VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

VG Will Not Answer

I'm running version 6.0.2381 after applying the patch to correct the VM forwarding issue.

VG will not answer my calls now.

I've attached my script and two trace logs. One at level 9 and the other at level 5.

It appears to me that the RV_Ringcount is not being incremented.

I can't really tell why the system hangsup. Can you help?

Sure would be nice to have a little explaination of what I am looking at in the trace log. Parts I understand but most of it I do not.

Before applying the patch VG appeared to answer correctly.

VG_Not_Answering_2006_01_16.zip

I think the reason I thought VG worked prior to the update was due to the fact that I had set the module to answer on ring 1.

This problem may have started with an earlier version but went undetected until I increased the number of rings to answer.

I have done some other testing and what I think is happening is that RV_RingCount is not being incremented and that at some point it is being set to "0".

I tried using part of the sample code from "Alert and Wait Before Answering Call" to insert the value of RV_RingCount into the trace log and it indicated the same thing. It showed that it was initally 1 and then was not incremented and then it was "0".

Basically what I did was have my Time Switch direct the call to a VB Script module that contained the code to check the RV_RingCount every 4 seconds and then to add it to the trace log using Admin_TraceLogAdd.

I also used the "Alert and Wait Before Answering Call" directly with only one modification. I changed the start module to be "Wait Until 4th Ring". I had the same results as before. I have attached a trace log for this event.

VG_Trace_Log_Did_Not_Answer_Alert___Wait_Before_Answering_Call_Level_5_2006_01_16.zip

I failed to mention that even after VG has "hungup" or disconnected and reset the line the phone continues to ring and VG does not detect this ringing.

Basically the phone rings and never stops but VG will detect the initial ringing and attempt to process the call but when it fails and resets the line it never actually hangs up the line. The phone continues to ring uninterrupted.

You have the script set to "start without answering the call" - can you try without this setting and just having the script start normally after the specified number of Rings?

I guess I could change that setting. I'm assuming that changing the setting will limit my ability to decide when to answer the call.

Is there something wrong with the way I am trying to answer the call?

Why doesn't RV_RingCount increment with each ring?

My script runs fine up to the point where it checks the RV_RingCount.

I guess I feel like I'm missing something.

By changing this setting am I correcting the problem or am I just trying something to see what will happen?

Admin. said:

You have the script set to "start without answering the call" - can you try without this setting and just having the script start normally after the specified number of Rings?

I had my script set to "start without answering the call" because that's what the Help file said would work.

Help File said:

It is sometimes desirable to carry out some processing before the call is answered. Quite often the purpose of this processing is to determine whether the call should be answered or not at all.

A VoiceGuide script can be configured to start running without answering the telephone line. This allows VoiceGuide to conduct any Caller ID based database lookups or calls to users programs, VB Script calls etc. in order to determine how the call should be treated.

To select this option use the "Script Properties" menu entry from the "Edit" menu in the Graphical Design Environment, then check the "Start the script without answering call" box.

I unchecked the "start without answering the call" check box as you suggested and the call is answered immediately. The call then gets stuck in my Evaluate Expression module because I am checking the RV_RingCount and since the call was answered immediately there is no ringing so there is no way RingCount can be incremented. So my script fails in this module.

What I don't understand is why VG hangsup. It looks like it would get stuck in this module and never come out. But as you can see from the Trace Log VG hangs up. Can you tell me why?

I'm having trouble understanding the logic of performing this test. Was there some hope that this would work?

Was your suggestion simply a "work around" until the problem could be resolved? If it was I wish it would have been stated as such so that I would know to modify my script to make it work. I could uncheck "Start the script without answering call" box and remove some of my modules that normally would determine when and if to answer the call. I could do that and get the system "working" but it would not work the way that I want it to or the way that it should.

Between the Time Zone difference and the lack of good communication this process can get very frustrating. I've taken the time to be as detailed as I possibly be given my lack of experience and knowledge of VG. Please respond in kind by making the same effort. If you suggest changing someting please let me know why and what we hope to accomplish by making the change. If there is a problem with VG then tell me so. I would feel much better knowing there was something wrong with the program than wondering if there was something wrong with my script.

