than an excel spreadsheet? If you do, then you can use the Voiceguide Database module to interrogate the database which I KNOW works, as I use it myself!

Cheers

Simon

Well, currently the database is in FoxPro, and the guy that does all our FoxPro programming says its easiest to do .csv, excel, and you can do access, but its a pain in the butt.

Another question, to read and manipulate data in excel, must you have it installed on the computer?

Also, excel interaction would be much easier if VBA was compatible, does anyone know if it is?