VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Starting Vg As A Service

When we attempt to run VG as a service it does not place outgoing calls. Our means of starting the service run VgMulti.exe

Can you enable tracing in the application, then restart it and post the logs in \log\ subdirectory.

A little more information...our users have told us that they are receiving phone calls, but the text to speech message is not being played when they answer. When I did testing, I did not receive calls...

Traces show outgoing calls made, and the TTS trace shows that the TTS reported that it did generate the sound files OK, so traces are as you would expect them on a properly working system.

Other people have not really reported such problems when running VG as a service, so we're not sure what to suggest next. Is this a fairly 'clean' windows install or are there other some other software other then windows and VG installed on this machine?

Thank you for your help. I tested this again today and it appers to work now, but I am sure when I tested this last week voiceguide was not working.

(1)Is there any way to monitor the application when it is started as a service?

When I tested last week, outgoing messages were not being sent, I stopped the vg service, and then started vg using Programs->VoiceGuide. A back log of messages were sent right away.

(2) Are there any watchdog capabilities...we need to ensure that this application is up and functioning at all times?

Marty

1)Is there any way to monitor the application when it is started as a service?

Only be periodically looking at the log file, or having the scripts call some functions which would inform you of it's operation (enter data in database etc.)

(2) Are there any watchdog capabilities...we need to ensure that this application is up and functioning at all times?

Simplest approach is as described above.

We could create a more sophisticated add-on which would make VG perform a series of actions exercising various sub-systems at regular intervals to confirm that it various modules are still working OK... if you want something like this send an email to sales@vocieguide.com for a quote.

There is a periodic cleanup script that runs in VoiceGuide that deletes temporary files every so often. I wonder if it would be possible (at some time in the future) to run a script at this time. There are two relatively easy ways to set this up, 1. (the easiest) would be put a path to a VGS/VBS script in the VG.INI, or add a script option in the script properties box to run a script (again VGS/VBS) on cleanup, like the on hangup script.

It would be possible to run a script at every hangup (which could check itself when it ran last), so that it only runs every so often, but this assumes that you have sufficently regular calls to trigger the on-hangup script. By attaching something on the periodic cleanup event, there is perhaps the possibility that this could act as a fairly reliable watchdog.

The script could easily update your database (or whatever) with progress so far.

I could really make use of this feature if it was to be made available!

When starting vg as a service automatically on boot up, it does not work properly (place calls). If vg is started manually as a service it works fine. Is there a dependancy that needs to exist (maybe between the dialogic drivers)? If so, how do I set it up.

Thanks,

Marty

Dialogic drivers need to be started first before Voiceguide begins to start.

You should be able to set this dependency when using the 3rd party tools which wrap VG into the service...

What are you using? Firedeamon or something else?

You may also want to check out: http://www.activeplus.com/us/products/smill/

We have selected Allow to interact with desktop for the vg service, but the window does not open. Any ideas?

Thanks

If you have it running as a service then nothing will be displayed on the screen.