It would also save me a tremendous amount of time if I knew the problem was with VG. If it is a VG problem I would quit trying to figure out what was wrong on my end.

As usual I am hoping all my questions will be answered but I'm not counting on it.

I've attached 2 trace logs of the unchecked "Start the script without answering call" box. One of the logs did not have the very first part of the call so I ran the test again to capture the beginning of the call.

VG_Trace_Log_2006_01_17.zip

I've run another test.

I changed my start module to the Main Greeting Module. This bypassed the module that normally would decide when to answer based upon RingCount. I also unchecked "start without answering the call".

I then selected the Line in VG and set the number of rings to answer to 3.

The call was never answered. Attached is the Trace Log.

VG_Trace_Log_Did_Not_Answer_Modified_Script_2006_01_17.zip

The trace (quoted here as it is quite short) shows that the Dialogic card reported only one incoming RING, and then 8 seconds later the system timed out awaiting for another ring:

150656.72   1 event callstate OFFERING 1 2,0,0

150656.73   1       script interpretor: VgMulti v6.0.2381

150656.77   1       fired OFFERING event to listeners

150656.78   1 cid   CallerID vars set (in 'offering' event) [,,]

150656.80   1       call AnswerTheCallIfAllowed from LINECALLSTATE_OFFERING

150656.83   1       rings=0, min rings before answer=3 (iCallerIdHasArrived=0)

150656.84   1 tw    ring 1

150656.88   1 ring  time since last ring event (sec): 0.00

150656.89   1       rings=1, min rings before answer=3 (iCallerIdHasArrived=0)

150656.92   1 tw    DialogicEvent 134,TDX_CST,0,0,0,DE_RINGS,ET_ROFF,

150656.94   1 event ScriptEventCode TDX_CST, code=134, state=900

150656.97   1       LsAwaitingCalls EV_UNKNOWN_134

150704.70   1 event callstate IDLE 1 1,0,0

When you attach a telephone to this line does the phone also only ring once, or does it ring mutiple times (ring every few seconds as you'd normally expect)?

Are there any other devices attached to this line? What sort of a line is it?

It may be good to have a look at the MMDDtw.txt trace capturing VG startup and an incoming call (see VG's \log\ subdirectory). It will give us info on what is happening on a lower control level.

Admin. Said:

When you attach a telephone to this line does the phone also only ring once, or does it ring mutiple times (ring every few seconds as you'd normally expect)?

Yes, I attached a standard phone and it rings and rings and rings just as expected.

Are there any other devices attached to this line? What sort of a line is it?

I don't completely understand the question. There are no other devices connected to that line after it leaves the wall jack. I'm not sure what you mean by "type of line". We had a dialogic system connected to this line prior to upgrading to a new computer and a new Dialogic D/4PCI. That old system worked.

It may be good to have a look at the MMDDtw.txt trace capturing VG startup and an incoming call (see VG's \log\ subdirectory). It will give us info on what is happening on a lower control level.

I've attached the file you requested.

Is there some other way I can test the Dialogic Board? I've tried all the sample programs that came with the Dialogic Software and they all answer on the first ring and as far as I can see there is no way to adjust the rings to answer.

I ran the Universal Dialogic Diagnostics program using all the tests and there were "No Errors Found".

I've tried to find the driver information for the Dialogic card but it doesn't show any driver details in the Windows Device Manager. How can I tell what drivers the Dialogic Board is using?

Our phone system is an NEC ESF-SB-10 KSU.

Do you have any idea what the PBX Command strings for my NEC ESF-SB-10?

voice_Guide_Log_0119tw.zip

I've finally got VG to answer the way it should.

How did I do it? I'm not exactly sure.

I uninstalled everything. Reinstalled my Dialogic software. Installed a different program to see if it would work. It did.

I installed version 5 of VG and it worked.

I updated to the dialogic version and it didn't work.

