VoiceGuide IVR Software Main Page

Inband Detection Time - 5 Sec. Default

I am noticing that some of my callers are hanging up because of the 5 second pause waiting for more inband info. Is it possible to shorten that time? I don't think it will create any problems so far as the inband info. is concerned

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Brent

Is your PBX sending Inband info or not?

If the PBX is sending Inband Signaling the callers will just hear a ringing tone until the Inband Signaling transmission has finished, and will then hear VoiceGuide start the script immediately after they have stopped listening to the ringing tone.

If your PBX is not sending Inband Signaling then you should turn that option off.

As you noticed, if you turn on the Inband Signaling option and your PBX is not sending any Inband Signaling DTMF tones, then the caller will hear VoiceGuide answer the call and then wait for up to 5 seconds to receive Inband Signaling from the PBX... and after 5 seconds it will time out waiting for those tones and start running the script...

If there is some other problem happening on your system could you please send us a copy of VoiceGuide's Debug Printout which captures the problem, this will allow us to see what is going wrong.

(When running the script click on VoiceGuide's View menu and select 'Event Trace Log' option - any log information will then appear in this window. You must open the trace window before making the call.)

Thanks for the response.

The reality is that part of my script utilizes the inband (working great by the way) and part of my script doesn't utilize it. The parts of the script that don't utilize it obviously waits for Inband DTMF that doesn't come. I was just wondering if I could shorten the time so that the parts of the script that don't utilize the in band DTMF would create such a long 5 second gap.

Please advise. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks Sincerely,

Brent

Inband Signaling detection is done before a script is started, and if enabled it is done for all incoming calls on all lines.

Do you mean that calls on the same line sometimes arrive with Inband Signaling and sometimes they do not?

Or do you want certain phone lines to use Inband Signaling and some not?

Can you perhaps post the script (just the .VGS) with comments which can make this clearer?

I guess you did answer the question."Sometimes the calls on the same line sometimes arrive with Inband Signaling and sometimes they do not".

It actually depends on how the line is transferred (it's origin). The inband DTMF info is used when

transferring to the predetermined VM port (configured by the PBX) when the port is used as a standard extension (such as a informational), then the inband is not necessary.

I realize this isn't a big concern, I just notice that some callers interpret the 5 second wait time as a disconnect (I guess they are in too big a hurry to wait).

I guess a solution may be multi-fold. Possibly to simply shorten the inband wait time or maybe to have a port by port enable/disable "inband" option instead of a "global" one. This would allow me to reconfigure to avoid inband on some ports all together.

I am not totally sure what the best solution would be. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Brent

Usually when a PBX is set up to send Inband Signaling info it sends it for all calls - and then the contents of the Inband Signaling can be used to determine if a call is a voicemail transfer or something else...

Can you set up your PBX so that it sends Inband information for all calls it sends to VoiceGuide, and then use VoiceGuide's Inband Signaling definition file to extract appropriate information from the Inband information. Then no-one would get any delays. That’s how most systems are set up...

What PBX are you using and can you post the specs for what Inband info gets sent by the PBX.

I guess I will try to do a little better job of explaining my set-up.

Option: 1 Basically I have a 4 port Dialogic system. I am using two ports(211 and 212 in roll-over sequence) for taking care of the Auto Attendant (basically receiving the calls into the office and tranferring them to the appropriate extensions.

Option: 2 Ports 213 and 214 (also in roll-over sequence) serve as the VM ports (assigned by PBX software). As far as I can tell, these are the only two ports that utilize the in-band DTMF info.(91[forward to VM] and 92[retrieve from VM] plus voicemail extension mailbox)

This allow calls to be transferred directly to an extensions VoiceMail box without any other assistance

by the caller.

Option: 3 I also have allowed the direct access of ports 213 and 214 by callers after hours for access to an emergency paging option. When they dial into these ports, the inband information is sent but I had to configure the scripting utilizing an "evaluate expression" $RV(inband_TOC) Path: $RV(Inband_TOC) on (91) Got [Voicemail Box $RV(Inband_Extension)] ; on (True or Fals) go to (pro Comm Main - press 0 or 1); to eliminate the 5 second lag time.

The problem I am having is in option 1 where the software is waiting 5 seconds for inband infomation that does not come. This is where some callers are hanging up.

I am using a KCE PBX-416 system with 4 ports of Dialogic ProLine2V.

I am extremely happy with the progress I have made with this hardware and your amazing software and support. I guess I am trying to tweak any issues and make a great VM system even better

Opt1AutoAttendant_ext211.txt

And you cannot set the PBX to send any Inband Signalling on the Auto Attendant calls? This as I’ve mentioned before would fix this issue for you…

Anyway, I've just been told that we will allow a user settable timeout value for Inband Signal detection in v4.9.1 - this will allow you to shorten the timeout to around a second or so on your system.

PS.

It looks like the Option 3 results in

$RV[inband_TOC] = "92"

$RV[inband_Extension] = "213"

Which is very essentially a voicemail retrieval Inband Signal message - but for extension "213" (ie: the same extension on which the call arrived). So you could also set up an Evaluate Expression module which evaluates $RV[inband_Extension] and you could use these paths to go to the paging option:'

On {213} Goto [pro Comm Main - press 0 or 1]

On {214} Goto [pro Comm Main - press 0 or 1]

Hey,

Thanks for the P.S. tip. You have been generous with your time for my situation. I will anxiously await the new release with the expanded adjustment features.

Thanks for your continued efforts to interact with you users. I realize this comes with a cost. This is a signature of your success.

Brent

ps. I will also contact the PBX manufacturer to see if they offer an expansion of the Inband DTMF info.

Did the adjustable "inband wait-time" come out with 4.9.1? If so, could I get a copy of this. I could still benefit from that feature.

Thanks,

Brent

Inband Signaling max wait time will be adjustable in v5.1Beta4 onwards. All versions up to and including Beta3 have the Inband Signaling max wait time hard set to 5 seconds.