VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Limiting Message Repeats In Outbound Dialing

I am evaluation Voice Guide (5.2.3063) and have a question about outbound dialing. This feature works very well, but there are 2 things that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I am using a voice modem currently.

1) How can I limit the number of times a message repeats? I don't ever hear a message to press '0' to acknowledge a call, so the customers will not know to do that. Also, on an answering machine, it repeats at least 10 times (I haven't actually counted) before hanging up.

2) How can I set a cut off time for calls in the outbound queue? I am using this as a reminder service and would like to have the calls removed from the queue at a certain time even if they were never completed. For example, someone with an appointment at 2:00 on Tuesday should not receive a call at 4:00 to remind them.

I appreciate the help. I have evaluated several other IVR systems and so far this is by far the best value I have found.

Jon

Just at the outset let me strongly suggest that if you want to do outbound dialing then you should get a Dialogic card. You will have much better results with it.

1) How can I limit the number of times a message repeats?

You can use the "Answer Timeout" setting to determine how long VoiceGuide will wait for call to be acknowledged.

I don't ever hear a message to press '0' to acknowledge a call

The file AcceptAutoCall.wav should be playing and the contents of that file are: "This is an automated telephone call, please press any number on the telephone keypad to accept this call".

If you are hearing something else please post a copy of the TraceLog showing an outgoing call.

2) How can I set a cut off time for calls in the outbound queue? I am using this as a reminder service and would like to have the calls removed from the queue at a certain time even if they were never completed. For example, someone with an appointment at 2:00 on Tuesday should not receive a call at 4:00 to remind them.

First of all you should scale your system to ensure adequate performance targets are met.

In answer to your question, there is a 'do not call after this time' setting available to you - but you will need to delete the expired calls from the database yourself as well - otherwise the number will be called on the following day as soon as the current system time goes over the 'do not call before this time' setting...

Thanks for the quick response. The support forum on this site is a huge selling point.

I am currently checking prices for a Dialogic board and will definitely purchase one before the system goes production.

How would you recommend I handle deleting the expired calls from the database? I can easily see them in the Access database, but obviously I will want this process to be automated. Is this something I can accomplish within VG or will I need to write a separate tool to monitor the database and delete records as needed?

Thanks again,

Jon

To delete entries which you consider expired and which have not yet even been called (due to overwhelming call volume etc) you will need to write a separate script/tool.

Note that you can use the DayTimeStop and DaysCallAllowed field to ensure that the call would not be attempted for at least another week. Also as you can specify whatever number you want for 'Priority' you can further use that field to help identify expired calls. Similar technique can be used by inserting identifying values/strings in the RV (Result Variable) field.

We could add a 'Call expires after this time' field to the database and add some code inside VoiceGuide to look at this field when making calls (essentially the opposite of the "ActivateTime" field), but this would be a chargeable modification (email sales@voiceguide.com for a quote if you want us to do this).\

And as mentioned before, if you anticipate large call volume the best option is just to scale the system to a size that will be able to handle peak volumes.