VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Anybody Know What Uks Bt Calls Dnis?

Hi - can anybody tell me the UK term for DNIS? I gather DNIS is the term used in N.America, but not here in UK.

Of particular and primary interest is how ISDN BRI (ISDN2e) delivers DNIS to dialogic cards. What I want to know is how DNIS (Dialled Number Identification Service) ties in with DDI (Direct Dialling Inward) numbers.

I have tried calling the (generally useless) BT ISDN helpdesk several times to see about upgrading my lines to ISDN and they don't seem to have the faintest idea about any of the questions I have asked.

They just waffle on about CLIP (Calling Line Identity Presentation - the person calling me) and number presentation (giving your DDIs out). I am okay with CLIP and Number Presentation and CLIR (Calling Line Identity Restriction - hiding your outbound call id). But they cant tell me anything about getting the DIALLED number delivered via ISDN. They just say that it depends on my switch, which clearly it doesn't, since the switch has to react to DDI info, it MUST be delivered over the line to the switch.

I want to know how I make sure that DNIS is delivered if I order ISDN and if it will work with dialogic cards (BRI or PRI). Is it so "fundamental" to the interface that I am guaranteed to get it?

PLease help - dazed and confused and wondering why do I pay all this money to BT for crap support !

Thx - Tim

(end of rant)

What I want to know is how DNIS (Dialled Number Identification Service) ties in with DDI (Direct Dialling Inward) numbers.

DDI and DNIS is pretty much the same number. The DDI to which call is directed may be different from the actual number dialed only if the phone company has setup special translations or routes within the phone network itself - not something usually done unless you are an organization with multiple offices and call centers etc.

Is it so "fundamental" to the interface that I am guaranteed to get it?

DDI/DNIS is always available on PRI (T1 or E1) ISDN lines. You may need to ask for it to be enabled at the switch, but it's always possible.

Also in general PRI has more options and is much better supported then BRI.