VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Where Did I Go Wrong?

Here are some symptoms. Any idea where I went wrong?

I had an older version of VG that worked fine except that there were some problems with transferring a call. I understood that to be addressed in a later version (5.?.?). I had scripts to provide outgoing messages and some that also requested name/addr info so that I could mail requested copies.

I use WINXP with the Dialogic D/41EPCI card (but I only use 1 line).

I only got around to updating to 5.2.5003 because I had Windows problems that required a rebuild of my C drive. I took advantage of this pain to update my VG software. I also applied the Dialogic patch 6.0.2275.

Here's my symptoms:

I am unable to get the Play module to play a string of wav files (e.g., outgo2a, outgo2b, outgo2c). It will find and play only if there is only one file listed. When I list additional files, I get a Not Found error. My orginial setup looked like the example just given in the sense that only the file names were separated by comma/space. I also tried the format shown in the Help file as voicedlgc\outgo2a, voicedlgc\outgo2b... where the folder name is also given. Still get the same error.

Next proglem: When I send the caller to a VoiceMail box, I used instructions that said Press 1 when you are ready to record and press 0 when you are finished recording. I would then play another message and send them to a VoiceMail box with the same instructions. My problem now is that, when the caller presses 0, the call is terminated.

My frame of mind is that my expectations of what to expect after upgrading my VG release and using the Dialogic patch is out of whack. This is as opposed to thinking that I need to provide a trace of the specific errors I am experiencing. Part of the reason for this frame of mind is the response to my previous post about the -icon command line option not working and being told that it is not supported in my current release. It seems so strange to lose features when updating releases that perhaps these other problems I am having are rooted in the same 'upgrade' process I took.

Sorry this is so lengthy... Thanks in advance for any direction.

Rob G.

I am unable to get the Play module to play a string of wav files (e.g., outgo2a, outgo2b, outgo2c). It will find and play only if there is only one file listed. When I list additional files, I get a Not Found error.

Playing of multiple sound files should work. Could you please post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what happened.

Next proglem: When I send the caller to a VoiceMail box, I used instructions that said Press 1 when you are ready to record and press 0 when you are finished recording. I would then play another message and send them to a VoiceMail box with the same instructions. My problem now is that, when the caller presses 0, the call is terminated.

'0' returns from the voicemail system - do you have the return path pointing to a valid module in your script?

Best to post a script demonstrating the problem and the trace capturing the problem occurring on your system.

Thanks for the response. It let me know what track to be on and that I really do need to take the time to chase down the individual issues. My suspicions were a little off base is all.

I looked at an Event Trace before leaving work and noticed that the first sound file is found in the voicedlgc folder, but the system looks in the voice folder for the remaining sound files (hence the "not found"). Should I replace the files in the voice folder with those I currently have in the voicedlgc folder? Or should I take some other approach to change the default location to be the voicedlgc folder?

Right now I am assuming I have a similar problem with the VoiceMail Box return path. I really don't remember what I did a few years back to set up my files, but I know the modules still exist. When I get back to work, I will test this part again after I "fix" the above problem.

By the way, in some of the postings I have seen the expression "enable the automatic saving of the logs to files in \log\ directory". How is that done? (I thought the logging happened automatically).

And I have also noticed that I do not need to turn on the Event Logging screen before the call starts - I can wait until I get to that part of the call that I am interested in seeing - Is this new/different?. By the way, I like being able to add my own text notes in the middle of logging of the events (e.g., now pressing 0... ). You probably wouldn't find that feature very useful but it's great for those of us that only look a trace 3 times every 2 years.

Where can I find a description of the "levels" of Event Tracing? I am not at work so I can't be precise, but I recall there is a dropdown number selection field on the lower left corner of the Event Trace screen. I think it is for Trace level sensitivity - and that is what I would like to read more about.

Thanks so much for your help. Enjoy the Christmas afterglow... and Happy New Year!

I looked at an Event Trace before leaving work and noticed that the first sound file is found in the voicedlgc folder, but the system looks in the voice folder for the remaining sound files (hence the "not found").

"voicedlgc" folder?

I think it's be best for you to post a scrip demonstrating the problem along with the trace capturing the call.

Set the trace level to 9 when capturing the traces.

OK. I moved all my sound file to the \voice\ folder (from my old voicedlgc folder).

