VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Problems With Winfax

Hello!

I am trying to send faxes through WinFax PRO 10.03 and it only works when I send a .txt file. If I try with a word document then WinfFax pops up the following message:

"WinFax cannot send the binary file C:\myfile.doc as a WinFax image because the program needed to print this file cannot be found." I know that my modem is a Class 1 and that it supports BTF.

I wonder if you can help me with this problem.

Another question is that it is difficult to understand what every method does when trying to send faxes, since all the code I have it is just code that I´ve found on the Internet. I wonder if you know where I can find a description for all the methods (APIs) when sending faxes. I´ve been looking at symantec but without any luck.

Thank you for your help!

Jose

"because the program needed to print this file cannot be found"
Do you have MS Word installed on this machine?

Hello!

Do you have MS Word installed on this machine?

No, I didn´t. Now it works. The problem now is the communication between my modem and a fax machine that I am testing with.

I can see in the Message Manager my word file that WinFax is tring to fax. I hear the modem ringing and it rings also in my fax machine. Then in the windows that pops up when sending faxes (Symantec Message Line Status) it says connecting, negotiating,then it changes to training ... and here I can see that the speed goes from 14400 to 2400 bps. Then the fax machine starts beeping and in its display says connection closed.

I don´t think the problem is the word file since I can fax it if I do drop the file on the WinFax icon. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jose

the windows that pops up when sending faxes (Symantec Message Line Status) it says connecting, negotiating,then it changes to training ... and here I can see that the speed goes from 14400 to 2400 bps. Then the fax machine starts beeping and in its display says connection closed.

Not too sure what could be causing this... is seems like a communications problem and it's hard to say how the loading of the file to be sent is affecting the data layer communications...

Hello!

Not too sure what could be causing this...

Anything would be appreciated.

Would it work better if I change to a modem Class 2 ?

Thank you!

Jose

Hello!

I just changed the fax machine to another one and it worked. So this is good and not, how do I know what kind of fax machine the receiver is using? The question is what can I do so that every fax machine understand the file that I will send them?

The file that I fax is just a word document with a cover page from WinFax and some text inside. I mean, what is the simple format or standard that most of the machines understand.

Thank you!

Jose

How the fax is sent is totally separate with what document is loaded to be sent. For problems such as the ones you had you should have a look at your modem...

Hello!

Not too sure what could be causing this... is seems like a communications problem and it's hard to say how the loading of the file to be sent is affecting the data layer communications...

What kind of communications problem do you mean? Between which parts? Voiceguide and WindFax, or between WinFax and my modem, ... I don´t understand why it works when I drop the file into the WinFax drop icon, but it doesn´t work from voiceguide.

Is there anything I can change in my code/configuration to make work with both machines? I´ve been reading about the configuration in Symantec and the only thing they recommend is to enable the ECM (Error Connecting Mode) in the Program setup. The communication part is handled by the modem, so I don´t think the problem is here.

Thank you for your help!

Jose

What kind of communications problem do you mean? Between which parts? Voiceguide and WindFax, or between WinFax and my modem,
Between WinFax and my modem.

Once WinFax starts dialing out it means that it has accepted the document to be sent.

Any communications related questions should really be directed to Symantec, they would know better what is happening within the WinFax software...