VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Precanned Voice Mail System ....

While I appreciate the fact that you have included a set of VoiceMail scripts (albeit they are pre-compiled) I would REALLY appreciate it if you would make the scripts available so we folks can use them as a base for modification and customization to our own tastes and requirments. The system has several warts and pimples as well as annoyances. I hate to have to take the time to report each of them so you can "fix" them. As far as the intellecutual value of this piece of work, in my opinion, it is a non-starter if you wanted to charge $$ extra for it in its current form and am reluctant to suggest changes only to receive a compromise solution.

The process would be a bit easier with additional documentation. The UG is woefully sparse in many areas. For example, is there a definition of all the paramtetes that can be specified in VG.INI? I have stumbled upon a few, but do think I should have to do that.

BUT PLEASE either fix it so the VM system returns to a script that was running or telling me how to force a 0 so it does, or provide a check box option. Most desirable would be to provide:

"Upon Termination of VoiceMail:"

___ Return to Where I was

___ Branch to: ______________________

___ Hangup after playing this file: ________________________________

___ Hangup

As always, I am very appreciative of any and all suggestions and responses..

... peace .... abe

Regarding returning from Voicemail system, I take it that this option allows you to implement all scenarios listed:

From VoiceGuide Help file (Scripting & Routing -> Paths section):

Returning from the Voicemail system

If you would like the caller to go to a certain module after returning from the Voicemail system then you can specify a return module. The Path definition needs to be:

On {Trigger} Goto [Voicemail System Module] Return [Module Title]

As always, thanks for the reply .....

This was the FIRST thing I tried a month ago and after screwing around for a while decided I was doing something wrong and eMailed Support. I was told it only returns if a "0" is entered, which of course cannot be guaranteed that the caller does that. In fact most callers just hang up.

Am I to assume a change or fix has been made to 4.9.0 to correct the return to script?

When I asked this same question in an earlier exchange of eMails when first getting started I was told that the return is honored ONLY if a "0" is entered. Snippets follow..... What's the straight scoop?

... thanks ... abe

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:support@katalinatech.com]

Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 8:11 PM

> I have had no luck in making "Return" work .... I included

> the script and the log file. Any hints welcomed... thanks

> ... abe

>

>

> Following is extracted from the script .. full script

> attached .

> Return is at or around line 72

>

> [Xfer2MB2]

> Type=Play

> DispSize=69

> Txt=Play a sound file, then await a response...

> PlayFile1=C:\Program

> Files\VoiceGuide\data\VmWelc\TSS_Msg.WAV

> Replay=0,0

> strTtsText=

> On {Timeout 0} Goto [Voicemail Box 02] Return [eMail_MB2]

> <<< Does not Return ...

> On {*} Goto [Voicemail Retrieve]

> On {#} Goto [Hangup]

> Position=67,230

>

It will only return if "0" is pressed by caller at end of

recording the

voicemail message.

Regards,

Jenny

Software Support

www.katalinatech.com

The "return from voicemail" path is only taken when "0" is pressed.

If you would like something to execute every time a call finishes you can place it in the "Run After Hangup" script - which is executed when a call terminates.

I am researching an article for a major business publication on how institutional Voice Mail systems can be made more responsive to callers external to the organization, and unfamiliar with the details of its system.

I am particularly interested in looking at Voice Mail productivity in major medical centers. How can time "wasted" in an unproductive VM loop be reduced? How can systems be made more user-friendly to those who must program them? How can productivity be improved, frustration and annoyance reduced? Is enough attention being paid to how VM scripts are actually written or pre-recorded (or both)? Is ease of use designed into the system--for both caller and system programmer? Specifically, are user options clear and logical, can scripts be easily modified, rewritten by non-writers, etc. Can logic loops be conveniently redesigned after the fact, when needs change?

My research so far indicates that ordinary users, although impressed with the technology, wonder why Voice Mail system so often seem clunky, "illogical," unresponsivel. They are mystified that such a powerful technology runs into trouble when the human element is reintroduced--i.e. at the interface point, where human input begins to define the tool. Administrators defend poorly designed systems by citing the high cost of human operators, as if it were the only alternative. What about improving the design and performance of those systems? I am looking for constructive ideas from within the VM industry (or corporate/institutional user community) for exactly how, in detail, Voice Mail could enter a new era--a Phase Two, as it were.

If anyone has thoughts on these matters, I would appreciate it if you contacted me. Please use my personal email: wmhenderson@nc.rr.com

All communications will be private and confidential.

Thank you,

Bill Henderson

VoiceGuide's scripted voicemail system allows for the voicemail system to be easily modified to suit the users' needs - and we are finding that a significant portion of customers who install VoiceGuide voicemail system are tailoring them to suit their own needs - be it by changing the order of information played or by automatically putting the caller into the 'hear new messages' mode etc.

The requirements for an 'ideal voicemail system' differ greatly from user to user and hence the current demand for voicemail systems which give full control over how the system can function to the user.

(Scritped Voicemail is available in VoiceGuide v5.0 onwards)