Attached is the script. When I open the script in the VoiceGuide script editor and Open Option#2 (ConsumerInfo); I get a "Not Found" error when I try to Play the sound files. When I execute the script from a telephone, it works fine. I do not know how to capture a log for this error in the script editor.

I still have a problem with the VoiceMailBox routine, but "1 problem at a time" seems like a good idea to my slow little mind...

Happy New Year!!

CCGIntro.vgs

If you are specifying multiple sound filenames separated by commas then the 'Quick Play' and 'Quick Record' buttons will not work.

OK, then I won't push those buttons anymore! Thank you.

Attached is the trace data for the 2nd problem I described earlier regarding using the Voicemail system to record Name/Address information from the caller in a Voicemail Box:

Same script as sent earlier. When I go to Option 3 (FreeHUD), pressing zero (0) after leaving a message should take the caller to the Name/Addr Verify_01 module. Here is the path definition in Option 3 (FreeHUD).

on {1} goto [Voicemail Box 0001] return [Name/Addr Verify_01]

But what happens is that the call is terminated instead. As with the other "issues", this used to work but I messed up the upgrade somewhere along the way...

Thanks again for your help.

Rob G.

Option3VMBoxErr.txt

You should change that path to be:

on {1} gosub [Voicemail Box 0001] return [Name/Addr Verify_01]

The return option is only used if you do a gosub

I made the change to "gosub" and retested... still fails.

When I look at the trace, I see:

[scriptEnd_Goto_Script]{C:\Program Files\VoiceGuide\system\vm\VmLm.vgp}

[scriptEnd_Goto_Module]{VmLmStart}

Is this correct? I do not have a VmLmStart module that I can find. I admit I am not trained to read your trace data so I am just taking stabs in the dark. I would have expected to find my [Name/Addr Verify_01] module somewhere, but I do not. (And a likely "somewhere" seems to me to be [scriptEnd_Goto_Module].

I am uploading my latest trace for you to look at. Thanks again for your help.

Rob G.

p.s.

The return option used to work for me with the "goto". Are all these things that "used to work" but don't anymore, related to the Dialogic-specfic patch, or are they changes to the base VoiceGuide release?

I am now getting confused about just what software I have here. The manual says the Enterprise and Evaluation versions can call subscripts - I thought I had the Professional version! How can I tell which I have here? Thanks again.

Rob G.

Option3Err.txt

I just checked the "Help/About VoiceGuide" and it confirms that I have Version 6.0.2275 Professional, VG Dialer, Single line.

But what I am seeing in the trace and reading in the manual makes me wonder if the underlying software is in sync with this.

Rob G.

The trace supplied starts while system is already in Voicemail. Please post trace capturing entire call.

You may want to unregister your copy of VG (rename USERINFO.INI file and restart VG) to see if this return from voicemail works while software is in Evaluation mode.

Professional version cannot call subscripts, but it can branch to voicemail - although I don't think that it would be then able to return from it as that is 'subscript' type function.

Admin said:

You should change that path to be:

The return option is only used if you do a gosub

Help File Says:

Returning from the Voicemail system

If you would like the caller to go to a certain module after returning from the Voicemail system then you can specify a return module. The Path definition needs to be:

On {Trigger} Goto [Voicemail System Module] Return [Module Title]

I'm confused. Does the "Return" path work with the "GoTo" command? If not, why does the help file indicate that it does? I've been trying the "goto [VoiceMail] Return [ModuleName]" But it hasn't worked. I get the stack error in the trace log.

What is the difference between "GoTo" and "GoSub"?

It was asked earlier but never answered so I'll ask it again. What are the different levels in the "Trace Log"?

Lets say that my script is C:\scripts\myscript.vgs

I have two modules.

1. PlayWelcome

2. MainMenu

What will each of these statements do?

1. on {1} goto [c:\scripts\myscript.vgs|PlayWelcome]

2. on {1} goto [|PlayWelcome]

3. on {1} gosub [c:\scripts\myscript.vgs|PlayWelcome]

4. on {1} gosub [|PlayWelcome]

5. on {1} goto [PlayWelcome]

6. on {1} gosub [PlayWelcome]

I think each of these statements will move to the "PlayWelcome" Module in the current script. Current script being "c:\scripts\myscript.vgs".

