VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Outbound Dialer

How can I add a specific extension to the dialed telephone number in an outbound call generated with OutDial_New.xml?

You want to call a main number, and then have call transferred to a particular extension?

How would you do that if calling yourself? Just wait say 10 seconds after dialing the main number and then dial the extension?

Thanks to support team for the insightful answer.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question.

I have looked at your crystal clear documentation and do not see how to accomplish what you suggest... Dial a phone number, wait 10 seconds , dial an extension and detect response (answer, machine, no answer). Do I create an <esclation> with another <OutdialEntry><PhoneNumber> ? How do I insert the wait here?

Actually, it would make sense to simply dial and in the on answer script, send the dtmf tones for the desired extension.

Still, that leaves the issue of detecting the result of the call.

To dial a number then pause and dial another number you just need to insert a few commas between the first and second number, and that’s what you specify for VG to dial.

eg:

You may need to experiment with the number of commas needed.

After dialing the full number VG would then start listening for call answer.

That is all well and good except for the fact that vg detects a human answer when the company greeting is played by the pbx system. By the time the call is transferred to the desired extension, the vg script is in progress.

I see from other posts that answer machine vs. human detection is 95% accurate. That is not very comforting to the unlucky 5%.

Another issue ... "experiment with the number of commas needed" ??

Are you assuming that any number(facility) called would have a similar delay before an extension is accepted and processed? That seems unlikely. Do you suggest I "experiment" with every possible number that might be called ???

Any suggestions ?

That is all well and good except for the fact that vg detects a human answer when the company greeting is played by the pbx system. By the time the call is transferred to the desired extension, the vg script is in progress.

In that case the approach to take would be for the script itself to play the desired extension number.

You can use Result Variables to pass to the script the desired extension number which you would like it to dial.

Another issue ... "experiment with the number of commas needed" ??

Are you assuming that any number(facility) called would have a similar delay before an extension is accepted and processed? That seems unlikely. Do you suggest I "experiment" with every possible number that might be called ???

If you will be dialing different systems which have different delays then in order for what you want to do to work you would need to specify appropriate delays depending on what system you are dialing.

Looks like you would need to keep track of what system you are dialing and what delay is required by that system and then allow for that delay in your scripts and/or number dialed.

quoting your response . . .

In that case the approach to take would be for the script itself to play the desired extension number.

You can use Result Variables to pass to the script the desired extension number which you would like it to dial.

If you noticed my second post, I rejected this approach because of inability to detect human response or being sent to voice mail.

Any additional suggestions?

At this stage it is not possible for VoiceGuide to start the detection of human/answering machine twice during the call - it is only done once at the beginning of the call, so it looks like you will not be able to dial extensions on systems which have an auto attendant answer after dialing the main number.