VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Call Center Scenario

A CSR is sitting at their computer, wearing headset waiting for an inbound call.

1) Is it the PBX, Telco, headset vendor, or VG that prevents the extension from being “off hook” or seeming as if the phone is being used?

Based on the VG white paper it seems that VG will work perfectly for routing calls to extensions. But I need to pass the caller ID information to the recipient’s computer so that it may do a database lookup and present the data in an ASP.NET page at the. Obviously, I will need to have the page open and waiting for a signal, but;

2) I am curious to how are you folks communicating from VG to other computer applications on the same LAN ?

“For training purposes this call may be monitored”

3) Does VG have the ability to monitor a call without it being called?

A. VG answers call

B. VG call predetermined monitoring extension.

C. VG calls final extension.

D. VG connects all 3 and is done with the call.

This is typical of all of the call centers I’ve seen, and I already know the answer from the VG people will be to check with my ASP.NET people and Telco. So I am asking these questions mostly to the forum guru’s.

it seems that VG will work perfectly for routing calls to extensions.

Correct, VG can route call to extension by either doing a hookflash, or dialing out on another line and 'tromboning' or if there is PBX integration the it can just signal the PBX to take a particular call and send to a particular extension.

that prevents the extension from being “off hook”

Not too sure what you mean by this..

Do you want CSRs to not be able to stop calls coming to them by taking the extension off-hook?

how are you folks communicating from VG to other computer applications on the same LAN ?

You have a number of ways in which you can communicate info to the CSR's computer - most are done from with a VBScript ran in the VG's "Run VBScript" module or by calling a program through the "Run Program" module. What you call/run depends on what signal/message you need to send...

“For training purposes this call may be monitored”

This can be done as well. VG would not 'be done' with the call until the call itself is finished - VG would essentially need to set up a conference call between 3 parties in which 1 party is in 'listen only' mode. This would take up 3 lines on the system and these lines would be taken up for as long as the call lasts.

Thank you

[that prevents the extension from being “off hook” ]

You are correct. I wouldn’t want the CSR’s to delay the connection of the call. With most phone systems once the handset is lifted and a line is selected the line is “in use”, but if you do not dial out then the line goes “dead” (which may tell vg that the line is unavailable). I believe what I’m asking is if there is an “auto connect” feature?

I am trying to determine how much time the CSR is “available” for inbound calls verses just sitting at their desk doing other tasks.

I think I can do this pragmatically, by using some sort of log in/out script and the VG log that contains the start/end time and duration of the last call on that line.

[how are you folks communicating from VG to other computer applications on the same LAN ?]

Again, you are correct with “run vbscript”. What I am looking for is some sort of “Instant Messaging ” that would notify the CSR that a call was sent to their extension, and provide the CRS with $RV_CIDNAME, $RV_CIDNUMBER, etc…. “Run vbscript” could easily communicate with other computers on the LAN, unfortunately any displayed results are returned to the initiating computer (which is the phone server) where the information is then presented, what I need are the results to stay at the CSR’s monitor .. “browser opens and goes to a specific web page”

I think I need to work from the CSR’s computer back to the computer running VG. As I mentioned in my initial inquiry.

I believe what I’m asking is if there is an “auto connect” feature?

This can only be achieved if we have some PBX integration and the PBX allows a command to connect a call to the extension regardless of whether the extension is on-hook or off-hook.

Does your PBX support such commands over it's CTI link?

I am trying to determine how much time the CSR is “available” for inbound calls verses just sitting at their desk doing other tasks.

I think I can do this pragmatically, by using some sort of log in/out script and the VG log that contains the start/end time and duration of the last call on that line.

Yes, just looking at the time between end of one call and start of another would give you that.

[Does your PBX support such commands over it's CTI link?]

This is still the planning stages, i will insure that this feature is part of the PBX, and will contact you in the future for connectivity.

Thanks again