VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Call Progress Tone Definitions

Hello again...

In the CONFIGLINE.XML (Vg4Dialogic) there are tags for each call progress tone. Can you explain or confirm (briefly) what each one does and how they are used within VG?

The ones listed are:

TID_DIAL_LCL - dial tone local

TID_DIAL_INTL - dial tone international

TID_DIAL_XTRA - dial tone extra

TID_BUSY1 - busy/engaged signal

TID_RNGBK1 - called line ringing tone

TID_BUSY2 - busy/engaged signal

TID_RNGBK2 - called ext

TID_DISCONNECT - disconnect tone

TID_FAX1 - fax1

TID_FAX2 - fax2

I assume that these TID tones should be defined and will match built-in predefined path statements such as {BUSY} or {NoAnswer}. Are 2 or more of the TID tones combined, eg: if BUSY1 OR BUSY2 then give a "{BUSY}" signal? I also assume that all these should be defined by examing the line or PBX tone specs, doing the frequency/cadence analysis and putting the numbers in all sections.

So what is DIAL_INTL & DIAL_XSTRA, etc and when are they used?

I assume that the FAX tones can be ignored?

Also, the following ones are listed under the note: "extra tones can be added":

DISCONNECT_PBX

DISCONNECT_Telstra

Presumably, I can add whatever I like here, eg: DISCONNECT_Tim and the first part ("DISCONNECT") will be parsed and acted upon as a disconnect tone signal, but how does VG act on this? Do I use this in a special path statement like: "On {DISCONNECT_Tim} goto [Play1]" ? And if so, can I add say "BUSY_3" and this will be seen as a custom busy signal?

Maybe I can specify any sort of code word like "HELPME" and this will be passed as a path control word, eg: "On {HELPME} goto PlayHelp"...

I guess that within the programming, there is a list of all tone definitions against a codeword, and that the dialogic card comes back with the tone pattern, you match it in your list and issue the codeword to the path control logic. If so, thats a nice extensible concept that could solve a lot of problems!!

Appreciate your confirmation of the above, I just have to get my VG system working next few days or my project (and VG) gets canned.

Thanks - Tim.

Are 2 or more of the TID tones combined, eg: if BUSY1 OR BUSY2 then give a "{BUSY}" signal?

Either of the TID_BUSY1 or TID_BUSY2 will result in BUSY signal. It allows you to define two busy tones to detect.

So what is DIAL_INTL & DIAL_XSTRA, etc and when are they used?

These are multiple defintions of Dial tone.

DISCONNECT_PBX

DISCONNECT_Telstra

Presumably, I can add whatever I like here, eg: DISCONNECT_Tim and the first part ("DISCONNECT") will be parsed and acted upon as a disconnect tone signal, but how does VG act on this?

Yes.

Do I use this in a special path statement like: "On {DISCONNECT_Tim} goto [Play1]"

Yes.

And if so, can I add say "BUSY_3" and this will be seen as a custom busy signal?

Yes. Easy to test this - just define a custom tone and see if the path gets taken.

Maybe I can specify any sort of code word like "HELPME" and this will be passed as a path control word, eg: "On {HELPME} goto PlayHelp"...

Yes.

Maybe you should outline in more details what challenges you are facing with your installation and we can then help better in resolving them.

I have 2 major challenges with VG, I was hoping that Vg4Dialogic would solve/improve them both:

My application is basically a message taking process with human call-centre integration. Have D120JCT behind a PBX and a public web server. Want to take messages and pass them to a web server. Messages to be accessible via Voice-Mail when receipient calls in and accessible via web online. The volume of messages is predicted to quite high, so any unnecessary loading or processing on the server is to be avoided at all costs. Both in terms of disc-space and cpu power.

I thought all was okay with TAPI VG, until ran into a problem with announced call-transfer. My PBX "featurephone" handsets will cutoff the holding caller if a DTMF tone is issued from the phone keypad. Because I MUST recall the line and take a message via VG Voice-Mail I have to change the phones (which I can't do) or use VG4Dialogic to do supervise the transfer so I don't have to use a 1 button. The mod you kindly supplied to change the "Accept" digit from a 1 unfortuately couldn't help as any keypad activity cuts the call (I can't believe a popular PBX does this, but there you go). So all I need to do is pass the call to a handset, have it answer by a person or revert back to the script on busy or no answer and go off to VG voice mail, without a button being pressed. Thats all (!)

My other challenge is the prompts and recording Quality: I wanted to improve the sound of prompts to callers. Your help with this is being acted upon now by examining the sound file conversion process.

As for recording, I don't want to have to deal with the continual creation and deletion of wav files if vox is what is being used.

I didn't want to have to rethink the whole WAV/VOX stuff, re-recording dozens and dozens of prompts (or converting them) and the other problems associated with this release (like all the config stuff and crashes on exit, etc) just to get call transfers.

It just seems like there is not enough documentation, too many fudges and you can have this but you can't have that. I think I need a lie down in a darkened room!

Thx - Tim.

So all I need to do is pass the call to a handset, have it answer by a person or revert back to the script on busy or no answer and go off to VG voice mail, without a button being pressed. Thats all (!)

The "Supervised Transfer" option would be the one to use here (as you mention already in your post). If your PBX supports some CTRI interface then we could use that to also confirm that transferred calls have been answered, and/or which extensions are on-hook.

I'd suggest you just stick with using 8kHz WAV files with VG for Dialogic - the reason why WAV is used instead of VOX is that all sound players out there can play WAV but not all can play VOX.