VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Odbc Connection Speed Problems

Dear Support Team!

I try to connect to a mysql database server placed on a linux on the local network.

Everything seems to be OK, but:

Before it connects to mysql server thru ODBC, VoiceGuide attempts a microsoft-ds and a microsoft-ssn (network port 445 and 139) connection.

If a samba server is intsalled and started on linux, the above mentioned two ports are open, so after 1 connect attemption these ports, comes the mysql connection, and can estabilish in a correct time interval (max. 1 second).

But if there's no samba server installed (as it is no one on our production system), there are 3(!) connect attempt to these ports (ssn, ds) and after these connections seem to timeout, comes only the mysql connection, and runs the query correctly, but in min. 5 seconds. it's too slow.

Is there something to do about this, if i do not want to open these ports on my production system?

(I've tested my mysql odbc data sources from its configuration panel, but there were no connect attempt to the two mentioned ports, only mysql connection. This happens only on VoiceGuide->Mysql odbc connections)

Thanx,

{peter}

If you have the ODBC connect string specified then VG will only try to open the ODBC connection. VG itself does not open the ports which you mention.

Sounds like it's the MySQL ODBC drivers which try to open these different ports - maybe you should see if newer drivers are available or ask MySQL people for assistance here...

i do not think, that this is an ODBC driver problem, cos as I wrote above, MySQL ODBC driver gives a possibility to test the mysql connections from the application, that comes with odbc driver. as I enter the same data, as in the VoiceGuide ( ODBC;DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};server=192.168.1.44;database=xxxx;user=xxxx;password=xxx;port=3306;) ), and start to test the connection from the ODBC application, the only port, that this application retrives to connect to, is 3306.

as i start a query from VG, 149 and 445 connections are before mysql connection. and it waits for this connections to timeout 3 times, and only after this comes the mysql connection, making it this way very slow.

i do not want to open these ports, if not needed.

regards,

{peter}

There is nothing in VG that we know about that can be used to stop the 149 and 445 ports from being opened. As I mentioned VG itself is not opening those ports - it is just passing the ODBC connection request through MS layers onto the ODBC Drivers...

Maybe you can have a look at the ODBC Data Source Administrator applet in Control Panel and see if there are any settings there which can be changed...

I found reducing the ODBC Pooling Timeout for the Mysql OBDC Driver in the ODBC Adminstration helped this problem.

Under the ODBC Adminstration, go to Connection Pooling

Find your Mysql ODBC Driver, change it's timeout to 5 seconds.

Seemed to work for me. Your mileage may vary.