From the help file I am assuming that 1,2,3 & 4 above would not have any lines drawn to indicate the path. Where 5 & 6 would show the lines. The reason the lines are not show in 1,2,3 & 4 is because they contain the "|" character.

I know I've got alot of question. I hope you can address each on. Thanks.

I'm confused. Does the "Return" path work with the "GoTo" command?

No, it only makes sense to use it with Gosub. Looks like that entry in the Help file will need to be updated.

What are the different levels in the "Trace Log"?

Higher trace levels provide more debugging info...

I think each of these statements will move to the "PlayWelcome" Module in the current script.

Yes, they should.

From the help file I am assuming that 1,2,3 & 4 above would not have any lines drawn to indicate the path. Where 5 & 6 would show the lines. The reason the lines are not show in 1,2,3 & 4 is because they contain the "|" character.

Pretty sure that's right.

Admin. Said:

No, it only makes sense to use it with Gosub. Looks like that entry in the Help file will need to be updated.

I've tried both "goto" and "gosub" with my very simple script and neither will return from the voicemail module.

I've even tried removing spaces from my return path module thinking that maybe the problem. Nothing seems to work.

The script I have attached currently has the "gosub"/"return" commands and the return module has spaces in the name.

I've also included a trace log set at level 5. I attempted to make 2 seperate calls both were routed to voicemail via the "VM Menu Choices" module by pressing 1 which would take me to voicemail box 0001. The first call I allowed to timeout in the mailbox and was immediately disconnected. The second call I ended the call by pressing "0" in the voicemail box and was immediately disconnected. Neither call would return me to the point indicated in the main script/module.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it must be something simple.

Admin,

I know for a FACT that my script ran for about 2 years using "Goto" with the "Return" feature. The script ran fine, playing messages and collecting voice messages in the Voicemail boxes. Again, this is the Professional version, not the Enterprise.

The script was written following the procedure documented in the Help file which showed using the Goto and Return features together. It worked. Now I read that you are saying it should not work and the documentation is wrong.

Could it be that you are mistaken on this point? Harry Roberts and I are trying to troubleshoot our installations, software, scripts,. and etc. From our limited knowledge our problems can be any darn thing. Please help us by explaining the contradiction of the Facts stated here.

Thank you.

Rob G.

Admin,

First, this is a little awkward with 2 different situations being addressed in 1 post. Perhaps you could create a separate post for Harry Roberts and his traces? Or not, up to you...

Anyway, here is the best I could do for the trace you requested earlier. I started (opened) the Event Trace Log before I made my test call. I typed into the Event Trace Log window a Title for the trace. Then I made the call and went through the prompts to reproduce the error. Trace level 9.

However, when I look at the Trace Log, I do not see the beginning of the call. Please advise me on what I need to do to capture the entire call from the beginning.

The trace is attached.

Option3Err_fromBegin.txt

I have done some more testing. It seems that Pressing 0 to terminate the recording into a Voicemail box not only erroneously terminates the call, but it also wipes out the first part of the Event Log!!

So, Admin, here is a trace in which I do not press 0, but let VG timeout because I did not speak/record. I hope this has the data you are looking for at the beginning of the log.

Thanks again.

Opt3_fromBeg.txt

Can you try unregistering your copy of VG (by renaming USERINFO.INI file) and see if this lets you then use the 'return' path option.

Admin. Said

Can you try unregistering your copy of VG (by renaming USERINFO.INI file) and see if this lets you then use the 'return' path option.

What if I am not registered yet? I'm just testing the software.

I wish you would clearly state the difference between the "GoTo" and "GoSub" statements.

Harry, this instruction is intended for me.

While everyone is invited to contribute to a post, I guess it gets awkward when a second "trouble" is added to the same post. Often the admin folks will separate the second problem to its own post to make it less confusing for themselves and for us. No big deal. I know our issues are very similar, but it can still be confusing.

It looks like Admin will not answer any more questions until I do what they are requesting. This one-question/comment-a-day process is such a crock. I hate the time difference. Maybe I should put the kids to bed ealy and drive out to the office just to get one extra test/interaction today (oops, too late - maybe next week)!

Hey! There's a good reason to have separate posts: We can get 2 answers a day with 2 posts!! Cool!! I'll track your post and you can track mine! What fun! I must be too tired - I'm getting silly (and that's being polite).

