VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Problem With Message Pause/resume And Missing Vox Files

Hi,

I have 2 problems with a new system I have just installed.

It is a basic message taking machine, and records messsages as WAV files. When listening to these messages the user uses the 5 button to pause / resume message playback. They also use button 4 to jump backwards within the message and button 6 to jump forwards.

Everything seems to work ok except when they use the pause or rewind buttons a lot. Occasionally the message will jump back to the beginning of the message (or sometimes it will jump to the end of the message) rather than pause/resume or jump back x seconds.

The second problem I have is that occasionally when going to listen to a message for the second time, it will not play the message. I dont know if it played it successfully the first time round. I look at the messages directory and there is the WAV file there (say 350kb in size) but the VOX file is 0kb. Presumably this is why the file is not being played, but why is the VOX 0kb? Could this be linked to the problem above?

Would it be better to record the messages in VOX format in the first instance? I assume the WAVs are being converted to VOX and if there is a VOX already there then it wont convert it. BUT somehow the VOX is 0kb. I need to find out why this is.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Simon

Occasionally the message will jump back to the beginning of the message (or sometimes it will jump to the end of the message) rather than pause/resume or jump back x seconds.

Please post some traces capturing this. We will need the 'tw' traces.

Presumably this is why the file is not being played, but why is the VOX 0kb?

That would explain why file does not play. Hard to say why it would be 0kB - maybe more then one process is trying to access the file (?) - would need to see some tw traces...

Would it be better to record the messages in VOX format in the first instance?

Yes. It is better to just use VOX files when using VG for Dialogic.

Given the problems you have then using just VOX is the best thig to try.

Can you remind me the way to use VOX files rather than WAV for messages? Do I just ask voiceguide to record a file with a .VOX extension and it workes it our for itself, or do I have to set something in vg.ini or some other config file?

Hi,

The problem with pause / resume / jump forward / jump backwards during message playback is fairly consistent. What happens is it works for a while but after doing quite a few pause / resumes and some jump back type operations it then gets all screwwed up, and if you are towards the end of the message and press a key to jump back it jumps to the start of the message, and starts playing again and then if you press pause during the message when you resume it jumps right to the end of the message. This happens consistently.

The attache log files detail the problem. This is urgent now as this system is taking orders for a client and the orders cannot be transcribed reliably. Therefore please help!

Many thanks

Simon

log.zip

PLEASE .... can you let me know what the status of this problem is?

To reconfirm, when using the PAUSE/RESUME of JUMP BACK / JUMP FORWARD functions, they sometimes work but after using them a few times they fail to work and they then randomly either skip to the start of the message or jump to the end of the message when trying to PAUSE or when trying to JUMP BACK.

I have posted the trace files ages ago, but I dont know if you are looking at this, or if you feel it isn't an important issue.

My client is using the system to record customer orders which are quite lengthy, and so these features are absolutely essential when they are trying to transcribe these orders.

I would really appreciate it if you can give me some idea of what is happening here?

Thank you.

The trace supplied shows the pause/resume key being pressed repeatedly, but we're not sure from the trace at which point the problem occurs...

Can you please run a test again and indicate at which keypress the first problem occurs and indicate what the problem was. Then please post the trace of that call and then when we know at which key press the problem occurs we can then look in the log at the right place.

The trace I provided was from a call where I paused/resumed a number of times and it was on the last keypress in which the message jumped back to the begining instread of resuming.

I have attached another trace. This one shows the following sequence :

Key Action What actually happened

5 Pause Pause

5 Resume Resume

5 Pause Pause

4 Jump Back Jumped Forward

5 Pause Pause

5 Resume Jumped to start of message

I then forced a hang up.

This is typical but not always the same.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Simon

Further to my last post I have done 2 more tests. I changed the script so key 5 is pause and key 8 is resume, key 4 is jump back and key 6 is jump forward.

Test 2

I called in and did a number of various key presses which all seemed to work ok, except the last one where I pressed 6 to jump forward and it jumped right to the end of the message. When my app tried to repeat the message it wouldnt play the message but just seemed to immediately jump to the end of the message and the script continued from there. I tried to repeat the message twice and it failed both times. I then forced a hang up. Log file Fail_log2.zip refers to this

Test 3

Here I dialled in and pressed 6 to jump fwd (ok), 4 to jump back(ok), 4 to jump back(ok), 5 to pause(ok), 8 to resume(ok), 5 to pause(ok), 4 to jump back (failed - jumped right back top start of message, and startted palying from the begining again), then 6 to jump forward (failed - jumped to end of message). I then forced hang up. Log file Fail_log3.zip captured this.

Regrds

Simon

fail_log1.zip

fail_log2.zip

fail_log3.zip

Do we have any clues yet on this one? I am running out of time here.

Any help (even a fudged work-around will be fine) would be greatly appreciated.

My client is calling for the system to be removed and I really dont want that to happen.

Regards

Simon

We're looking at the traces now and should have an answer available in about 24 hours.

Thats brilliant! Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Best wishes

Simon

Please place attached .OCX in your Windows' System32 directory, overwriting existing OCX (may want to back it up or rename it first though...)