I tried several things and then I took some of the older OCX files that I had from when I first downloaded VG and overwrote the existing files in the windows system32 directory. I then loaded these files using the command prompt.

It worked.

Then I started installing the new OCX files one at a time. Nothing changed. It still worked. For the life of me I can't figure out why it didn't work all the time.

Have the OCX files changed at all? Are they all the same no matter which version of VG you are running?

We've never had a problem where system would only report 1 ring with any of the versions of VG software, so the problem was more likely in the Dialogic drivers...

I thought I had this problem corrected but I noticed today that VG was not answering calls again.

I'm not sure when this started because it is mainly deployed to answer after hour calls.

I got VG to start answering again but I'm concerned that it will continue to fail in the future.

This is what I did to correct the problem. It is basically the same thing I did before. Or at least a part of what I did before. If you will look back I had came to the conclusion that only part of what I had done before actually had corrected my problem.

Anytime I say "would not answer" I actually mean that the ring count is not being incremented therefore VG doesn't answer because it is waiting for a certain number of rings.

I first tried running these commands again.

regsvr32 -u tapiwrap.ocx

regsvr32 ktTelControl.ocx

regsvr32 MsComm32.ocx

Restarted VG and still would not answer.

I took these three files ktTelControl.ocx, MsComm32.ocx and libexpat.dll from the most recent release version 6.0.2378 of Voice Guide for Dialogic upgrade and placed them in the Windows' \System32\ subdirectory. Of course I had to overwrite the existing files.

I then proceeded with the following;

Change to Windows' \System32\ subdirectory using command:

cd c:\Windows\System32

and run the following commands:

regsvr32 -u tapiwrap.ocx

regsvr32 ktTelControl.ocx

regsvr32 MsComm32.ocx

I restarted VG and it still would not answer. So I repeated the above process with three different files from an older version of VG for Dialogic. I can't tell which version it was but it was the first version I downloaded several weeks ago. They had the same file names and were exactly the same size. I overwrote the files just as I did above and then I ran the same above commands.

I restarted VG and It WORKED.

Is there an explaination for this? I was under the impression that the above three files were all the same regardless of the version of VG.

Have you made any changes to these files? Are they exactly the same? I've attached the files.

If they are the same then what could be going wrong?

Voice_Guide_Old_New_Files.zip

The ktTelControl.ocx is often changed from version to version. You can see the old and new versions in the .ZIP file you posted are different size.

Is there something in that file that could be causing my problem?

What does that file do?

What has changed from version to version?

Will I have problems using the older version?

I'm sure it was changed for a reason. Can you go into some detail as to what has changed?

If you can isolate and confirm that it's a particular ktTelcontrol.ocx that is causing this problem then please post the problem causing OCX here (.ZIPed)

We've taken the file ktTelcontrol.ocx from the .ZIP posted and when we tried it on one of our test systems here and it worked fine.

Attaching the trace produced by that OCX when answering a call after 3 rings.

Test system used D/41JCT, SR6.0 SU84, WinXP SP2

Which card, SR, and version Windows is on your system?

ourtrace.zip

I am using a New

Dell Dimension

P4 3.0 GHZ

1 GB Ram

Windows XP Home

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

I installed Dialogic's SR5.1.1 plus the SR5.1.1SP1.

Dialogic 4PCI

How do I confirm that the Dialogic information? How can I be sure both SR5.1.1 and SR5.1.1SP1 are installed and working properly?

When I go to my Device Manager and select the Dialogic card there is no driver listed for the device. Should there be a driver?

As I mentioned before I tried a different software with this setup and it counted the number of rings correctly.

More importantly I have my system working with the old ktTelControl.ocx. It counts the rings correctly. So there is no question in my mind that there is something about this new ktTelControl.ocx that prevents the counting of the number of rings.

You can see the Dialogic version info in the Configuration Manager that should have been installed when you installed the Dialogic drivers. Program Files -> Intel Dialogic System Software -> Configuration Manager (DCM). Then go to Help -> About and it shows the versions.

By the way, nice piece of troubleshooting work on this one! Thanks for the help.

