VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Problems On Windows 98se

Hi,

I have been running on Windows 2000, but had to move to an older (slower) Windows 98SE machine (an old Toshiba laptop).

The VG script program that I have basically does 4 Sound Records (i.e., to create 4 WAV files), and each Sound Record has an "On Timeout 5" (i.e., records 5 seconds).

When I first tried to run this same VGS on the Win98SE machine, it would record maybe the 1st sound, then it would timeout/hangup.

I modified VG.INI, changing the SilenceDetectLevel to 0, and that seems to let the VGS do all 4 Sound Records.

When I ran this VGS on Win2K, all the 4 .WAV files always were the same size. However, I noticed that now, on Win98SE, the 4 .WAV files that VG creates are all different sizes.

Can you tell me why this is happening? Is it because the Win98SE machine is slower? What can I do to get the .WAVs all the same size when I run on Win98SE?

Thanks,

Jim

how much do the sizes differ by?

Could you please send post a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the recording on Win98, this will allow us to see what is going on.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

SupportTeam,

You may not believe this, but enabling the trace seems to fix this problem! Or, at least that's what it looks like to me. This morning, when I run VG with the trace on, everything seems to be working (albeit slower).

I want to do some more testing, and will post back after that.

Jim

SupportTeam,

This is definitely very weird. I've done more testing, and on this machine, it appears that I am getting the problem when the trace is NOT running.

Are there some kind of timing loops or something like that in VG that would cause it to behave differently on machines of different speeds (the laptop is I think a 233 Mhz Pentium, running Win98SE)?

Like I said, in the Record Sound module, I have an "On Timeout 5", and on one of my other machines, a 450 PIII running Win2K, the WAV files that Record Sound creates are all exactly the same size. On this laptop, the file sizes vary (recall that I've set SilenceDetectLevel to 0 on the laptop - if I don't do this, VG keeps hanging up after 1, 2, or 3 Record Sounds).

Jim

The tracing only enables you to see the messages - they are still generated in the same way internally when the trace window is not shown - they are just not displayed...

If you want you can try adding the following lines to your VG.INI file;

[TraceLog]

LogDebugToFile=1

This will force VoiceGuide to log all trace to the TraceLog file all the time regardless of whether the Trace window is displayed or not...