VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

'barging In' Best-practice?

Hi there,

I am writing an application for VoiceGuide that potentially requires lots of situations where the user can 'barge in' on the application - in other words, pressing keys in advance of/during hearing the voice prompt read out to them.

Unfortunately my script makes lots of use of VB Script calls that take the keypresses given by the user and validate them through an external database API call. Therefore my script looks a bit like this:

VB Script Call -> Play Sample -> Get Keypress -> VB Script Call -> Play Sample... etc.

I know about the path facility in the Play sample that allows me to bypass the sample if the user presses a key during play. I also know about the $RV_LastKeyPress that appears to hold the most recent keypress. However, I am still having problems with keys being missed.

I think a lot of the problems are due to the test server that I've built is not particularly quick, leading to times when the VB Script is running that keypresses are being missed.

Just in case I'm being a bit silly - is there a 'best practice' for handling keypresses made at any stage of the application? Particularly during VB Script operations?

Many thanks!

I am writing an application for VoiceGuide that potentially requires lots of situations where the user can 'barge in' on the application - in other words, pressing keys in advance of/during hearing the voice prompt read out to them.

That's no problem, VG allows that.

Unfortunately my script makes lots of use of VB Script calls that take the keypresses given by the user and validate them through an external database API call.

If a key is pressed while a VBScript module is running then you would loose it (unless you have key paths specified in the VBScript, in which case the keypress would stop the VBSCript...).

Could you give us more information on what it is that you are trying to do?

Are you trying to run some validation against a database after each keypress?

Why not just use a Get numbers module, let them enter what they want to enter and then run the validation?