VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Star Key Issues In 5.2.4

It seems that 5.2.4 has brought about a change in the Get Numbers script module which affects the usage of the Star key.

In 5.2.3b previously, I was relying upon the following functionality described in the VoiceGuide help:

If a "on {*} " path is not specified then the * key has a similar function to the # key - when pressed it will be interpreted to signal end of data input.

In 5.2.4, the Star key does not send the data input. Rather it treats the Star key as a normal numeric key and adds it to the result string.

I can get around this by declaring an 'on {*}' path, but just wondered whether this change was intentional as it may have implications for other user's scripts already in operation.

Change was intentional - we got requests to allow * key to be captured as part of number. A significant number of customers want to use that key to represent a decimal point.

Just instruct callers to "press # to end input" instead of telling them to "press # or * to end input".

Pressing # to end input is pretty standard, and few systems use * to end input.

Thanks for the quick reply - we use the Star key as part of an identification system. Essentially a Hash-terminated ID represents a normal user. A Star-terminated ID represents an administrator.

Unfortunately this mentality is long-embedded, thus I cannot easily change this time. However, I will find other ways to achieve it!

I can get around this by declaring an 'on {*}' path

I've just realised that I can't get around this because the when using this method, the digits entered before the Star key are not captured.

Would you possibly consider including some kind of switch so that the Star key can be used as a terminator whilst keeping the digits as in 5.2.3b, whilst offering the new option for having the Star key as a decimal point?

Why do you need to use the * key as a terminator instead of using the # key like everybody else?

There is no technical reason why we cannot switch to using the Hash key solely, and I take your point about common usage of it. It's just that we have been differentiating between different types of user (normal and administrator) by using the Hash and Star keys for some time.

Therefore the only issue for us would be the changing of a process that has been in effect for quite some time. Not a major issue, but something we would have to consider nonetheless.

I have reverted to 5.2.3b in the meantime because this gives us the Star key functionality we need. I will give some thought about how to change the process so that we can dispense with the use of the Star key and revert to 5.2.4 sometime in the future whilst not adversely affecting our users.

In v5.2.3 (and prior) once a few numbers were entered and the * path was not defined then the * key acted the same as if the # key was pressed.

There would be no way of determining in following modules if caller ended the entering of numbers using the * key or the # key as this info was not stored in any RV's.

Can you please explain in more detail how did you design the previous script.. Can you maybe post a sample script showing what you are referring to and we can run it here on the v5.2.3 and v5.2.4 test systems here and see how differently it behaves.

There would be no way of determining in following modules if caller ended the entering of numbers using the * key or the # key as this info was not stored in any RV's.

...unless you use the $RV_LastKeyPress variable!

In 5.2.3b, I have a Get Numbers (called 'Get ID') object with no 'on {*}' path. The user can enter any number they like and the script moves on when they press either Star or Hash. In the following VBS module, I simply test '$RV_LastKeyPress' and this shows me which terminating key the user pressed and '$RV[Get ID]' gives me the ID entered.

Eg:

User enters '1234#', $RV[Get ID]='1234', $RV_LastKeyPress="#"

User enters '1234*', $RV[Get ID]='1234', $RV_LastKeyPress="*"

In 5.2.4, the Get Numbers object will not terminate when the user presses Star, so I declared an 'on {*}' path which allows the user to terminate. However in this case '$RV_LastKeyPress' still gives me the terminating key, but the '$RV[Get ID]' variable does not hold the ID (the digits entered by the user before the Star key was pressed).

Eg:

User enters '1234#', $RV[Get ID]='1234', $RV_LastKeyPress="#"

User enters '1234*', $RV[Get ID]='', $RV_LastKeyPress="*" <- This is my problem!

I hope this all makes sense!

Update your v5.2.4 installation with attached .exe

$RV[Get ID] should then store entered digits before * was pressed.

Let us know if there is anything else you come across.

VgMulti_5.2.4003.zip