Brian Barnett

Brian thank you for the tip.

I'm glad this temporary fix has worked for you. Hopefully we will have the ocx fixed soon. I'm intrested to know what the ocx does and what has changed and why but I'm not sure we'll ever get that info.

In a previous post I had requested a change log with dates that things were changed, added or deleted. We do have a change log but it is not complete and there are no dates. With no dates it is impossible to see how often the software is updated. I'm assuming the Dialogic version is relatively new. Maybe within the last 3-6 months. No way to know but that's just my guess.

Good luck with your installation.

Here is my Dialogic Information thanks to Brian.

Intel Dialogic Configeration Manager (DCM)

MS Windows 2000 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Intel Dialogic System Software:

Release SR5.1.1 Version DNA, Build 30, Service Pack 1

If you will provide the different versions of ktTelControl OCX to me I will try them out to see which ones work and which ones don't.

I think this is the current version that works for me.

ktTelControl OCX v2.3.0, Nov 15 2005 19:47:09 [For Dialogic]

How many versions have there been since the above version?

When I go to my Device Manager and select the Dialogic card there is no driver listed for the device. Should there be a driver?

There's no need to for the driver to be installed. You can ignore what the Device Manager is showing.

How many versions have there been since the above version?

one other - v2.3.1

I have a new twist on the Dialogic Not Answering Problem

Running identical telephony software on two different machines:

Dialogic System Release 5.1.1 FP 1 Update 125

VoiceGuide for Dialogic 6.0.0.3201

Dialogic 4/PCI cards in both systems.

Running same VG Script on both systems.

System 1 - Works

Running Windows XP Version 5.1 SP2

System 2 - Does Not Work

Running Windows Server 2003 5.2 R2 SP1

It is clear from the log info that in the non-working system 2, the Dialogic card appears to ring once and then no more (although the system doesn't appear to pick up until the 3rd ringback tone). Therefore, if you have ringcount in config.xml set to 0 for the line, VoiceGuide will eventually answer the phone (on the 3rd ring) and run the script. Of course no caller id info is present in this case. If you set the ringcount to 2, it will no longer answer.

On the working system, if ring count is set to 0, system will answer on the first ring with no caller id.

If ring count is set to 2, system will answer just fine after 2 rings, with caller id info available.

I have attached level 10 logs of the working & non-working identical test script I wrote and ran on both machines.

Any feedback from your looking at the logs would be greatly appreciated.

1230sw_works.txt

1230tw_works.txt

1230vgm_works.txt

1230sw_works_not.txt

1230tw_works_not.txt

1230vgm_works_not.txt

My_Test_Script.vgs

The "tw" traces show that on the non-working system calls to set the channel parameters return "err=9, Device busy" error.

This is a problem as this means that all settings in ConfigLine.xml file are not being applied. Setting the parameters from ConfigLine.xml is essential for getting VG working properly.

On the working system we can see that the fist channel is also returning a similar error, but the other 3 channels accept the settings fine...

This is a bit strange and suggests that either VoiceGuide is started before the Dialogic service is fully started, or that there is some problem with the Dialogic drivers setup or the card itself.

Can you try restarting VG a few times on the working system and can you confirm that first channel on that card is always returning the error, whereas the other 3 are always fine?

Do all four channels on that system work fine, or do you see the first channel behave differently?

Can you try using the latest SR6.0 on the non-working system just to check if you still get the error with these latest drivers?

Yes, funny, the 1st channel is the only one hooked up to a phone line in both cases. Thus it is the only line where I have DialOut set to 1 rather than 0. Wonder if that has any impact?

The other 3 are not plugged into anything on either machine. However, the default setting on my board is to make the 4 lines busy (off hook) until a software application such as VG puts the lines on hook waiting for a call. Wonder if that has any impact?

Dialogic service definitely started way before VG so that can't be it.

Have restarted VG several times on the working system and this time, tw even showing busy errors on lines 1 & 2 while not on 3 & 4.