My God, how this just drags on and on and on... and it just shows me how stupid I must be. I mean, Why would I care if an Unregistered VG works? Mine is registered. Besides, yours is unregistered and yours doesn't work either...

Aaarrggghhh. It is definitely too late for me... perhaps this sinking feeling is just me falling asleep...

Admin, I'll run your test tomorrow. Let's see, that will be at the end of your Friday... weekend started... then it'll be my weekend... maybe next week we will get back to our one-a-day interaction.

Sorry to interrupt RobG, but I suspect that the reason that VG Support are asking you to try the software after unregistering is to determine whether the GoSub & Return commands work in the Enterprise/Evaluation mode of VG, and not within Professional.

That way, you'll see whether what isn't working for you is a feature that your licence doesn't offer, or a genuine fault within your system or VG.

At least that's the way it looks to me... many apologies if I'm wrong...

I'll be happy to start a new Topic but I think our problems are the same.

Just as little more help for you. I am running the trial version which has all the features enabled. If our problems are the same I don't think putting your software in the trial mode will help.

I agree that Admin. has not been very responsive. Is this typical?

New topic will be called Gosub/Return Doesn't Work.

This is a continuation of this topic: Where Did I Go Wrong?

Problem: The "return" command associated with the "gosub" command doesn't work when "gosub" directs program to go to voice mail.

Admin. has stated that the manual or Help file incorrectly shows how to transfer from your script to the voice mail script and return.

The Help file shows using the "GoTo" command and Admin. has clearly indicated that the "GoTo" command will not support the "Return" command.

I have verified this for my self running VG version 6.0.2322 Working Trial Version.

Why would I ever want to use the "GoTo" command when it appears that the "GoSub" command does the same thing and more. When by more I mean that it supports the "Return" command.

Back to the problem of the voice mail script not returning to the locations indicated by the calling scripts return command. I have attached my very simple script and also included a Trace Log.

VG_Trace___Script_2006_01_05.zip

Harry,

The problems could very well be the same, but out setups are different. What the admin might ask me to do could very well be different from what you would be asked to do. For example, the request to rename the userinfo file does not make sense for you, but it does (apparently) for me.

In addition, when admin asks me for a trace, he/she has my problem and my setup in mind. For him/her to see your trace might mislead him/her in troubleshooting my setup (which is different from your setup).

I apologize if this is coming across badly. My intentions are only positive but I need to point out that your apparent attempt to create a new post only added to the existing post. You will not be able to add a new post using the reply button from within this post; you need to go back out to the General level and click on New Topic. At least it looks to me like this is the situation.

Jeepers it's tough to communicate with just text... Harry, I want very much for the folks on this forum to help you with your situation and your evaluation of the VG product. I feel you are not being given the attention you deserve because you do not have a post devoted to your specific situation. I hope that you can appreciate the idea that similar symptoms may be caused by different reasons so the "black box approach of try this then try that" is really only effective when focused on one setup at a time. I believe you will get better "try this then try that" directions from this forum if it is in its own post.

Buzby - your "interruption" is appreciated. Many heads are better than one.

Rob G.

Oopps, I forgot to Log-in.

Harry - you're way ahead of me.... Looks like a good post now! Feel free to ignore my prior post as "Guest".

Good Luck!

Rob it's already taken care of, please see GoSub/Return Doesn't Work With VM

Sorry to have accidentally posted a reply to your topic instead of creating a new topic. As soon as I became aware of the fact I corrected it.

I too hope you get your problem corrected.

I'm starting to have my concerns about the level of support I might receive for this product. My simple file that I have been testing is nothing close to what I want to do with the system if I can be assured it will work as advertised.

I've been trying to get this to work for at least 4 days now. I've read every post to this forum and did as much research as possible on my own.

I think there is a problem in the operation of the voice mail module. We both have the same scripts. Yours are protected so you can't change them because of the version that you bought. Mine are unprotected because I am running the trial version of the software. It is my understanding they are one and the same unless I actually change something in the scripts.

I feel I have used such a simple script using the "GoSub" and "Return" commands to call and return from the voice mail module that the problem has to be in the voice mail script that I am running. I believe you are running the same voice mail script with the exception of your being protected.

