VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Poor Voice Quality With Dialogic D/4pci

Hi,

After I installed my card Dialogic D/4PCI on a 2000 server machine

I got a very slow voice with the credit card sample script.

the voice quality was better on a usb modem.

Please help me with this

Thanks

Bob

I got a very slow voice

You're probably using the wrong format sound files.

The files should be 8kHz, not 11kHz.

Read the readme.txt file which came with VG for Dialogic - you need to select the option which installs the 8kHz files when installing VoiceGuide for Dialogic.

Is there a way to load the 8kHz file without having to uninstall and reinstall VG?

Thank You

Bob

You could install VG on another machine and then just copy over the contents of the \system\voice\ subdirectory.

In the VoiceGuide help file 2.System configuration - Install on Dialogic system, close to the end it says:

"Wav file format

When using a Dialogic card all sound files should be in format: PCM 11kHZ, 8 bit, Mono."

On the other hand, in this thread below you suggest 8KHZ:

"You're probably using the wrong format sound files.

The files should be 8kHz, not 11kHz.

Read the readme.txt file which came with VG for Dialogic - you need to select the option which installs the 8kHz files when installing VoiceGuide."

Which one is correct???????

You need to use 8kHz files when using "VoiceGuide for Dialogic".

If you choose to use the TAPI version of VG (v5.x) then you need to use 11kHz.

There is no reason why you should chose to use the TAPI version if you have a Dialogic card. If you have a Dialogic card then use "VoiceGuide for Dialogic".

I happen to agree the Voiceguide documentation is confusing here, as I got exactly the same problem, but managed to work out for myself that the Voice Files were in the wrong format.

At the end of the day if the documentation says :

"When using a Dialogic card all sound files should be in format: PCM 11kHZ, 8 bit, Mono"

And yet support tell us:

"If you choose to use the TAPI version of VG (v5.x) then you need to use 11kHz.

There is no reason why you should chose to use the TAPI version if you have a Dialogic card."

..... and ergo, no reason to use 11khz files if you have a Dialogic card, which contradicts the documentation.

Confusing.

"Wav file format

When using a Dialogic card all sound files should be in format: PCM 11kHZ, 8 bit, Mono."

I copied this quote from the latest help file that comes with vg5.2.5049. It is in the "Installing on Dialogic Systems" chapter almost at the bottom.

This 8 or 11 KHz confusion is not an issue for me any more but you can stop people to bombard you with the same problem again and again if you update the help file with the correct information.

It is more probably that people read the help file than this support forum.

http://www.voiceguide.com/vghelp/html/SoundFiles.htm Quote:

"Sound files

Windows Voice Modem Wave driver can only support sound files in the following format PCM 8000Hz, 16bit, Mono. When using Voice modems all sound files must be recorded in the above format.

Dialogic Wave driver prefers sound files in the following format PCM 11025Hz, 8bit, Mono. When using a Dialogic with v5 of VoiceGuide, all sound files should be recorded in the above format.

VoiceGuide for Dialogic can use either WAV files or VOX files. Wave files should be in the following format PCM 8000Hz, 8bit, Mono. VOX files should be in format 4bit ADPCM, 8000Hz.

VoiceGuide comes with a number of pre-recorded system files which are instaled in directory \system\voice\

If at install time the Modem/TAPI option was selected then the files in that directory will be in "PCM 8kHz 16bit Mono" format.

If at install time the Dialogic option was selected then the files in that directory will be in "PCM 11kHz 8bit Mono" format."

Question to clarify:

1, If the "Dialogic Wave driver prefers sound files in the following format PCM 11025Hz, 8bit, Mono", then why should the Dialogic wav files be 8khz?

The wave drive is not related to the wav file?

2, If I have a Dialogic card, I must not choose the Dialogic option at installation because it installs the 11Khz? I must choose the Modem/Tapi option because it is 8khz? Is it its logic?

3 It seems that for Dialogic card we have to use Voice Modem Wave driver and not the Dialogic Wave driver.

4, Isn't it only the Dialogic Card vs. Voice Modem but something else I have to consider at installation and at choosing the file's khz?

5, Am I the only one who is totally confused here?

(I know I need 8 khz)

Maybe I understand now, let me summarize it for confirmation - for the Dialogic card.

When I install vg5.2.5049 and does not want to install the VoiceGuide for Dialogic 6.0.3107 patch, I need to choose the Dialogic options and use 11khz wav files.

I understand that this is not recommended because it is underutilization of the Dialogic card.

When I install vg5.2.5049 and know that I will update it with VoiceGuide for Dialogic 6.0.3107 patch, I need to choose the Modem/tapi option (8khz) [to get the 8khz system files???] - not the Dialogic option, because the Dialogic patch update will change something that make only the 8khz files playable.

Is that correct?

When I install vg5.2.5049 and does not want to install the VoiceGuide for Dialogic 6.0.3107 patch, I need to choose the Dialogic options and use 11khz wav files.

Correct.

I understand that this is not recommended because it is underutilization of the Dialogic card.

Dialogic TAPI/Wave drivers have problems. That's why you should not use the TAPI version of VG (v5.x) with Dialogic. The "VG for Dialogic (v6.x) does not use TAPI/Wave drivers.

When I install vg5.2.5049 and know that I will update it with VoiceGuide for Dialogic 6.0.3107 patch, I need to choose the Modem/tapi option (8khz) [to get the 8khz system files???] - not the Dialogic option, because the Dialogic patch update will change something that make only the 8khz files playable.

Correct.

It is in the "Installing on Dialogic Systems" chapter almost at the bottom.

That section deals with installing Wave drivers...