So that is something slightly different from last time. This time also, only hooked up to telephone line simulator rather than real phone line. That's why no caller id coming through this time. Application apparently still answering just fine on line 1 on working XP system.

I don't have SR6.0 and don't know where to get it. I wouldn't mind trying it on the working system to see if it can clear up some of these errors showing up and then try it also on the non-working system to see if it can make that one work at all.

This sure seems like a timing problem in some way since lines 1 & 2 fail but by the time we get to 3 & 4 we're okay.

I'm quite concerned that I will run into intermittent, pull out your hair type problems (under heavy load) using Dialogic & the VG system if these issues can't be resolved.

Thanks.

0101tw.txt

0101vgm.txt

If you are seeing intermittent/random "err=9, Device busy" type errors returned by Dialogic drivers in response to VoiceGuide's attempts to set the line/board parameters then I'd be suspecting the cards themselves.

We do not see any such problems on our test systems and you would be able to see from other "tw" traces posted by other users that such problems do not exist on their systems.

Latest "SR6.0 PCI" Service Update can be obtained from http://resource.intel.com/telecom/support/...serviceUpdates/

Hey there my good mates from down under...

I know you get inundated with shit like this all the time so I thought I'd do you a favor and solve my version of the Dialogic not answering problem for all our sakes....

You were correct when you suspected it might be something with the board...but not what you thought...

In my previous post, I thought it was a timing problem. I said "This sure seems like a timing problem in some way since lines 1 & 2 fail but by the time we get to 3 & 4 we're okay."

In my latest post, lines 1 & 2 were okay but 3 & 4 failed. So it still seemed like a timing problem to me and not a hardware line problem because what worked before now didn't and what didn't work before now did.

In my previous post I also said, "However, the default setting on my board is to make the 4 lines busy (off hook) until a software application such as VG puts the lines on hook waiting for a call. Wonder if that has any impact?"

Well sure enough, if I go back to the Dialogic D/4PCI board and set SW4 OFF so that lines are on hook by default, ratther than off-hook (sw4 set to ON as I had both cards in the 2 separate machines set before) sure enough, that fixes everything and EVERYTHING WORKS FINE including on the 2nd Windows 2003 system which never worked before.

tw_1 is under the old SW4 set to ON...Notice I still get device busy errors but this time in different places. I even powered the computer down before running this test...

tw_2 is under the new SW4 set to OFF. Notice now no -9 device busy errors...everything comes back ok.

tw_3 is on the 2nd machine which I could never get to answer...It answered just fine and ran the test app just fine...SW4 on this machine also set OFF. It was also ON before when I got the -9 device busy errors.

So, the workaround for now is to set SW4 to OFF and this problem goes away. It is not the best solution however because it's desirable to be able to set SW4 to ON so that when I take down the VG system, all my lines will be automatically busied out...

Is it VG i.e. your kTelControl.OCX that is not giving the Dialogic board enough time to get to ON HOOK state during initialization when board starts out in OFF HOOK state so that the ConfigLine.XML commands can be properly issued or is this a Dialogic 5.1.1. driver problem?

Oh well, had to get this all off my chest...Hope this helps future customers with the same issue....

0102tw_1.txt

0102tw_2.txt

0102tw_3.txt

Very well spotted. It does look like setting the lines to go on-hook was sometimes interferring with following commands on this system.

Please update system with attached OCX (placing it in Windows' System32 directory).

This new version should let you set SW4 to ON and not see any "err=9, Device busy" type errors.

If you see problems please post tw traces as before.

ktTel_070103.zip

Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

If I download latest version of VoiceGuide for Dialogic (3243) will this fix be in there?

If not, do I need to somehow Register this new OCX or can I just replace the OCX file in the Windows\system32 folder?

(Not sure how this Windows ActiveX stuff works)

Thanks again.

If I download latest version of VoiceGuide for Dialogic (3243) will this fix be in there?
No. v.3243 was released before this fix. Future versions will have this fix however.

If not, do I need to somehow Register this new OCX or can I just replace the OCX file in the Windows\system32 folder?
Just replace the file in this case.