Then restart VG and please run these tests:

1. Play file and run a series (5 or more) of just pause/resume cycles on it.

2. Play file and run a series (5 or more) of jump forwards cycles on the file.

3. Play file and run a series (5 or more) of jump back cycles on the file.

4. Play file and do a random mix of pause/skip commands.

If you have any problems then please post traces of the tests.

ktTelControl.zip

Results of tests are as follows:

1. Pressing pause/resume. Pause worked fine, but on resume the message resumed from the beginning of the message every time, not from the point it was paused. Trace file pause.zip refers

2. Jump back. This feature jumped back to the beginning of the message every time irrespective of where in the message the key was pressed. Trace file jumpback.zip refers

3. Jump forward. This feature worked as expected, consistently every time. Trace file jumpfwd.zip refers

4. Random mix . The above results (i.e. as in 1,2,, and 3 above) were experienced until a JUMP FORWARD was performed. As soon as a jump forward was performed all the other features (pause/resume/jump back/ and jump forward) all performed correctly for the duration of that call. The only slight problem was that a resume would actually resume from slightly before where the message had been paused. This is not necessarily a problem although the difference between a pause then resume, and a pause then jump back is very small. This is something I can live with though. As soon as the call ends and a new call is made then the pause/resume/jump back features do not work until a jump forward is performed. Once a jump forward is performed then all the features work ok. Trace file various.zip refers

Nearly there.... Thanks for the help so far.

Regrds

Simon

jumpback.zip

jumpfwd.zip

pause.zip

various.zip

And just to give some further information, if you do a JUMP FORWARD during a message all the features work ok for the duration of that message, BUT if you do a JUMP FORWARD (making all other functions work) and then do several JUMP BACK's so that you get back to the start of the message, then the pause / resume function and the JUMP BACK function stops working again. Its as though at the beginning of the message something is reset. However, by doing another JUMP FORWARD, all the functions start working again.

I hope this helps with a speedy resolution, because I DO need a speedy resolution!

Many thanks

Simon

Are we any closer to having a fix for this? My client is no longer able (or willing) to use the system for his order line, and is requesting I install an alternative product. I really need to resolve this today, or I lose a client, and a distributor.

Please place attached .OCX in your Windows' System32 directory, overwriting existing OCX.

(if you want to backup existing OCX then please remove it from the system, do not just rename it and leave it on system.)

Then restart VG and please run the tests as before.

ktTelControl.zip

Firstly, many thanks indeed for providing this latest OCX. It is very much appreciated.

I have done some careful testing with 2 slightly different scripts and both sets of results are as follows:

Test Set A

------------

1st script where a message is played, and after the message has finished playing the user can press 2 to repeat the message.

1. Multiple pause / resume actions using key 5 and 8 - All pause/resume actions worked as expected with no problems. Message repeated succesfully time after time. Trace file Pause2.zip refers

2. Jump back actions also worked as expected, and the message repeated successfully time after time. Trace file jumpback2.zip refers

3. Jump forward actions also worked as expected, and the message repeated successfully time after time. Trace file jumpfwd2.zip refers

4. Combination of pause/resume/jump back/jump forward all worked as expected and the message repeated successfully time after time. Trace file random2.zip refers

(So far so good)

Test Set B

------------

2nd script where a reference number is spoken prior to the message being played, and if a caller selects to repeat the message, the reference number is spoken first and then the message is repeated.

In all tests, all the functions worked as expected during message playback, however, when the caller selected to repeat the message the script played the reference number again, but then failed to play the message second time round. It seemed to skip straight to the end of the message. This was fairly consistent, although on some occasions it DID play the message second time round but then failed the next time the caller tried to repeat the message.

The following trace files refer :

Pause2fail.zip - paused/resumed ok during 1st play, but failed to repeat the message again at each attempt

Jumpback2fail.zip - jumped back ok during 1st play but failed to repeat the message at each attempt

Jumpback3fail.zip - jumped back ok during 1st play, failed to repeat, but then tried again and it repeated ok, but then failed to repeat on each attempt after that.

Jumpback4fail.zip - jumped back ok during 1st play, repeated ok 1st time, 2nd time failed to repeat, 3rd time repeated ok, 4th time failed to repeat. (During each successful repeat further jum back actions were performed)

jumpfwd2fail.zip - jumped forward ok during 1st play but then failed to repeat at each attempt.

From my point of view this issue is now LOW PRIORITY, as I can change my script so that the reference number is not repeated as in 'Test Set A' above, and it should work ok. However, there is still this very odd result of a failure when trying to repeat a message after a reference number has been played prior to the message, which perhaps ought to be looked at.

Please post a fix as and when you can, and I will be only too happy to do some testing for you to check it out.

In the meantime many many thanks for getting this fix to me, and if I get any further feedback from my client I will forward it on to you.

Best wishes

Simon

ICS

jumpback2.zip

jumpfwd2.zip

pause2.zip

random2.zip

jumpback2fail.zip

jumpback3.fail.zip

jumpback4fail.zip

pause2fail.zip

jumpfwd2fail.zip

Further feedback. I'm afraid the system failed completely last night. The symptom is that it was not possible to record any new messages. The attached log files show the problem, and I suspect there is a similar symptom in another post from EricGuest.

http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4122

I have had to revert back to the original OCX file.

Back to you I'm afraid.

Regds

Simon

latestfail.zip