The "Return" path works for me when I go from one script to another so I know that the return function is working on my system. It just does not work when it is used with the Voice Mail.

I think if you try your system you will find the same is true.

I've taken up way too much space in your topic so I'll try to stay in my own topic for awhile.

Good luck with your problem.

Admin,

I renamed userinfo.ini and restarted VG.

I opened the Event Trace Log and called into the system.

I pressed 3 to go to the FreeHUD menu. I pressed 1 to begin recording. I pressed 0 to finish recording.

The path is defined as:

You can see I used "gosub"

Results: The same??

I have not analyzed the trace data in detail yet. I can say that the Return path was not taken (the call was terminated instead). Pressing 0 also wiped out the first part of the trace data (as was being done before). I am attaching this trace data for your review. I will also run another test in which I will not press 0, in order to preserve the beginning of the trace data.

Rob G.

Opt3_no_userinfo_press0.txt

Admin,

Here is the trace created in the same way as the above trace except that I let the Voicemail recorder timeout due to silence instead of me pressing 0. Again, this is the only way I have found to get you the beginning of the trace data.

I have looked them over enough to see that .vgs is being used in some places now instead of .vgp. I assume this means that the Voicemail script (.vgs) is being used instead of the Voicemail program (.vgp) that would be used in the Professional version. This should confirm that userinfo.ini was renamed to force VG to run in Evaluation mode.

I eagerly await your insight on this data.

Rob G.

Opt3_no_userinfo_no_press0.txt

I see that Admin has responded to several other post but has not given much consideration to this problem.

Here is a work around for your problem that I think will work.

HLR_CCGIntro.vgs

Admin,

gosub is supported by the Enterprise version, not the Professional version. I use "goto" in my script.

I purchased the Professional version in Feb of 2003 based on:

1. Your documentation showing Return supported by "goto".

2. My tests showing Return with goto working correctly in the Evaluation version.

3. My final scripts working using Return with goto as per your documentation in the licensed Professional version.

It is very unprofessional to now tell me, after I have paid for an updated Professional version of VG, that you removed functionality that used to exist in the software such that I must now purchase the Enterprise version of VG AND change all my scripts just to be at the Functional level I was at 2 years ago.

The fact that I was only upgrading to pick up fixes to the malfunctioning Call Transfer code, that should have been working in my originally paid-for version of VG, just makes this situation more ludicrous.

Please post a stable fix to the current version of VG that puts back the functionality, originally present and documented, of a call to a Voicemail box using "goto" with the "Return" functionality.

It this is too difficult for technical reasons, then please provide me with an older release of VG that provides the Return with goto functionality AND fixes to the Call Transfer feature. (And refund my fees paid for this "Upgrade" that I cannot use because of it limited functionality.)

Thank you.

Rob G.

The documentation does show Goto being used in the voicemail examples.

Looks like the 'Return' option for voicemail will be re-enabled based on that.

Should have a new version which does this available in a day or so.

I was advised that the new .exe posted in http://voiceguide.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3564 already supports GOTO ... RETURN syntax if a Goto Voicemail is involved.

Tested this and confirmed it worked fine.

Used these Paths in the start.vgs' [start Here] module:

on {41} goto [Voicemail Box 0001] return [Return Here]

on {42} goto [Voicemail Box 0001] return [start.vgs|Return Here]

on {43} goto [Voicemail Box 0001] return [NewDestination.vgs|New Start]

Thank you. I have downloaded the VG release referred to and ran some tests.

First I restored my Userid file and reregistered VG. I am back to running as a Single line Professional with Outgoing Dialer.

My first test gave the same results as Harry Roberts' test: Same Continuous error messages he reported. I renamed the file identified by Admin/Support as the cause of the errors and retested.

The Return worked perfectly well in the sense that, after pressing 0, the s/w moved on to the "return module" and continued with the script.

I did not get the ongoing logging that Harry Roberts reported.

However, pressing 0 still results in the front end of the Event trace data being deleted from the Event trace log. I will start a new post for that problem. It is not critical for my current situation and this post ends happily.

Thanks again for your support. Someone once said to me that Good software speaks very well of the software, but it's the Support that represents the company behind the software. I think that guy might have wanted more funding for his support group, but I also think he had valid perspective.

I consider this post closed.

Thanks again and Enjoy!

Rob G.