VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Vg And Smdi

We are a one-switch ILEC in a small western US city. We have a DMS-10 with 3,000 POTS telephone subscribers and growing. Our voice mail system is failing (an older Centigram with one failed hard drive) and we’re looking at options. We have 490 voice mail customers, growing at the rate of 10 per month. Our old Centigram is connected to the DMS with 28 analog POTS lines and SMDI signaling. Other than the failing hard drive (over $4,000.00 to replace that drive with a 8 year old used/refurbished drive) it has been working great for 8 years.

All standard replacement options involve many tens-of-thousands of $. Current management favorite is the Advanced Peripherals box at $45K, but I personally like to explore options others might consider “outside the box”.

Could this software package integrate as tightly to our Nortel as the Centigram does? We would want to continue to use the SMDI link (ours runs with RS-232 at 9600bps). Does Vg offer a possibility here that I can go to my super with and say it’s worth a look?

And specifically, how does Vg utilize SMDI?

VoiceGuide can interface via SMDI over RS-232. Please send an email to sales@voiceguide.com for pricing on that CTI option.

And with a few modfifications to the voicemail scripts (see \system\vm\ subdirectory) to make them use a database instead of the flat XML file, the system can support an unlimited number of voicemail boxes. (flat file XML will perform well for up to about 5000 VMB's)