VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Control Of Greeting Messages

I would like to find out if I can do this with Voice Guide and if you can give me any pointers on how to accomplish it.

I need to create a voice mail application that allows the users of mail boxes to be able to control the dates, day of week and the time a greeting will be used. This is for a talking yellow pages type application for tourism related businesses so that they can record various advertisements/greetings and then schedule those greetings for specific days of the week and/or times. For instance, they have a show or special deal on Thursday, they'd be able to record a greeting that would promote that event to people calling before the event on Thursday, rather than making the caller listen to a stock message of what was happening all week. I imagine this information will be stored in a database which the application will have to check before playing each greeting. There will be a default greeting if nothing else is scheduled for that time.

This can be done many different ways.

Easiest is to have entries in the database which specify the start time and stop time of each message, along with the message filename.

The VoiceGuide script would then do a simple database search with SQL query basically asking the Database to return the filename which has 'start time' set to be less then current time and 'stop time' set to a value higher then current time.

If a filename is returned then VG plays that sound file, and if no filename is returned then a default message is played.

If you want to incorporate this feature into the existing voicemail system then you would need to edit the voicemail scripts in VG's \system\vm\ subdirectory.

Remote adding of scheduled messages is also straightforward, with callers recording a message and then entering start/stop times. All the info would then be loaded into the database.